Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Steve Irwin is dead

shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
.... and a million animals cry out in relief.

The guy hugged a stingray. Barb to the left chest = toast.

Idiot.

I'm so glad that he finally paid the ultimate price for being such a moron.

Only people I feel sorry for are his kids and direct family.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i agree. muppet. and likewise i feel sorry for his family, especially the kids.

he did do a lot to raise awareness of the environment/nature etc, and while he was a muppet i do think that it helped or else he'd have just been another wildlife presenter. i dont know about anyone else, but off the top of my head i can only name 1 other, and thats Sir David Attenbourgh
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    That's what happens to people who "know what they are going."

"Danger, danger! Crikey, what a nasty little fella. He's angry, he wants to bite me. That's Australia's most venomous snike. Let's see what happens when I stick my finger in its cloaka."

While he will be missed by many, he was a little wacky and he's been playing with death for years. I'm not surprized at all. He's been bitten many times before. Of all things he could have died from, he dies from a stingray's sting. How stupid is that?
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Wow. i mean i realise some people didnt like him, but have a little respect, sheesh.
  • Shadow Boxer, shut up.

Sad to see him go....say what you will, he did alot to raise awareness about animal conservation....

At least his death was probably near-instant....
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    A thoracic injection of any toxin is going to kill you, on the spot. I doubt he even made it to the boat.

I'll bet London to a brick he was trying to ride it, or in some way invade the poor 'ray's space and frightened the crap out of it. 'Rays are really docile critters, you have to really startle or hurt em to get stabbed by one and whilst they do have a reasonable reach, to get a shot in the thoracic region.... you we're doing something truly stupid.

I've acutually stepped on a 4 foot wide stingray on a tidal flat at one point. The wind was picking up the water a little so I couldn't see the bottom much at all, as I waded back to shore. It shot out from under my feet so fast I was on my arse before I had time to react... and no... no attempt to use its tail. They only use thier tail when they have no other choice. I was told it was hilarious to watch.. very Warner brothers 'rug pulled out from under me' stuff. Scared the living crap out of me, but I was none the worse for wear, and I may add... it wasn't just one foot, on the edge of a fin, it was both feet on this particular animal with my full weight before it decided I was causing it too much discomfort. 'Rays are really tolerant critters. I've seen 'em landed on boats before, and still not lashing about with thier tails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Sensationalising eco-tourism and ecological pursuits is not noble.

Raise awareness, sure, but don't be an irresponsible dickhead in the process.
    I have no respect for someone whom doesn't respected and grant due dignity to animals, especially to ones which can maim or kill you.

He also taught alot of people exactly how NOT to deal with animals. Can you imagine an 8 year old boy deciding to try to handle a Rattler like his 'hero' ? The very people his shows appeal to are the ones most at risk of doing something inanely stupid.

You don't tease, harass, catch, prod and poke every animal you come across, just because you can. I remember seeing Steve desperately wanting to catch one variety of lethal snake.. and he couldn't get the permit to do something that stupid...

Not to mention the attention seeking show-off boofhead antics in themselves. Every time I saw that twat on the TV I'd cringe, because he embodies so much of whats fucked about the Australian image overseas. We're not stupid lairy pratts.

Ahash, you should know, on principile alone... asking me to shut up is in the very least unwise.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE]
    "Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," [Jack] Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," [Jack] Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. [B]Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do.[/B] I think he knew what he was doing."
    [/QUOTE]

That's exactly what got him killed and he paid the ultimate price for it.

You can watch any episode of his show and you'll see sequences where you just shake your head. They seemed more like circus acts than true animal documentaries at times.

Nevertheless it's a tragic loss.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Also, the concensus thus far is that the venom from the sting did nothing, but that the barbed stinger ripped a hole in his heart after piercing his chest. If you think about it, the odds by which that has to happen are absolutely astounding.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    He might seem crazy but at least he died doing what he loved, how many people can say that?

(Ok technically none because they're all dead but you get the idea)

Worf
  • Conspiracy theory! It was in fact a mechanized creature designed to spy on people and if necessary, eliminate them if they got too close.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    An ironic and fitting way to end a career...

I came face to face with a Copper Head the other day and I'll be damned if I wasn't going to show him proper respect! ;)

TV poisons anyones professionalism...

Sad day for the family he leaves behind...

Cheers!
  • ha...ha...hahahahaha damn wonder whats gonna go on his grave..."That was a wild one!"
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]he embodies so much of whats fucked about the Australian image overseas. We're not stupid lairy pratts.[/B][/QUOTE]
    :laugh:
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I fell sorry seeing him go, he was a cool guy. From what Ive heard, he was swimming above it when it lounged. Died instantaneously.
  • They have it on tape I have heard. He pulled out the Barb and died.
  • You know thats gonna hit the interweb in a few hours...How does a guy die from a stringray barb! OF all the ways the guy could go...

Im gonna die of a serious hernia probably while fucking Cytherea or something.
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]:laugh: [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah... I wouldn't want SB to be my image of an Australian, either.
    man... hes not even cold and the tasteless and abhorrent jokes have made thier first appearance...

E-mail doing the rounds contains :

'I guess Steve forgot his SPF 30+... otherwise he could have kept out those harmful rays...'

Much as I despise the guy, that's not appropriate.

Curz.. WHY.. I so don't give a damn about what you may think of me.
  • I feel sorry for his family, but seriously, was anyone truly surprised? I mean, when you deal with the deadliest animals in the world day after day, something is bound to happen. I just figured it would be a crocodile.
    He died doing what he loved. He probably knew a lot more about crocs than mantas.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PSI-KILLER [/i]
    [B]They have it on tape I have heard. He pulled out the Barb and died. [/B][/QUOTE]

If he pulled the barb, that makes him doubly stupid.

First rule of any penetrative wound, if you have the option, DO NOT remove the item which caused it in the first place. In most cases, whatever made the hole is going to be a pretty good fit for the hole naturally... so you keep the sucker in there in the hope that it will act like a plug until you get to stabilising/surgical help. In some cases, it's not easy to overcome the very natural tendency to want to get the item out of you, shock and adrenaline make you do some crazy things sometimes but if you can keep a handle on it... leave whatever stabbed you, in-situ.

In this case, it may have made zero difference, but the point still stands.

Virtually every kind of physical trauma leads back to one crucial point, human beings rely on thier bloodflow. The battle is almost always with keeping blood in your circulatory system, or putting more fluid back into the system to keep you going. Break as many bones as you like, rupture a few organs, get a few 3rd degree burns... but whatever you do... don't sever an artery or a decent sized vein.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    SB: If it's poisonous, do you dare leave it in where it continues pulling more poison into your system? That's one hard to decide risk: leave it in and risk even more poison, or pull it out and risk it having punctured something it's now stopping up.

Also, in his case, if the poisonous barb punctured his heart, it's only a matter of very little time before that poison gets pumped throughout his body. About the worst place of having poison introduced.
    I always thought he'd die by an animal, but i always figured it would be a croc or a tiger or the like,

As someone else said, he did die doign what he loved, if you have to go, if its doing what you love doing, then i guess its not so bad a way to go.

I feel bad for his family, especially his 8 year old daughter, sicne aparently he was filming a segment for her TV show.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]SB: If it's poisonous, do you dare leave it in where it continues pulling more poison into your system? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not familliar with Stingrays, but my question is.. does the barb come off like porcupine spines? or is it more like the barbs on a Dogfish, where they are attached and it uses them like a spear repeatedly.

If the barb doesn't come off the animal, then he really had no choice in pulling it out, as it was still attached to the animal, that would have been struggling to get away and coul dhave caused more damage.
    The barb stays attached to the stingray and is yanked back out. That is the third aspect in which it causes damage. First is the initial penetration, followed by the locally delivered poison. The rapid removal just adds more to the already painful scenario.

"That's an endangered species at best. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?"
    "Revenge."

"I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. Possibly with dynamite."
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    [IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/2vdlno1.gif[/IMG]
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]The barb stays attached to the stingray and is yanked back out. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not always and the odd thing about a stingray barb is that its not bone, it's actually fibrous, more like rhino horn, it can break off.
    That's certainly an exception, though. It's designed as a simple defensive weapon, and while breaking off might work in the end...yanking flesh out with it works pretty well, too. As long as it does the damage and allows the creature to escape.
    He was probably thinking more about the creature than himself when he yanked it out. Its pretty stressful for an animal to be attached to a human.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]"That's an endangered species at best. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?"
    "Revenge."

"I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. Possibly with dynamite." [/B][/QUOTE]

" I'm going to fight it, but I'll let it live. What about my dynamite? "
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Steve irwin.....RIP....

shadow boxer: I want to say something about stupid behaviour, but instead I just shake my head while reading your first post...