Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

2 days late, but

Comments

• eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]and didn't take place on the holodeck.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I could have sworn he said Holodoc - as in the emergency holographic doctor. Ironically he was the only character I ever thought had any depth to it.

Maybe its because I rarely watch ST.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You're right, he did too. I float corrected. And yes, he was pretty much the only character with any depth.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    My favorite Holodoc moment is when he was explaining to Tom Paris how Nelix could use a pair of holographic lungs until his real ones were recovered.

"But they're holograms? How could they work?"
    "Slap me."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Slap me."
    *Tom slaps the doctor. The doc's face distorts as Tom's had passes through it. The Doctor immediatly slaps Tom with his very solid palm.*
    "OW!"

God, it would be fun to be a hologram, and to become immaterial at will. I'd just walk up to people and provoke them, and watch them get frustrated as they try to land a hit.

Okay, that wasn't my favorite. My favorite was the teaser to Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy, when the doc sang opera while subdoing a violent, Pon Farr-afflicted Tuvok.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Ohh I forgot to brag about this.

I was there, watching The Gathering, just over 10 years ago.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Ohh I forgot to brag about this.

I was there, watching The Gathering, just over 10 years ago. [/B][/QUOTE]

What, you too?

I remember reading the TV Guide article about B5 the week before it came out, it had a little on inch picture of G'Kar and Londo next to the paragraph where they explained what B5 was. I thought, what the hell, I'm not doing anything interesting on Wednesday, Lets check this out.

It came on right after TimeTrax on PTEN...hehe

At least it did here.

Wow 10 years.....I'm getting old....:D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Yeah. I said nothing of the Holodeck. Don't get me started on that wonderdevice. :p

And DS9 kicked major ass. It's my favorite trek series, with a whole slew of incredible episodes. Hell, almost everything after season 4 kicked ass in all areas.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I was really little, 3rd gade I think. i thought it was really cool, and the funny vorlong thing scared the **** out of me!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Yeah. I said nothing of the Holodeck. Don't get me started on that wonderdevice. :p[/b][/quote]

The worst thing with the holodeck is that it took them all of 4 episodes to get it into Enterprise.

[quote][b]And DS9 kicked major ass. It's my favorite trek series, with a whole slew of incredible episodes. Hell, almost everything after season 4 kicked ass in all areas. [/B][/QUOTE]

DS9 had a really good story arc, but they kept insisting on throwing in their little independant episodes which threw off the arc and meant that the end of it was squashed into a few episodes when it should have had an entire season.
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    I saw the gathering when it first aired in the UK - must have been 8 years ago now. Didn't really like it.
    When they got round to showing Midnight on the firing line, I was hooked.*

Admittedly the first time round I saw less that half the episodes, including missing large parts of season 3 (like point of no return - left a bit of a plot gap).

It wasn't my fault, I was all of 12 at the time, and they were showing it after 1am. I also didn't know how to work the VCR. :(
  • Yeah those independant DS9 episodes really didn't work well. It gets annoying when you watch one episode with a huge battle and you really want to see what happen on the next episode. But when it comes out it deals with a crew member being thrown back into the past and finds himself having to deal with Racial Prejudice!!!:mad:
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stacman [/i]
    [B]
    I am forced to agree with you on most points. Though I did like pretty much every Voyager Borg episode. [/B][/QUOTE]

the november, febuary and may sweeps episodes?

they turned the borg from a dangerous enemy that was truly unique and compelling to a ratings push.
    I hate what Voyager did to the Borg.
  • I think we're being a bit harsh on those DS9 intermediate episodes. They show nicely that life does go on, even while war rages outside. Some of my favorites come from those episodes, including "Badda-Bing Badda-Bang" which is great.
    And hell, don't forget about "Far Beyond the Stars"

It's not quite an arc story, but it does run on the Benny plot line (I think that's what it was called).

And it was the best episode ever. I don't know of many shows which have pulled off a topical episode as well as DS9 did. And the fact that they could do such while forwarding the plot was simply incredible. The acting was some of the best I've seen, and the portrayals so incredibly realistic.

It's just an incredible episode that made the show for me. And true, it was season five, but that still was a great way to go.

I liked the casual nature of some of those non-arc episodes. As Biggles said, they showed that life does go on.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Far beyond the stars was a good ep. No other DS9 ep. comes close to it. On the other hand most of DS9 never comes close to either TNG or TOS.
  • True, some of the DS9 episodes were almost as good as TNG and at times I liked DS9 almost as much as TNG, but Voyager episodes never came even close to DS9, let alone TNG. ("Far beyond the stars" was a good episode, the actors played the 50's characters superbly. It was a dam good episode)
    Eh....

TNG is overrated, but still very good.

My ranking has it as DS9, TNG, TOS, VOY, then ENT.

They need more episodes like Cold Front. i.e. Episodes that actually make you not want to gouge out your eyes.
    I would put ENT ahead of VOY. It may be bad, but it isn't that bad. :)
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    We all know TNG was the best!

Beverly! :p

Also, no captain could get away with drinking 'Earl Grey, Hot' like Picard did.
    Yes, Bev was a good reason to love TNG, but DS9 had someone better...

Dax! Oh Jadzia, why did you have to be zapped and die?
    Although then Ezri came along. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]the november, febuary and may sweeps episodes?

they turned the borg from a dangerous enemy that was truly unique and compelling to a ratings push. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is kind of true. The Borg used to be h4rdc0re. Then Voyager raped them. Entirely. Anyone remmember best of both worlds? The massive number of ships that DIED? Well, Voyager completely screwed that.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    [QUOTE]My favorite Holodoc moment is when he was explaining to Tom Paris how Nelix could use a pair of holographic lungs until his real ones were recovered.[/QUOTE]

..if they could make HOLOGRAMS of his lungs...then....why couldn't they just REPLICATE A SET..

Grr, see, it's thinks like that that make me not like star treck..spend 40mins figuring out that they need to recalibrate the technobabble, 10mins doing it, complete with tense music and a computer-voice countdown to death, and 10mins of misc character time (this is including ad time in a 1hr ep).

DS9 tried to pull off what B5 did with a story arc, but their pacing of plot advance episodes to "character building/daily life" episodes was not even close to how well B5 pulled it off..that and DS9 only started a consistant arc after B5 started to become popular..hmm..wonder why ;)
  • The Borg comment is true. In "Best of both worlds" and "first contact" one borg cube destroyed entire federatoin fleets.(well, not in first contact) But here comes Voyager alone and it destryos any borg ship like it was target practice. I no longer got excited whe I saw a borg ship in Voyager, because I knew they were going to come up with another way to destroy it!!! :mad:
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    ......my problem with the borg plot lines, including best of both worlds which was excellent other than this.

you know they are dangerous. You know their intent. You can still beam aboard their ship. BEAM A FRIGGING CHUNK OF ANTIMATTER OVER AND BLOW IT TO NOTHINGNESS.
    I don't care if DS9 ripped off B5 or vice versa. THey're both really great shows, and I really enjoyed watching both.

And hell, I'm still going to buy both on DVD. :P
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Keyan [/i]
    [B]..if they could make HOLOGRAMS of his lungs...then....why couldn't they just REPLICATE A SET..
    [/B][/QUOTE]

You can't replicate living matter. Though I suppose they could grow a set, or something... Anyhoo, I think it's impossible for hololungs to exist. It just wouldn't work... I mean, to rebuild the nerve/arterial connections between the lungs and the body would be damn near impossible, but hey, el Doctor is infallible.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarkKnight [/i]
    [B]The Borg comment is true. In "Best of both worlds" and "first contact" one borg cube destroyed entire federatoin fleets.(well, not in first contact) But here comes Voyager alone and it destryos any borg ship like it was target practice. I no longer got excited whe I saw a borg ship in Voyager, because I knew they were going to come up with another way to destroy it!!! :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

First contact is plausible, because it the ships were still being whoopassed untill Picard came along and brought his considerable expereince with the Borg to bear. Ahh... the wonders of the Enterprise E. Such a beautiful ship it is.

"Tough little ship."
    "...Little?"
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Keyan [/i]
    [B]......my problem with the borg plot lines, including best of both worlds which was excellent other than this.

you know they are dangerous. You know their intent. You can still beam aboard their ship. BEAM A FRIGGING CHUNK OF ANTIMATTER OVER AND BLOW IT TO NOTHINGNESS. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bah. Beaming only works when you can extend the length of the show. :p

I have had many a conversation with Sanfam about the things that they COULD do but don't because of drama. For instance, the turbolifts could just be replaced with lots of transporters. But as he pointed out, a lot of important conversation takes place in the turbolifts.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Yes, Bev was a good reason to love TNG, but DS9 had someone better...
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Anyone know why Pulaski came along in Season 2?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I would put ENT ahead of VOY. It may be bad, but it isn't that bad. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh god no. Oh no oh no oh no. Voy is definetly better then ENT. I can't really explain why because they both suck, but something makes me want to watch voyager more. It could just be the technology appeal.

Speaking of tech, does anyone here notice how the Enterprise D had the same Warp Core as the Enterprise A Refit in one of the movies? I'll grab a few JPEGs and post them when I get home.