Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The new Bab 5 RPG unveiled

I was suprised not to see this mentioned here, as the news is a few days old.

The new Babylon 5 RPG (d20 based) has now been confirmed by Mongoose Publishing.

[url]http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=7350[/url]

The mailing list I read this on (dedicated to the old Babylon Project RPG (subscribed by sending an email to [email]babylon-project-subscribe@yahoogroups.com[/email] if you wish)) managed to get a scoop on the title direct from the publisher:

The Babylon 5 Roleplaying Game and Factbook.

Subtitile: Signs and Portents

Well, I'm happy at least.

Jason.

Comments

• C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    COOL!!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Interesting I'm going to do some digging on this....
  • d20? Ugh! Why? Glad it's being released, but I'd have been much happier with a d6 or d10 based system.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    d10 systems where 1 and 10 act as a % multiplier are best ;)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I would have gone with GURPS, personally. Or a system that a couple of my friends came up with that seems to be very good.
  • Ah, but if it was GURPS then it would have merely been a module and not a game within itself and you'd need the GURPS core book to play. Most people would rather have just one book to buy and then they're good to go I think.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I wonder how well the RPG hack will work with this game.......
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    D20 is a decent system, if they would just drop the levels, and go full on with skill based system, Id like it even more :)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    COOL! We all need to buy it just so the powers that be know thay B5 is damn cool.
  • Yeah, but that whole buying thing requires cash. :(
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Firestar [/i]
    [B]Ah, but if it was GURPS then it would have merely been a module and not a game within itself and you'd need the GURPS core book to play. Most people would rather have just one book to buy and then they're good to go I think. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly. A lot of people appear to be unimpressed with the d20 system. The key was, either use d20, or make their own system. The old Babylon Project, whilst it had some great ideas (contested tasks as per d20 now, "forced" character backgrounds) was also very clunky in some areas of gameplay. "Yet another RPG system to learn" is often a good reason why players don't play. My group actually refused to play it after a few months.

That said, the publisher has indicated on our mailing list that they have modified d20 to suit the game style they were looking for and to suit the B5 universe. They even stated that at one point they had gone so far as they had no levels! However, after testing they decided the game needed levels, so they went back in. They have been quite vocal in saying it is not "D&D in space".

I for one am glad it is d20. This means my group will only need to learn the specifics of the B5 game. General mechanics will hopefully be the same or similar. This means my group will be more likely to play.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    [url]http://www.redsector.net/[/url]
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    I think we've found an interesting use for the IRC room....
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    Sweet,only a couple of months away,looks like i'll be getting this and season two dvd's:)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Does it come with friends to play it with?

Oh...Falcon1, was this the secret B5 project you mentioned a few months ago?

Worf
  • *hyperventilates*

I just hope the bloody thing will get done.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    I think the more intersting point is that Warner appears to be licensing B5 again.
    Now that the gate is open, who knows what else will come through?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobo [/i]
    [B]I think the more intersting point is that Warner appears to be licensing B5 again.
    Now that the gate is open, who knows what else will come through? [/B][/QUOTE]

Lots... and lots... of spam. :p
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    hmm...

Now they just need to port it to the computer :D

sorry, never got into the PnP RPG's.
  • All games should start on the computer, and then be ported to other consoles. It's the best way, and we stop getting screwed over by companies that promise us good games. IE: Halo.
  • I'd disagree with that. Some games are pure console games, they're not that fun on a PC, but they're a blast on a console.
  • Such as?
    Mario Cart 64
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Correct. Some games really suck on the computer due to simplicity. Games such as RTS's cannot be effectively used on Consoles. Many sports and fighting games also do not work effectively on the PC.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    An RPG?! It has to be a freakin' RPG? Yeeegh! I don't think so. Gimme a space-sim/3D shooter any day.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]An RPG?! It has to be a freakin' RPG? Yeeegh! I don't think so. Gimme a space-sim/3D shooter any day. [/B][/QUOTE]

YEAAH! I agree.
    B5 has never seemed to fit with an RPG type universe. Now, Aliens (the movie) would be a damn cool RPG (or a cool stratagy game). I agree that the fact that WB is liscensing is good, however too little too late for Agents of Gaming (grrr...)
    From what I have read this might be a very good rpg. I hate people saying this is bad when no one has tried it.
  • Pens, paper, dice?!

BAH!

Where's ITF (sniffle)..
    I would much rather have ITF (or something far better) released when it should than an RPG, to be sure.........

*salutes*
    Im not knocking it, just dont know how well a b5 RPG will work. But I am sure willing to scrape together the money to play it.