Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Narn Atrocities

Has anyone ever noticed that after Season 1, Narn atrocities are never mentioned? Or that Delenn has been the only one to bring up G'Kar's past crimes? In contrast, Centauri crimes, and Londo's specifically, are always pointed out.

Comments

• eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    "I am a freedom fighter.
    You are a guerilla.
    He is a terrorist."

- You don't talk about your friends and allies as you do to the Centari.
    Besides, 100 years of slavery, and having your homeworld bombed back to the stoneage tends to make people give you some leniency.

A case in point, (but highly politically incorrect), after the holocaust, no one ever says anything bad about the Jews.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [quote]Originally posted by eamonmca:
    [b]A case in point, (but highly politically incorrect), after the holocaust, no one ever says anything bad about the Jews.[/b][/quote]

I take it you're not a college student.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    in the words of my roomate "dont **** with israel"
  • Eh, for that matter, in season 1, there were only 2 casts of minbari..there are a few plot inconsistancies here and there before everything finally congeals in season 2.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I have to say that just because we only saw two doesn't mean there were only two.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    OH YEA! OH YEA! YOU FULL OF IT BUDDY BOY! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]

hes right just cuz they show only 2 doesnt mean they have only two.

they could have 198435 castes, but you dont say that do you!

season one is the weakest of the show. hands down theres problems. thing is only fanboys like ourselves care about em.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [quote]Originally posted by Sanfam:
    [b]I have to say that just because we only saw two doesn't mean there were only two.[/b][/quote]

Yep...they never said there wasn't a 3rd.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The worker caste weren't exactly high profile. We hardly heard about them even in later seasons.

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    [quote]Originally posted by Bekenn:
    [b] I take it you're not a college student.

[/b][/quote]

Oh I am.
    [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    As far as we know about narn attrocities off narn is what ever went down at Ragesh III, although season one does seem to be setting them up to be the villians of the series.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by eamonmca:
    [BA case in point, (but highly politically incorrect), after the holocaust, no one ever says anything bad about the Jews.[/B][/quote]

Bull, lots of people say bad things about the jews. In fact. people are right now painting Swastikas on cars in my neighborhood.
  • So, are you saying that it was alright for the Narns to oppress other worlds and not pay the price for their actions, because they had been oppressed by the Centauri? By the way, revenge is not a good reason to commit crimes against someone who has done you wrong.
  • [quote]Originally posted by SunsetGirl:
    [b]So, are you saying that it was alright for the Narns to oppress other worlds and not pay the price for their actions, because they had been oppressed by the Centauri? By the way, revenge is not a good reason to commit crimes against someone who has done you wrong.[/b][/quote]

G'Kar answers that very well by his character change during the series.

And, I agree wholeheartedly to your "revenge" statement. In fact, revenge means that you agree with your oppressor on the idea of being divided. Furthermore, it means to divide even more instead of getting together again in one or another form.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
    [quote]Originally posted by SunsetGirl:
    [b]So, are you saying that it was alright for the Narns to oppress other worlds and not pay the price for their actions, because they had been oppressed by the Centauri? By the way, revenge is not a good reason to commit crimes against someone who has done you wrong.[/b][/quote]

Uhmmm who the hell said that?
  • What exactly did G'Kar say?
  • Sanfam:

Maybe, but Lennier (I think, it might be delenn) says EXPLICTLY in explaning the minbari policital structre that there are 2 casts. Then Sinclair says something like "do they ever agree?" To which Delenn says "Yes, and when they do, it's a terrible thing." No mention in there anywhere of the worker caste. Now, granted, when the 2 castes agree, they would be able to out vote the worker caste.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'll check this out later. Gotta love DVDs. :-)
    That conversation occurs in Grail, I think.

------------------
  • I've noticed that the subject of the Narns' crimes weren't really touched or discussed in this topic. Is it hard to consider that in their own way, the Narns can be just as terrible as the Centauri? Or that they also deserve retribution?
    I think we generally feel that whatever it was they owed, they paid a thousand times over when the Centauri came to their world with mass drivers.

------------------
  • And yet, along with the Drazi, they attacked the Centauri homeworld in Season 5. Will they pay for that?

Hasn't anyone ever questioned why the subject of Narn atrocities were more or less, dropped after Season 1?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [b]Hasn't anyone ever questioned why the subject of Narn atrocities were more or less, dropped after Season 1?[/b][/quote]

Because, when a major power is having holdings blown up mysteriously, they don't really have time to tick off the Centuri and invade little pipsqueak unaligned worlds.
    [b]And yet, along with the Drazi, they attacked the Centauri homeworld in Season 5. Will they pay for that?

Hasn't anyone ever questioned why the subject of Narn atrocities were more or less, dropped after Season 1?[/b][/quote]

What attrocities? we dont [i]know [/i] We know that the Narn war for liberation was messy, how many innocents killed we have no clue, their expansion? dont really know much about that either. We know something happend on Ragesh III, and it was bad, but exactly what? Did it happen any place else? What were the casualty levels? We know that the Mass Driver attacks on Narn messed the planet up completely, but we are not actualy sure the amount of damage done to Centauri Prime during the Narn/Drazi bombardment. We DO know its NOT the same bombardment that caused the damage to Centauri prime in "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" something else happens, (there are fires burning in the Dconstruction of falling stars, I DOUBT those fires have been burning for 20 years.. and the capture of Delen and Sheridan.. it implies that there is war, once again..

Problem is stuff happend, but we dont know exactly what. The Narn however like the Centauri were written off by Kosh, and that they should be let to die out, probably because their inablity to progress beyond mutal blood letting.
  • Written off? I don't think so...G'Kar's "vision" tells us that Kosh was very much interested in stopping the chaos between the races.

I *think* the buildings that are burning are a revolt/war of independence from the Drach (or however you spell that)...because Lando and G'Kar kill each other right after he lets Sheridan go, and we are led to believe that with that, a new beginning for the Centauri starts with Vir as the new emporer..
    Spoilers for Centauri Trilogy
    The burning buildings are the result of the Drakh flicking the switch on their fusion bombs, along with the collapse of their Tower of Whatsit, when the Centauri find out that they've been had for 20 years.

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]Tower of Whatsit[/b][/quote]

Power. Tower of Power. It rhymes. Its catchy, so you can remember it. Like Fraud Squad.

[This message has been edited by David of Mac (edited 02-01-2003).]
    Yes, that's the one. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [quote]Originally posted by Keyan:
    [b]Written off? I don't think so...G'Kar's "vision" tells us that Kosh was very much interested in stopping the chaos between the races.

I *think* the buildings that are burning are a revolt/war of independence from the Drach (or however you spell that)...because Lando and G'Kar kill each other right after he lets Sheridan go, and we are led to believe that with that, a new beginning for the Centauri starts with Vir as the new emporer..[/b][/quote]

We see them burning in "In The Beginning" as well.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.savefarscape.com/"]SAVE FARSCAPE![/url][/b]
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else! Love to stay! Can't, have to go! Kiss! Kiss! Love! Love! Bye! *kiss*" - G'Kar
  • the narns after the victory with the centauri....made the same mistakes invading the gaim, but retreating aswell as the gaim dev a bunch of soldiers....the gaim are similar to insects, using organic tech....etc...the ambassadors are builded to make that.

the creator of b5 made the struggle between centauri and narn as somekind of.....pararell history with actual history, and how the slave can be after some years as bad as his owner...

the jews..ejem..zionist for example are using the assault groups of the nazis (the nazis use them in poland to erase the country land), ..mostly the army....this is an example.

that are examples on how a victim of a butcher can be a butcher itself if he dont learn the lesson....as gkar learned when the centauri withdraw from narn homeworld.....do u remember him there...in the thorne room?....
  • It's ok for the narn to be bad, though. Because G'Kar has these amazing quotes :)