Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 2 Question

EternityEternity Elite Ranger
I know that there are NO images of her available so I have a question. Anybody done any sketches of what theu think she should look like? I don't care if it was done of the back of a match box - I WANT IT!!!

I have a free summer coming up and Babylon 2 is going to be the major summer project of mine.
Well that or a total re-build of my 130K poly Babylon Station mesh. (By total read throw old away, start from scratch!)

But since I have always wanted to see all Babylon stations I want to do B2!

If you have images or just a suggestion drop me a line at python859@yahoo.com or [U]TRY[/U] to get me on ICQ - 101576861 I THINK!!!! E-Mail is best but those that have me on ICQ are welcome to try!

Thanx in advance! Later!

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'd say, try to build a lineage. I'd think The stations would be getting progressively smaller as time and funds ran out, so work with B5 as the smallest, B4 next, B3 just a step up, and B2 just above that, while smaller than B1. You could probably work a re-use of pre-constructed (and surviving) B1 components into B2.
  • ScottDScottD Earthforce Officer
    Except that B4 was stated to have been the largest of them.
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    [quote]You could probably work a re-use of pre-constructed (and surviving) B1 components into B2.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's what's supposed to have happened. I'm not sure if it was stated in any of the episodes (I still haven't seen em all), or in one of the "jms speaks" things over on midwinter's episode guide, though. B4 was definitely the biggest, but B5 was a lot smaller, mainly because a lot of funding was sunk into B4, and since B4 was taken rather than blown up, there weren't any spare parts left to salvage.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [quote]Originally posted by ScottD:
    [b]Except that B4 was stated to have been the largest of them.[/b][/quote]

I believe it is canon that B1 is the largest. It's also pretty clear when seen in [b]In the Beginning[/b].
    It's a massive station that was a combination of the B4 and B5 models. Used two whole B4 center sectons in serial configuration. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • EternityEternity Elite Ranger
    Hummmmmmmmm I think I need to re-design her a tad then. But onto Babylon 2! I need a design!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Also wasn't B2 destroyed during construction? So if your going to do a complete model, you'd be doing what it would have looked like no what it looked like at the time, unless of you want a model that looked under construction.
    Cept that we never got to see B2 being blown up. No images of her exist - at all that I know of. I need some sketches or summin....
  • MaSCMaSC Earthforce Officer
    Sorry, but, jms has said in the past that B1-3 would end up looking just like B4. The reason that B5 is different is because its a cut down version.

B1-3 where all sabotaged and destroyed, during construction. So the Material not yet used could be used on the next with that and material retrieved from the debris of the last, all needed to replace is the parts damaged in the explosion, the rest could be re-used. It makes sense too, if you change the design each time you would have to discard some of the debris from the previous because it would not fit the new design.

Because B4 was completed and disappeared neither of those above applied plus the EA would be getting sick of building the stations. B5 only went ahead because it was partly funded by the other races and was a cut-down version.

Sorry [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by MaSC (edited 05-20-2002).]
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Sorry, MaSC, that's incorrect. B1, which we saw part of in ItB, looks demonstrably different from B4, and on the show, it was stated several times that B4 was the largest. I imagine B1-3 might all use the same design for the reasons you gave, but B4 was specifically built differently (larger, better-defended, and with an engine on it) so it wouldn't be such a sitting duck. Once that failed, the Earthers basically gave up and pulled funding.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
  • MaSCMaSC Earthforce Officer
    [quote]Originally posted by Bekenn:
    [b]Sorry, MaSC, that's incorrect. B1, which we saw part of in ItB, looks demonstrably different from B4, and on the show, it was stated several times that B4 was the largest. I imagine B1-3 might all use the same design for the reasons you gave, but B4 was specifically built differently (larger, better-defended, and with an engine on it) so it wouldn't be such a sitting duck. Once that failed, the Earthers basically gave up and pulled funding.
    [/b][/quote]

Well, I have not studied the one in itb but it was still under construction, remember B4 had two counter-rotators, what we saw in itb was probably the central one before the outer one had been added.

I have heard that B4 was the biggest but that (as you noted) was probably because of the ion engines that where incorporated into the design and would've added extra length. I don't know about arments and defenses, I know they where much beefer than B5 but I have never heard that they where bigger than the previous 3. I doubt the basic design would've changed too much, like I said you would lose the materials from the previous 3 if you did.

Just for calcification:

--------------------------------
    Subject: Universes: ST vs. B5
    Date: 04/06/1996 06:01 AM
    Forum: Compuserve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Edin <102623.2165@compuserve.com> asks:
    > 5 stations, hmmm?

Clarifications: B1-B3 were never finished, but sabotaged very
    early in construction, so the cost impact wasn't that high. Only B4
    was completed. When it vanished, the project was almost abandoned, but
    then the Minbari and Centauri agreed to help finance the project, and
    the EA went ahead with a scaled-down version, their last shot at it.
    Hence, B5.

jms

Subject: Re: ATTN: JMS Question About Babylon 1-3
    Date: 04/03/1996 05:50 PM
    Forum: Usenet
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What were the designs for Babylon 1-3. Were they based on the Babylon 4
    model or the Babylon 5 model? "

They were designed to eventually become what we saw in B4. None of the
    first 3 got much past the early stages of construction.

jms
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I stand corrected.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
    So since I do not want to mod a nother B4 I will do a custome design after I have re-done teh Babylon Station - Radically different this time though (Outer rotating bits)

Later!
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    OOOH! make more docking ports for Big spaceships, destroyers and what not. and a space dock and other cool stuff!
  • WarleaderWarleader Inmate: Babylon Project Mental Health Facility
    THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    So it would appear.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
    As in a shipyard built into the mesh? Too late! The Babylon Station already has that being built. I need accurate ship diameters though. Anybody got any?