Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

American excess

shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
sigh... I really should stop trying to believe that the USA will ever quite get over the weird hypercompensation, BIGGEST, LOUDEST, LONGEST, 'my dick is bigger than your dick bullshit'...:)

I mean seriously, you've outgrown the Humvee ALREADY !?!?!?

[url]http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid=3216[/url]

Comments

• They Never will.... Anyway somone has a Penis and Breast size issue and needs to make big things for some reasons.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Re: American excess

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]sigh... I really should stop trying to believe that the USA will ever quite get over the weird hypercompensation, BIGGEST, LOUDEST, LONGEST, 'my dick is bigger than your dick bullshit'...:)

I mean seriously, you've outgrown the Humvee ALREADY !?!?!?

[url]http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid=3216[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

Jealous, aren't we? :D
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Unless it has repulsor-lifts, I'm not interested. ;)
  • Actually, he's got a pretty good point there... but he's also overreacting a bit.

If you look past the hype and hyperbole, you'll notice that this is nothing more than a 7300 truck/tractor equipped with a pickup-style bed. There are already a lot of crew-cab and sleeper-equipped 7300s in service hauling large fifth-wheel (a.k.a. "gooseneck") trailers of all types for ranches, contractors, race teams, etc. (essentially the same group of customers the 7300 CXT is intended for); chances are most (if not all ) of the CXTs sold will be used for the same purpose as well. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the CXT does sell well, as this is nothing more than a ridiculous effort to create a "niche market" for a vehicle that isn't really much different (or better) than what's already available.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Don't get your panties in a wade SB, as Squid pointed out, its mearly an alternate incarnation of something that's been on American roads for 50+ years, and it is [i]very[/i] unlikely that any of these will end up in suburban driveways, since this is a work truck (Notice the name is [b]Commercial[/b] Extreme Truck) . Unlike the H2, which is based on a Suburban chassis (which is classified as a light truck), the CXT is on a medium truck chassis. This alone will drive away most "soccer-mom" type buyers, since it will ride like hell compared to an H2 or Excursion. This also means that it will likely require more service since this trucks are generally fleet maintained, and those service is likely to be double the cost of a light truck (consider the oil capacity of the engine is double that of an H2).

Yea there might be the occasional yahoo who feels like he needs one to pull his boat, but you will not see these lined up at the grocery store or at soccer practice like you do with the H2. Its not even the same market catagory.

Jake
  • I wonder if you would have to have a CDL?

If it's diesel I’ll bet it gets better fuel mileage and pollutes less than the Hummer.

{Looking forward to another winter of driving past dork SUV drivers stuck in the snow in his old school Saab}
  • When my firend went to the US(NOt shure what state it was).. He said everone had nice big trucks and crapy ass homes for some reason...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Konrad [/i]
    [B]I wonder if you would have to have a CDL?

If it's diesel I’ll bet it gets better fuel mileage and pollutes less than the Hummer.

{Looking forward to another winter of driving past dork SUV drivers stuck in the snow in his old school Saab} [/B][/QUOTE]
    The CDL requirement will depend on the size of the vehicle, what it's being used for, and who is actually using it; this will vary from state to state as well. Here in New Mexico, a CDL isn't really required to drive 7300s and other similarly sized trucks that are used exclusively for towing gooseneck type trailers (and other types as well) if said trucks are not used for commercial purposes; very few (if any) of the rigs registered here that I've seen hauling livestock trailers (and [I]very[/I] fancy ones at that) have New Mexico State Commerce Commission registration numbers (which are mandatory on all commercial vehicles registered here; every other state in the U.S. has similar requirements) and none of the few that I've seen used for towing fifth-wheel travel trailers have 'em either, so it's a safe bet that the folks driving them don't need CDLs (the wheelbase of these trucks is practically the same as that of a one-ton pickup with dual rear wheel sets - which is what's normally used to haul gooseneck trailers, so the turning radius is about the same as well).

The fuel economy of the CXT probably wouldn't be much better than that of a Hummer since the CXT is also an all-wheel drive vehicle and it will be carrying/pulling a helluva lot more than most suburbanite Hummers ever will; diesel prices are practically the same as regular unleaded gas here, so there wouldn't be much of an advantage in that area, either.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]When my firend went to the US(NOt shure what state it was).. He said everone had nice big trucks and crapy ass homes for some reason... [/B][/QUOTE]
    LOL... that sounds like it could be anywhere in California or the Southwest (including a good chunk of Texas)...:D ;)
  • [B]Squid Said: Here in New Mexico, a CDL isn't really required to drive 7300s and other similarly sized trucks that are used exclusively for towing gooseneck type trailers [/B]

Well - Rather than take peoples word for it - I chose to look up the facts (a first for firstones.com):

Who needs a CDL sources:
    [url]http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/sec1_a.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627-21609--,00.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/drivers/cdl/whoneeds_cdl.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.dps.state.la.us/omvfaqs.nsf/0/d20d21dd5b82244f86256dac00744c7d?OpenDocument[/url]

For every state the one common denominator is a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. It turns out this is a Federal Mandate.
    This 7300 truck comes in at 25,999lbs.
    [url]http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/pdf/CXTdetail.pdf[/url]

Yep - that's ONLY TWO POUNDS! Two pounds more - and you would have to have a CDL. Better not add a new paint job, trim, or fuzzy dice or I'll be out there crying foul. So similarly sized trucks do have to have a CDL driver.

[B]Squid Said: very few (if any) of the rigs registered here that I've seen hauling livestock trailers
    (and very fancy ones at that) have New Mexico State Commerce Commission registration numbers so it's a safe bet that the folks driving them don't need CDLs [/B]

I said nothing about registration of the vehicle. All I care about is the skill of the driver – and that he has training and an appropriate license. In addition – Two pounds more and “folks” driving trucks like these would need a CDL.

[B]Squid Said: The fuel economy of the CXT probably wouldn't be much better than that of a Hummer since the CXT is also an all-wheel drive vehicle and it will be carrying/pulling a helluva lot more than most suburbanite Hummers ever will[/B]

According to my research. Even larger trucks hauling tons of cargo with the same International DT466 diesel engine got 6.5MPG. A Gas Powered Hummer towing nothing gets 3.8 to 6.8 MPG. As a reference – my 1987 Saab 900 gets 24-28MPG even using the corn based crap. My friend’s Ford and Dodge pickups get 4-6 MPG when towing a 25foot boat down to Powell (They call themselves Kerry supporting environmentalists but commute with their trucks – HA!)

Fuel Milage Sample Sources:
    [url]http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/trucking.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.humvee.net/hid/fuel/mpg.html[/url]

My conclusion – For towing the 7300 may in fact be better for the environment than a Hummer and many other light trucks and SUV’s. However, it is just as – if not more dangerous in the hands of normal idiot drivers.

~RANT~ It disgusts me to see SUV’s driving around town that have never seen more than a dirt driveway. The snow excuse is a sign you just suck as a driver. Any avid 4x4 enthusiast will tell you the Hummer H2 sucks offroad and nobody smart would drive REAL off-road tires on pavement. If you have enough money to buy a boat or a trailer – surely you can buy a fuel efficient car to commute with. I consider people who drive SUV’s in town (especially those who tailgate) guilty of attempted manslaughter every time they hit someone in a car crash. ~/RANT~

Evil Ranking (when in paved non towing or hauling setting):
    #1 Hummers
    #2 Ford Exploders - Jeeps and the like
    #3 Gas Pick-up Trucks
    #4 This 7300 thing.

To SB and CS – Lets not make generalizations about the US until you resolve your own Canadian (Where are you from SB?) sex organ inferiority complex.

Squid Said: [B]Frankly, I'd be surprised if the CXT does sell well[/B]
    Are you sure. I can feel the excitement in Las Vegas and California already.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Konrad [/i]
    [B]I wonder if you would have to have a CDL?

{Looking forward to another winter of driving past dork SUV drivers stuck in the snow in his old school Saab} [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, my parent's Dodge RAM 3500 ('03) pulling a 9800lb trailer gets better milage than a Hummer.... (runs on diesel)

13MPG vs. like 6 on the Hummer.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    dude... I'm from AU...

and aussies, until perhaps fairly recently have been famous for a 'cultural cringe', feeling as though we didnt have a strong cultural identity so we have been absorbing and copying others. Aussies dont often suffer from conceit or hyperbelief in themselves. We question alot about ourselves. We hold everyone up to scrutiny and we have whats called the 'tall poppy syndrome'. In essence we have a habit of making sure no-one gets too big in the head department, we cut alot of public figures down to size if they show too much arrogance or conceit.

Aussies tend to just get on with it. We dont often feel the need to strut and show off. We dont base our self esteem on material gain... tough sadly that seems to be changing for the worse...

Yanks just overdo everything. This is coming from an outsiders perspective. You just cant seem to get your head around the idea of 'small, light and efficient'. Everything has to come in super extra large or its not worth having. Trucks are just the thin edge of a much vaster wedge.

Put it this way, unless you are talking full semi trailer/tractor rigs, the biggest V8 available here, unless you count private imports and specials is a 5.7L

We never had big blocks out here.

The predominant engine out here by way of average is a 3.0L six cylinder in our mainstream family sedans. V8's are the norm in the US for family sedans, atleast until fairly recently. Aussies have used sixes since the 1950's.

Even the nomaculture, both here and in Europe as opposed to the US is indicative. Yanks name thier cars one bracket smaller than anywhere else in the world.

A yank compact is our full sized sedan, your full sized sedan is our 'large/luxury car' etc.

There is a fundamental difference in the way the US psyche seems to deal with life. It always HAS to be the biggest, fastest, loudest, most ostentatious. This is across the board.

When it comes to tow vehicles everyone instantly wants a truck to tow anything. The concept of putting a towbar behind a 5.0L chevy sedan or something equally similar is looked upon almost as treason. There is a huge preconception that you have to have a massive tow vehicle. While I'm no fan of some of the silly bastards who 'undertow' thier trailers and such, you can use a much lighter vehicle to tow with.

I wouldnt mind so much about everything being 'supersize me' in the US if it didn't contribute as much as it does to the draw on our finite resources.

Put it this way. Something like 6 billion litres of fuel is burnt idling during traffic jams and just stopped at traffic lights and such in the US alone, EVERY year.

How many of those vehicles are large capacity engines ? How many are truly suited to purpose ? (As in one guy in a V10 dualy truck, commuting to work instead of a lil 4 cyclinder commuter car).

Without a fundamental change in the way the US uses resources... were all fucked. Not just US citizens, everyone, because the US soaks up a hugely disspropotionate ammount of energy and resources.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Yanks just overdo everything. This is coming from an outsiders perspective. You just cant seem to get your head around the idea of 'small, light and efficient'. Everything has to come in super extra large or its not worth having. Trucks are just the thin edge of a much vaster wedge.[/B][/QUOTE]

Proud "Yank” right here who doesn’t fit into your generalization. And I’ll bet there are at least 100million others who might disagree with you. I know it’s easy to do generalized USA bashing as a way to feel good about yourself and your country. Just as it’s easy to go out and buy a big truck so you feel good about yourself.

I’ll bet I’m just as – if not more “small, light and efficient” than you.

[B] V8's are the norm in the US for family sedans, at least until fairly recently. Aussies have used sixes since the 1950's.[/B][/QUOTE]

On this one I know you're wrong. V8 is NOT the norm and has not been for over a decades. There is an extraordinary number of Japanese four cylinder engines in the US (VW's and my in line Saab 4-banger too) V6 is far more likely the norm – lets have a reality check – even most of the SUV’s on the road are V-6 (some of the light ones are even 4)

[B] Even the nomaculture, both here and in Europe as opposed to the US is indicative. Yanks name thier cars one bracket smaller than anywhere else in the world.[/B][/QUOTE]

That is true. I've rented cars in the US - England - Germany - Spain (I could go on) and they all have different "brackets" with the US cars typically being smaller (Unless you're in Germany where just about everything is a big sedan)

[B]There is a fundamental difference in the way the US psyche seems to deal with life. It always HAS to be the biggest, fastest, loudest, most ostentatious. This is across the board.[/B][/QUOTE]

Looks around - points to self - family - neighbors. I'm from the US - and I drive a 1.8L engine car on the weekends. Weekdays I take the bus or light rail (and oh dear ~ I vote Conservative / Republican / Libertarian on the Federal level.)

[B]When it comes to tow vehicles everyone instantly wants a truck to tow anything. The concept of putting a towbar behind a 5.0L chevy sedan or something equally similar is looked upon almost as treason. [/B][/QUOTE]

On this one I'm going to disagree. If you have a chance to come to the US again come on out to Utah and Idaho. If you tow something around here you want a larger vehicle - both for towing power, but also for the braking power of larger trucks, and the additional control you get by having a closer ratio between the power source and the trailer. I can't explain the Geography - it's more vast and vertically intense than anything you are around. (I’m sure you’ve got mountains – but you’d have to see what we have here yourself)

That is one reason why Scania trucks can’t sell here. They don’t have the power to get over “The Rockies” like the Big Rigs Peterbuilt and other American truck builders produce. You should see even "our oversized" trucks crawling up Parleys Canyon on I-80 going 10MPH.

[B]I wouldnt mind so much about everything being 'supersize me' in the US if it didn't contribute as much as it does to the draw on our finite resources. [/B][/QUOTE]

Other than the generalizations - I don't disagree. <--- Gasp - An American just said that!

However, I see more hybrid cars on US roads than ever because of the limitations on resources and the increasing prices you mentioned. I see a come back in major cities of trains and smart bus systems. Trolleys are booming ~ and the way the US is geographically and demographically doesn't make this easy. In DC the Metro is having problems with overpacked packed trains that make Tokyo trains look roomy, and in Salt Lake City "Trax" has far exceeded anyone’s expectations on ridership. I see more efficient electronics, water fixtures and power plants. Wind power in this area was booming - until the local extremist environmentalists started blocking new towers because birds were being killed by the fans. Curbside Recycling is in almost every major city (nothing like Europe yet - but getting better).

There is no doubt in my mind that we are behind. However, unlike Europe, the US did not have a chance to "reset" its infrastructure in the 1950's and 60's. Places like Canada, Australia, and South East Asia have only recently seen major growth and have FAR more modern cities.

Are there problems still? Certainly. Is it getting better? Other than the Clinton era trend in SUV's - I know so. Are there variables that you don't understand because of a lack of time spent in the US? I think so. Are Americans as bad as you think? I know we are not.
  • It's not scientific - but here is a shot of my garage.

[URL=http://members.toast.net/swimshootski/cars.jpg]Garage[/URL]

There are:
    15 Vehicles

3 Pick-Up Trucks
    2 SUV's
    8 Cars
    2 Motorcycles

Even without the Motrocycles - the average number of Pistons per car in my garage is less than 6.

This is not 1950's america that you've seen in the movies with all the boat like cars. This is also one of those terrible South Western garages as Squid pointed out!
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [B]Aussies dont often suffer from conceit or hyperbelief in themselves... In essence we have a habit of making sure no-one gets too big in the head department[/b][/quote]

Strange, I've met plenty of australians who do suffer from those things. And you're making yourself sound quite conceited with your whole "Growl, americans bad. But in Australia, we do it reasonably" speech. In case you didn't know, many of your posts here give you the appearance of a big-headed know-it-all.

[quote][b]Aussies tend to just get on with it. We dont often feel the need to strut and show off.

Yanks just overdo everything. This is coming from an outsiders perspective.
    [/b][/quote]

Quite obvious you don't often feel the need to strut. From my observation, most of the posts where you give your opinions, you have a better idea for doing everything, and you also seem quite keen on doing these "they do it wrong, but here, we do things the right way" rants.

Outsider's perspective? Maybe so, but a quite ignorant perspective at that. You do no better than Simmonds with sweeping generalizations like that.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [B]The predominant engine out here by way of average is a 3.0L six cylinder in our mainstream family sedans.[/B][/QUOTE]

WTF do you need a 3.0L engine for in a family car? Granted, I'm no expert on cars, but 2.0L has always seemed plenty. One of the cars in my family is a 1.5L, the other is a 1.3L. I've never considered either of those too small. My friend's family happily tows their rather large boat around behind a 3.0L station wagon.
  • All I need is a Firefly to get around, thats it.

EDIT: If I get into an Accident... They car and me would be destroyed in an instant
    You've just highlighted the point I'm making mate... yeah... for a good deal of modern cars 2.0L is good.

A modern 3.0L engine is probably more than enough for a standard 10x6 tandem axle trailer. I know quite a few Americans who would be in fits of apoplexy at the thought of towing a trailer that big behind a 3.0L six.

the 3.0L Ive quoted for AU mainstream cars is for the period between today and the 1950s. A 3.0L of 1950's vintage is a long way from 2000 in terms of efficiency and performance.

Incidentally I dont claim AU has a spotless terruth* record either.

~~~~~~~~~

*terruth = 'terra' earth + 'ruth' friend = Earth friendly/Environmentally friendly
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]WTF do you need a 3.0L engine for in a family car? Granted, I'm no expert on cars, but 2.0L has always seemed plenty. One of the cars in my family is a 1.5L, the other is a 1.3L. I've never considered either of those too small. My friend's family happily tows their rather large boat around behind a 3.0L station wagon. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Agreed. I've never used a car bigger than 1.6L.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]WTF do you need a 3.0L engine for in a family car? Granted, I'm no expert on cars, but 2.0L has always seemed plenty.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Yeah, at least 2,3 L should be enough for all normal driving, if not... then fault is in driver's head! (or whereever his brains are)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]When my firend went to the US(NOt shure what state it was).. He said everone had nice big trucks and crapy ass homes for some reason... [/B][/QUOTE]

Your friend is wrong, as generalizations like the above tend to be. I own a 1991 Toyota Celica GTS with 65K-66K miles and live in a decent place while I save money for a down-payment on a house (I'd prefer to buy the property and then have a house built). Of the engineers at work, all who own a house own a nice one. The two who own nice cars (one not-new-but-not-old-but-still-nice BMW and one BMW Z3) are still young and so, don't have houses. My boss owns a Z3 for outside work but takes a junker truck to work and is well-paid. They do live in nice apartments, though. Our tech lead drives a motorcycle or his car (not a new car, but not an old one) and just had a house built. My team lead owns an old Mercedes and an old SUV but has a nice house. Of the guys on my van pool route, there are 3 pickup trucks, 2 SUVs and 2 cars. Only 2 of those were bought within the past 5 years and none of them are expensive. All of their homes/apartments I've seen are nice. One of the apartments isn't in the best neighborhood, but that person also has an older car and doesn't exactly have the largest salary in our group.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Ok, Ive got to say this just because Ive seen a few accidents where some idiot was trying to tow something behind a car...

Cars are not designed to be vehicles with which to tow. They dont have built in hitches, or brake controllers or the stability to really be effecient towing machines. If Im going to tow something, you can bet your ass Im going to use my truck rather than a car, just from the standpoint of if I have to slam on the brakes, I know that my truck has rear abs to keep the damn thing from sliding sidways, even and especially with a trailer behind it.

Now, [URL=http://aqmilitis.com/uploads/truck%20003.jpg]my truck[/URL] is nothing huge, or overpowering, it has a 3.9L Magnum V6 in it with less than 200hp. This is my primary [b]WORK TRUCK[/b], when I say work truck I dont mean I run back and forth to the office in it, this is a truck designed to haul me, my tools and any parts I may need to pick up to and from the hospitals I service. I got the V6 over the 4.7L V8 because I was concerned about effeciency, I get about 19mpg highway out of my truck. That pic is sitting in front of the crappy apartment I used to live in...

Now, to contrast what someone else said, youve seen my truck, my wife has a 2002 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.4L V6, and [URL=http://aqmilitis.com/uploads/houseus.jpg]my house[/URL] is brand new, we just had it built for us this year. Not everyone in the states falls under the wastefull/jackass/V8 SUV/poor living status that some of you guys like to pin on us.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JohnD [/i]
    [B]Your friend is wrong, as generalizations like the above tend to be. I own a 1991 Toyota Celica GTS with 65K-66K miles and live in a decent place while I save money for a down-payment on a house (I'd prefer to buy the property and then have a house built). Of the engineers at work, all who own a house own a nice one. [/B][/QUOTE]

I did'nt mean everone did that, He said it was mainly around Trailer Parks.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]Now, [URL=http://aqmilitis.com/uploads/truck%20003.jpg]my truck[/URL] is nothing huge, or overpowering, it has a 3.9L Magnum V6 in it with less than 200hp. [/B][/QUOTE]

Your truck is over-exposed. ;) Nice house though.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    thanks...

ive got some better pics of the truck, but they show the liscense plate number, and I was too lazy to edit the pics this morning.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]thanks...

ive got some better pics of the truck, but they show the liscense plate number, and I was too lazy to edit the pics this morning. [/B][/QUOTE]

The more i read of these rants from forigners about ignorant americans, the more i realise that most forigners are totally ignorant to the reality of normal life in the US.

Most of you should try living here for a while before you go on with idiotic generalizations about what life is like.

Is there American Excess? Hell yes there is, and the "american excessive person" would reperesent less than 1% of actual americans, Most of us arent out buying 4.2 billion ton trucks with 40,000,000 litre engines, Most of us are hard working people, who struggle to make payments on our small cars, while we try and provide for our kids,

we don't all drive huge gas guzzlers. and from the way y'all talk, you'd think that Americans either live in mansions or trailer's, Well i'm afriad that you are way way way off base.

If you want to talk about US Excess, stop talking bullshit about our houses, and cars, the Excess is in what we pay our sports stars, and entertainers. that's some American Excess that you can bitch about, not a vehicle thats a niche market that they MIGHT sell 100 of.

If you want to Hate the US for something, thats fine, there are plenty of things about the US to dislike, but at least stop making shit up about it.

--Matt One pissed off hard working american who thinks that people who own $300,000 trucks wether american, australian or martian should be hit over the head with a cluestick.
    Ive lived in the 'States in several batches for about 9 months.

I like cars, I do observe and study what I see on the roads. I was born into a car family, as in the rest of my family live and breathe them. My old man restores cars for a living. All the people I visited had an interest in cars. I worked in a body shop for a short while for freaks sake.

I believe I certianly have much more of a clue than most.

I have a keen interest in renewable energy. I picked up a shitload from my last girlfriend in regards to energy and resource statistics for the US.

No matter how poor or under privledged some US residents are... as a nation the US SUXORS when it comes to efficient use of resources. Americans are some of the most wasteful people on this little rock. Sadly AU isnt far behind. If you dont own a large truck then you probably own an oversized central heating system on a very under insulated home. This this across the board as I said before.

The CXT is a figurehead sort of vehicle, just like the Humvee. It's something too many people aspire to. I'm pointing to how much this as a concept, SUCKS. The promotion of these types of vehicles as good things, is abysmal.

Americans are getting better at curbing thier appetites for energy and resources but they lag behind the rest of the world, badly.

As far as towing behind a car goes, news flash, if a car is actually built with towing in mind, its fine. AU cars are, hence we dont have to have another vehicle, or buy a truck for primary use because our cars are engineered to cope with towing. We fit a tow bar and off we go. This remains true even with the decline in trailer numbers these days.

Again, the 'I must have a truck to tow.' line is BS. We cope just fine with some vehicles alot of Americans wouldnt dream of towing behind. Where this jetwash started is perhaps a point of debate, but I'd be willing to bet its based on the truck sales industry. Making the truck ostensibly percieved as the only tow vehicle is good for biz.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Holy smoke there is a lot of misinformation running around on this thread, I think from this point forward, I'll keep my mouth shut, lest I add to the piles of BS.

Jake
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    Im proud to own my huge ass car, my buick le sabre. im aslo proud that it gets 26 highway miles to the gallon. And most of all Im proud that i can fit in the damn thing. Im six feet 5 inches tall, thats a little over two meter for anyone not in North America, and i cannot for the life of me FIT into any car thats "eviromental Friendly" ;)

Something, it seems, some people from outside the US dont get is how the concept of FREEDOM isnt just about speech. If someone choses to live in a trailer and buy a mustang, god bless them they can and shall. I have no problem with that because they chose it. If someone buys a pick up truck, i suspect theres a reason behind it to and if its just hey i want a pick up truck because "I've always wanted one", or "hey i own my electrician handyman company and i could use the room a pick up gives me to haul my equipment." And guess what, they damn well have the freedom to do it because we allow it.

The VAST majority of americans drive CARS not trucks or SUVS, CARS. Because they are cheaper to buy. My parents bought my car for me, and im glad they did, because i couldnt afford a decent car, and they helped me buy my used 94 car that i can fit in, drive to school and hey haul my shit out of my apartment when i need too each year.

So many people here on this board hate americans or america for something here or there and what i dont get i their excessive need to "rant" on and on on it on this board when there are americans on this board struggling to pay their bills and go to school (at least theirs one that i know of ;) )

I personally dont get having a brand new car while living in a trailer, But god help them i support their right to do WHATEVER they want to do because thats freedom. And maybe i dunno if your austrailian you dont understand freedom. Dunno maybe i should just start judging other countrys on niche markets or things that or OFFERED not forced upon someone who if they want, they can have it.

Hows the surfing SB? and what about that frog problem? wasnt that an egological nightmare? hmmm?

And was that Nine Whole months? because i never realized that. That changes my whole idea of it! i mean shit its so much easier now to judge the whole country because you were here for nine whole months. i mean that must have giving you plenty of time to see everything in this country and truly understand it. I spent 6 days in Texas last year, so i got to see and understand texans easily. I mean it was Six Whole days mind you. Six 24 hour whole days. I get all of texas now and can easily judge them and write them off as alien and subserveant to my will.

We are the UNITED STATES of AMERICA. We are 50 different countries united on the concept of freedom and taxes. Each state has their own ideals, image of themselves and way to live. I've lived in North Carolina for 6 years now and still am surprised by the kindness of its people and the rudeness, and how they do Things differently culturaly and governingly from my "home" state of New Jersey.

Each state is Different, and each PERSON is different. Maybe if you spent 10 whole months here you might have understood that simple little fact. You cant judge everyone, because everyone is different, that is america and its people. I can and most likely will spend my entire life in this great country and i will NEVER understand some of its people and i will most likely never be able to spend the time neccessary to understand how some states work.

Maybe i can have the pleasure of spending a couple of weeks in Syndey or even Melbourne one day, in fact i really hope too, and then when i dont understand its people or flat out disagree with them i can say wait i know what im talking about i spent two whole weeks there, I know aussies so anyone who is from there fits my little prejudice point of view and is a whacky surfer who likes opera.

Because i did spend two whole weeks there in two or maybe even 3 different branches of that country.
  • I am so tired of everyone yelling about american excess. I seem to recall that the British, French, and Germans engaged in a Battleship race at the late 19th early 20th century that makes any penis race look even more ridiculous