Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I feel so dirty....

shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
I finally HAVE MY PC ! yay ! Uberwewt ! Exclaimations of excitation etc !

The final build stats are as follows for those that get wide-ons and hard-ons about hardware.

Lian Li 'Silent' PC 6070 Case
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo
AMD 3200 Barton core 400FSB
Zalman CNPS7000CU heatsink
3 x 512mb Kingston DDR400 memory
Two (x2) Mitsubishi Diamondtron 19" CRT's
Zalman 'silent; Power supply 400w
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Liteon CDRW x52x32x52
2x80GIG seagate drives
Altec Lansing 5.1 surround speakers

It runs Homeworld 2 at 1600x1200 at max settings at a totally seamless framerate... it also runs both monitors without a hitch at 1600x1200 dual head.

Su-weet.... :)

~~~~~~~

talk about guilty pleasure, such PC sinnage, Steve will cast me out... I am Sith...

Comments

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    *taps foot*...

;)

:p
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    dude... Im doing everything I can... you could perhaps direct your ire at Sanfam... he's supposed to be helping me get you your case...

incidentally, dont use the shitty mobo nuts supplied with the case, they suck, badly, I ended up making my own replacements, when of course you get it..:)
    I'm just messing with ya Craeg... ;)

I have a working case for now, so I get it when I get it. Actually, I'm glad to hear you have your stuff now... How much of a hassle was it to get it?

;)

By the way, I would direct my ire at Sanfam, but I never see him anymore, so it's kinda pointless... :D

Cheers!
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Lian Li is a luxurious product, but everything else in that computer is so banal that I couldn't be proud of the case. :D

But good thing is that you seem to like it, and nothing else matters.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Dood...homeworlds hardly a benchmarking program. :)

Unless you turn up AA and AF...thats the whole point of having a 9800.

get the Omega drivers, right click on a shortcut and choose "RadLink"

then you can have game/program specific AA and AF settings.

like, for UT2k4, I have 2AA and 8AF, but with blender, I have both OFF.

Congrats on getting your stuff though man!
  • JusaJusa Trainee
    You could try running HomeWorld2 with full detail AND a huge map with 5 good AI players and then see if it's still seamless :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]By the way, I would direct my ire at Sanfam, but I never see him anymore, so it's kinda pointless... :D[/B][/QUOTE]

I'll direct it for you, if you like. :)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jusa [/i]
    [B]You could try running HomeWorld2 with full detail AND a huge map with 5 good AI players and then see if it's still seamless :) [/B][/QUOTE]

it would be. If it was at all optimized code anyway. Homeworld just isn't that detailed. low poly models, no really special effects...

it would prolly run on a 486.
    No. No it wouldn't. I used to play Homeoworld on a P200MMX with a Voodoo2, and it was [i]slow[/i]. Just because it doesn't have high poly models or lots of special effects, that doesn't mean it needs a reasonable amount of power to run. Graphics arn't everything. The AI in Homeworld requires a fair amount of power, and HW2 is probably even more complex.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    And here I was thinking we [i]weren't[/i] Homeworld. I'll be damned. ;)
  • Homeworld 2 doesn't run on my 3-year old HP at all, but the thing uses ME for an Operating System (my mom won't back up her shit so I can XPificate it), and clogged with spyware. In fact, I think the reason my defenseless PC is so clean, is because hers just sucks it up through the router, before it can touch me.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]And here I was thinking we [i]weren't[/i] Homeworld. I'll be damned. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

We still arn't. They were allowed to finish. ;)
    I didn't deliberately set out to bench mark with Homeworld, it's simply the first thing I installed that was even vaguely 'hungry' as far as resources goes...

...still, with all the lighting/shading effects and subtle shite, it IS pretty hungry, 1600x1200 isnt small... etc and it was glassy... I mean super glassy...even the sometimes slow switch between views was quiksnap.

and I hope you were being sarcastic when you said my machine was 'banal' Eclectionaut... or you better freakin' explain yourself..:)
    Which reminds me...

HW2 should start showing up in the $10 racks pretty soon somewhere...

:D
    blank CD's have a nasty habit of falling into my CDW too... and accidents do happen.. gee it might even fall into the mail as well...

:D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]and I hope you were being sarcastic when you said my machine was 'banal' Eclectionaut... or you better freakin' explain yourself..:) [/B][/QUOTE] Banal was the magical word and I meant it from the bottom of my heart. So many people have chosen Asus A7N8X Deluxe, R9800Pro, Kingston memory, Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 hard drive, Liteon CD-RW, Altec Lansing speakers and Zalman heatsink & PSU that they really haven't impressed me much for a long, long time. The only things that differ from a basic set of components are that you have two 19" CRT's and an additional 512MB of Kingston VR/HX memory (you can't use dual channel mode in full speed with three 512MB modules).

Btw you would have saved some money if you had bought Athlon XP-M 2500+ instead of XP 3200+.

P.S. of course your computer is better than average, but it is so... banal. =)
    I don't think I've ever bought kingston memory. I think I always end up with generic. :) As for the motherboard, I bought that one cause I liked the feature set at the time (and still do). My heatsink is some brand I can't remember, but generally a pretty good brand. I bought it for quietness, not cooling ability. I'm fairly sure my 80GB HDD is a seagate. What I do know is that I bought the one with the best price at the time.
    I've noticed that in recent years as I've played less computer games due to them being more cloney, and particularly ever since I got my PS2 (for which I have only a few specific games), I've really stopped caring about having the fastest computer or being able to overclock by some ludicrous amount. I think this is a good thing. I've actually put [b]more[/b] effort into getting older computers going so I can play my old games.

I have to agree with Eclecticonaut. It is a banal computer. :D
    Just a note, you didn't mention what keyboard and mouse you bought. I've used Logitech MX500 for 1½ years and just fell in love with Logitech UltraX Flat Keyboard... the greatest keyboard I've ever had an honor to work with.

Good god, it's nearly 7 a.m. here now - gotta get some sleep somehow. Variatio delectat. :D
    Ok... I can live with 'banal'... I guess a Mustang GTR is banal in terms of high performance and mass produced....

I dont think the 2600 has as wider FSB as the 3200... everything I bought runs at a stated 400mhz FSB, and yes I am aiming to grab another 512mb of RAM. There are no bottlenecks in the above specs, which is the way I like it.

Dual head is the way to go for serious digital imaging and sound, which is what I want to do... desktop real estate is King. Nothing improves productivity as much as more room to work. I love running Photoshop with one screen as basically one big pallette/click box, you never have to drag a freakin pallette again, cos you have every freakin one of them open at once while you work on an image.

It will be very interesting to see how big I can make an image file before it falls over. I estimate I'll get to about a 500mb image file before it keels over. The rule of thumb for nice safe image mainpulation is generally supposed to be :

image size(mb) = 25% of installed RAM (mb)

ergo

250mb file = 1000mb RAM ( 50% is asking for hangs and snafus..:) )

I'm also interested in seeing what it does with Lightwave rendering and mixing some serious audio, and maybe even rendering video.

I can tell you this much... this bitch is going to get RIDDEN ! :D
    oh.. keyboard... Belkin boring black thing... mouse = equally boring ball free scroller, whose manufacturer I've forgotten. I bought the keyboard cos it came with some gel wristpads and it was cheap. I think I'm developing carpal tunnel or some sort of wrist foo.... so it was important.

Ive also got a Cyborg 3D joystick, a 128mb flash drive, an oldish Wacom stylus pallette, a HP printer and a dead HP scanner (blown lamp), external 250mb Zip. Sony Digital Vidcam, Sony MZR-900 MD player... a AA cell maglite........ :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [B]Ive also got a Cyborg 3D joystick,[/B][/QUOTE]

Just one? I've got two Cyborg Evos. I bought 'em specifically because they're reversible, and playing IFH with two joysticks just rocks.
    I dont think the 2600 has as wider FSB as the 3200... everything I bought runs at a stated 400mhz FSB, and yes I am aiming to grab another 512[b]mb[/b] of RAM. There are no bottlenecks in the above specs, which is the way I like it.[/QUOTE] You misunderstood me. The Athlon [b]XP-M[/b] 2500+ (mobile processor) uses lower voltage than the desktop model and can easily be overclocked into a XP 3200+ and even higher with the Zalman heatsink.

And what the heck is a "millibit"? ;)
    youre assuming I'm into overwanking..:)

Ambient tempratures in AU are often 30+degC indoors, therefore I go for big ass cooling on standard clockspeed chips...

and youre also a terrible pedant..:D

Mb ok...

MEGAbyte
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    and youre also a terrible pedant..:D[/quote]
    Oh thank you. :)

[quote]Mb ok...

MEGAbyte[/quote]
    Nonono, B = byte and b = bit. So MB is the correct unit of memory capacity in this case, not Mb.
  • On the subject of keyboards and mice... the Logitech Elite is a great keyboard, plenty of mappable buttons, upwards of 20 in fact, if you remap the alternate F keys. My mouse is a generic 4-button optical, because I hate hand-biased mice, and most Logitech mice don't even look comfortable. :alien:
    I like my Mitsumi standard basic nothing-special keyboard. :) It's been with me for mor than 6 years now and the letters haven't even started rubbing off. I am considering a new one to replace my logitech keyboard at uni though...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I love my modern, giant IBM mechanical keyboard with integrated mouse and all :D

It makes msuing my system anywhere really easy, as the mouse and KB are one and the same. Plus, I can almost type while mousing, so it's ok.
  • Re: I feel so dirty....

[B]Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo

3 x 512mb Kingston DDR400 memory
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Why did you get 3 sticks of ram? You can't run in dual channel mode and up to that boards potential with 3 sticks.
    Because he didn't want any bottle necks, of course. :)
    heh, well you can believe me or no but youve actually pointed out an error in my list, I have 2 sticks of RAM, not 3. I altered my order, but I didnt change the list to suit...