Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 season 4 out! (region 2...)

MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
Play.com:
Your order for "Babylon 5 - Series 4 Box Set (6 Discs)" has been posted.

:)

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Thanks for the heads-up. Now I know why I checked in on Firstones.com today. I had an odd feeling about this. :D

I'll place my order right away.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Meanwhile, my season 5 set arrived yesterday.
    Done... :)

Good for you, Bekenn, at least now you have a complete set of the show... well, almost, don't know when the remaining TV movies will come out... and then there's the misterious unknown something coming out next month. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    And my season 5 set should be arriving today. :)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B]Thanks for the heads-up. Now I know why I checked in on Firstones.com today. I had an odd feeling about this. :D[/B][/QUOTE]
    And why I'm having feeling that boxes are still that piece-of-crap design?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The time has come...to raid the houses of all Firstones with Season 5!

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T. [/i]
    [B]And why I'm having feeling that boxes are still that piece-of-crap design? [/B][/QUOTE]

Faith manages... I'll let you know how many were scratched when I get the set. :)
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    from usenet:

S4 has just arrived in R2 and they've changed the packaging. The
    disks are now individually wrapped in superslim cases. This has had
    the side effect of making the whole package slightly wider and
    therfore the '5' symbol on the edge of the box is larger.
    Unfortunately this also means that there is a mismatch when placed
    next to the other seasons.

I do prefer the new packaging as the disks are held more securely but
    I wish they wouldn't change half way through whether it's DVDs or
    books. It's the same with Stargate where season 1 doesn't match the
    rest and in this case S1 was released after S2 & S3.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]This has had
    the side effect of making the whole package slightly wider and
    therfore the '5' symbol on the edge of the box is larger[/B][/QUOTE]
    IMHO box can gladly be little thicker if it means that disc retainers doesn't drop discs themselves and discs are easy to take out of it.
    My packaging changes halfway through because I got sick of waiting on the R4 releases and just started buying the R1 ones. :) The R4 packaging is actually really really nice.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    got mine today :)
    and Dark Angel S2.....waiting for S1 though..was sent on the same day :|
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    S5 arrived for me last monday. 2 discs were loose when I opened it but no damage had been done thankfully. Its soooo cool to finally have all 5 seasons on my shelf. After all the waiting its come full circle again... hard to believe really.
  • S4

Whoa, got my S4 today.. And everything was fine ;)

And about that "No surrender, No retreat" Suite, what is in last DVD... Omg...
    I mean, I cried for a very long time when I saw that "music video" ;)
    Well, not cried.. Couple tears maybe, but still.. OMG!
    That is so.. cool.. I mean, so beautifull... That reminded me how much the real Babylon 5 series means to me.

Way to go Chris Franke ;)
    Yes, my season 4 set arrived today in the mail and as mentionned above, the packaging has indeed completely changed. Each dvd comes in its own slim dvd box and because of this no disc was knocked loose or damaged during shipping. Very sweet design, too bad the previous packaging looks rather cheap now. Well, perhaps they'll release the whole series in this new packaging one day. :)

Well, gotta go, have some episodes to watch. :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]S5 arrived for me last monday. 2 discs were loose when I opened it but no damage had been done thankfully. Its soooo cool to finally have all 5 seasons on my shelf. After all the waiting its come full circle again... hard to believe really. [/B][/QUOTE]

A couple of discs of mine were loose as well, but there was no damage so that's OK.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Just watched Into the Fire and Endgame. :) :) :)

Ahhhhh, feels like christmas.
  • [QUOTE]Been watching through my S4 DVDs, and got to Between the Darkness and the Light last night. There seemed to be a glitch in the episode at the beginning. After Franklin takes off Garabaldi's hood and talks to him for a few seconds, the scene flips back to Franklin walking over to take off Garabaldi's hood again, yet the audio is still playing Franklin's line to Garabaldi.[/QUOTE]

The error is not disc specific. Nor, is it region specific. It did not exist in the original airing! It is the result of somebody making a mistake while the series was first being transferred to widescreen format. When the first season was being screened on the Sci-fi Channel a similar error was made on the first episode :eek: jms had WB fix the problem, but there were more while the second season was first being shown. Therefore, jms in addition to fixing all the problems being seen on the Sci-Fi Channel watched the third, fourth, and fifth seasons and found many more problems. Only two have made it on to the DVDs. The one you mentioned, and one more on [I]Phoenix Rising[/I]. One can hope that if WB releases the series again, at some unknown time in the future, they will fix both these problems.

Samsomael, all the CGI had to be done in a 4:3 ratio. Mainly for monetary reasons. jms had the foresight to add more "space" to CGI only scenes, so that most if not all the action would remain intact. However, CGI also is used in scenes with the actors. These scenes could not be trimmed, so some problems show up. Add to that the fact that DVD is a higher resolution and you have some scenes looking a bit "less than perfect". If you would like to know more check out both

1.) B5 video widescreen / full screen comparison ([url]http://home.iae.nl/users/starcat/b5tvm/[/url])

and

2.) HOW BABYLON 5 IS TRANSFERRED TO DVD ([url]http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Babylon5/DVD/DVDTransfer.html[/url])

I think these two will answer all your questions. Oh yea, the picture quality on gets much better with the season five set. This is just what jms said when the first season came out.