Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Another cryptic message from JMS

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    And don't forget Starfleet Command
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I wasn't aware we had a game o be subpar, and B5ITF is about as far from subpar as you can get.
    [/quote][/b]

Since it was never released, I dont consider a real game.

[quote][b]

Sierra not a big player in the game market?
    [/quote][/b]

I messed up there, I meant to say IFH did a good job, but are not one of the big players, just some Russian fans with a passion.

[quote][b]
    That game doesn't even count as a game, let alone a ST game. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it does count as a game and thats the damn problem, is they keep cramming this crap down our throats and expect to sell soley on the name alone.

Since Activision picked up the contract to make Star Trek based games they have actually done a damn good job. Trek: Armada was a very good game, the sequel was ok. Trek: Elite Forces quickly became a hot selling title to even non-fans.

However all that is over now because Activision is activly in a lawsuit with Paramount because they feel Paramount has not successfully expanded on the Trek universe and give them the exposure to sell more games. They are right too.

again, im hoping for a show/mini-series ala Battlestar Gallactica.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B][/b]Since it was never released, I dont consider a real game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Then what do you mean by "[i]another[/i] subpar game"?
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    I always enjoyed star craft, pissin off the human player by shootin his zealot then draggin it to ur bunkers hehe.
    Im referring to sci-fi show/movies that get made into sub par games in general when I said another.

Its mostly star trek games that suck beyond recognition.

Dont ge me wrong, there of plenty of good games, like Enter the Matrix, but the bad ones overshadow the good. And there have been a rash of bad games in general lately.
    That's definitely true. Why are scifi spinoff games so often shit?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Look at it like this:
    Look at all the titles out there.
    Look at the percentage that is crap
    Compare to Spinoff
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]Dont ge me wrong, there of plenty of good games, like Enter the Matrix... [/B][/QUOTE]

Personally, I was disappointed with Enter the Matrix...I liked what they did with the FMV...and bullet time was alright...but there were SO many bugs (when you're chasing that plane on the ground, and all you see is the cargo hold...no rendered exterior!!)...

I would have rather seen more of Niobi's Operator in the movies than Morpheus' operator...Niobi's had some GOOD lines in the games cutscenes!!
    your right, Niobes operator was much more interesting than that link guy.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The only problem with trek games is that the good ones get ignored.

Until I lost the CD, I was playing Starfleet Command regularly. And, my roomates and I were playing Birth of the Federation multiplayer
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    Is it just me or did it seem that B5 Legend of the Rangers was leading into a series? Looked like plenty of scope for the characters to me, as long as they fixed the damn ship.
    It was the pilot for a new series, but because it had poor ratings the series never got the go ahead.
  • SamsomaelSamsomael Earthforce Officer
    Seems to be an unfortunate pattern with B5, though not always necesssarily to do with poor ratings.
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    If WB won't give them a series then why do they keep insisting on letting them pump out good quality pilots in vain. Someone needs their head checking.
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]It was the pilot for a new series, but because it had poor ratings the series never got the go ahead. [/B][/QUOTE]

I had no idea it was for a series!! I hope even more now that this new JMS project isn't another pilot movie as I can see where it will go and I don't mean from JMS's doing but whoevers the bigwigs now.
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [B]I had no idea it was for a series!! I hope even more now that this new JMS project isn't another pilot movie as I can see where it will go and I don't mean from JMS's doing but whoevers the bigwigs now. [/B][/QUOTE]

I heard that they peeved JMS off with Crusade by trying to influence it's direction, and JMS won't let the big cheeses interfere with the direction of his shows. He's apparently walked out on jobs over this before, and I must respect his integrity.

By the way, how do you set a signature on here?
    'Tis all a tad frustrating for the fan base.

And a pity for those who aren't, who will then be subjected to even more reality TV shows from said bigwigs (sorry, reality stuff is pet peeve :D, but no mind)
    Signature can be added through your personal settings when you are logged on as a user, i think it down the bottom somewhere.
    Gah, should have checked first :o . go to "user cp" at top of page then to "edit profile". It will be there half-way down.:D
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    Thanks for that about signatures. I found it when I looked better.

How about this for reality TV though? Three Minbari, Narn and Centauri closed up in a house for six weeks... :-)
    Intergalactic BB? Eeep! :eek:
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cx2 [/i]
    [B]I heard that they peeved JMS off with Crusade by trying to influence it's direction, and JMS won't let the big cheeses interfere with the direction of his shows. He's apparently walked out on jobs over this before, and I must respect his integrity.[/B][/QUOTE]

It was TNT that tried to influence Crusade, not WB. They wanted some fairly major changes, and jms just started flat out refusing when they got ridiculous. More recently, he decided not to return to write the 3rd season of Jeremiah (after having written a great 1st season and an amazing 2nd season) because, as he said, the MGM execs were the worst people he'd ever had to work with.
    Which group was it that decided to axe B5 in the fourth season? Was that TNT as well, then taken up by WB for a fifth season? My recollection has been a little fuzzy on that.
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    I'm not sure about season 4/5 business, but judging from the last episode of 4 it looked like they were trying to wrap it up anyway, and the 5th season just tied up loose ends (no jokes please Martian Dust).
    From what I understand at the time (and this being quite a few years ago), the Earth civil war was going to be the fifth season. From what I remember the company supporting B5 cut the fifth season while the fourth had started filming.

JMS trimmed the fourth season down so he could fit the fifth season storyline in. A second company stepped in and said they would support a fifth season. This created havoc, I think, with some actors (partiularly CC, hence no Ivanova in the fifth season) as they had already signed on for other projects but the show did go on.

I'm curious as to which company was which as I can't remember, if anyone knows?
  • cx2cx2 Trainee
    That would explain how the Shadow war got finished so fast...

But I heard that they asked all actors to attend a meeting whilst CC was over here doing convention work in the UK and couldn't make it, thus being sadly lost. Lochley was OK, but I preferred Ivanova's sense of humour
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I think the reason WB canceled B5 after the 4th season were the changes in the syndication market.
    The networks (The WB Network, UPN, Fox) took more and more stations, and there weren't many free timeslots left for syndication shows.
    Also, you have to understand that WB isn't/wasn't one big entity, but each section (the network, the syndication unit) was kinda competing with one another, and the Network would never have picked up a WB syndicated series (in part also because they tried to get a distinct identity).
    If I understand it correctyl, there weren't enough timeslots left to get nation-wide comercials, and thus the funding of the show disappeared, no matter how good the ratings and demographics were.
    The whole season 4 thing was to do with the channel B5 played on being shut down or something. jms has also said that nothing would have happened that much faster or slower had they known for sure about getting a 5th season. The season 4 cliff hanger would have been near the end of the earth civil war, and the first couple of episodes of season 5 would have tidied that up. Also note that B5 was [b]never[/b] cancelled, they just weren't sure if they would get a 5th season or not.
    This has all been covered in great detail on these boards before, so do a search and you'll find some better explanations than I can give. You could also try poking around at [url=http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html]The Lurker's Guide[/url].
    The original network that was funding B5 was call PTEN. Those of use lucky enough to watch it in its first broadcast day Im sure remember the PTEN logo.

When PTEN collapsed it was WB picked it up. Biggles is right though, B5 was never cancelled it was just unclear as to if they were going to get the green light for season 5 or not.

And yes, JMS trimmed the story so that he could complete the major story arcs in the 4th season. The last episode shown in the 5th season is actually shot in the 4th season thats how you see Claudia Christian in it.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]And yes, JMS trimmed the story so that he could complete the major story arcs in the 4th season. [/B][/QUOTE]

He has stated that he only trimmed it by a couple of episodes, nothing significant.