Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate Atlantis

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
STARGATE ATLANTIS: Yesterday, the Sci-Fi Channel and MGM Television Entertainment announced today plans for their proposed spinoff series of STARGATE SG-1 titled STARGATE ATLANTIS. Twenty one-hour episodes of ATLANTIS have been ordered to debut on SCIFI in the summer of 2004. The new series will air back-to-back with new episodes from the eighth season of STARGATE SG-1. Here is SCIFI's description of the setting of ATLANTIS:

"SG-1 centers on the Stargate, an ancient portal that allows instantaneous travel across the galaxy. STARGATE ATLANTIS will take viewers on a brand new adventure, with a whole new team. In the new series, a secret base left by the originators of the Stargate is discovered in the most unlikely of places – on Earth, buried among the ruins of the legendary city of Atlantis. The implications of this amazing discovery lead the Atlantis team to a distant galaxy where a primitive human civilization is threatened by a sinister new enemy."

Although no cast has yet been named, fans will be glad to hear that SCIFI also confirmed the appearance of SG-1 cast members in ATLANTIS episodes. The premiere episode of STARGATE ATLANTIS will be as a two-hour movie and definitely feature SG-1 characters. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper will serve as executive producers on the new series. Cooper is currently executive producer on STARGATE SG-1 while Brad Wright is co-creator of SG-1, and served as the original series’ executive producer for six seasons.

OK boys and girls lets witness the deconstruction of a great series into shity spin-offs!

Comments

• I'm wanting an SG1 movie...not a new series that sounds stupid
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    uninspired is more like it.

how many gates can one planet have?!?!
  • 3, apparently
  • ehh, as long as its better than rangers. But then this [I]is[/I] sci-fi. Oh well.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    So much for originality.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Still, the Stargate movie is best.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    The original Stargate movie is still the best in the series, and it's a real shame it was so underrated and didn't get the trilogy it was supposed to be. :(
    i wouldnt say underated, it was quite a success at the box office and well liked by critics.
    It was supposed to be a trilogy? That would have rocked!
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]uninspired is more like it.

how many gates can one planet have?!?! [/B][/QUOTE]

As many as the inhabitants want. They just can't all run at the same time.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]It was supposed to be a trilogy? That would have rocked! [/B][/QUOTE]

The trilogy continued in the form of two novels IIRC. If we totally ignored SG-1 and went JUST by the novels, the goa'uld would be FAR more powerful than we know them to be. I'm talking "so, you'll rise up against us eh? Time for a good bitchslapping to put you people back in your place!" powerful.
    You know what's funny? The same crowd that was "wait and see" for Enterprise is doing a complete 180 in this thread. :) Personally, I'm reserving judgement since I actually liked Legend of the Rangers. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the series, but it was so damn cheezy you couldn't help but like it. :D
  • The lack of Teal'c in the new spin-off is definately a downside. How can you have a Stargate show without the grim-faced one? :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Morden
    it just better be as funny as SG1.

the longest running one hour comedy on tv :D
  • oh great
    another spinoff series of a quality TV show

the only good one ever made (aside from all gundam series except SD gundam) was Crusade
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Hey, you're forgetting DS9....
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by StarfuryMan [/i]
    [B]oh great
    another spinoff series of a quality TV show

the only good one ever made (aside from all gundam series except SD gundam) was Crusade [/B][/QUOTE]

Was Gundam Wing the original or a spinoff? 'Cause if it's a spinoff, you can chalk it up as "worst spin off on the face of the planet".
  • hey, i like SG-1... i agree, atlantis sounds............... bleh? but still it's something Sci-Fi to watch....
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]hey, i like SG-1... i agree, atlantis sounds............... bleh? but still it's something Sci-Fi to watch.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, Farscape sounded bleh when I first saw it, but look what happened to it. It now has a MASSIVE following (ironicaly, mostly women!) and its getting resurrected! Granted, Atlantis does sound like a crappy spin-off....however it could turn out to be half-way decent. Look at what happened to TNG. Its first season sucked, but it got a hell of alot better afterwards. Even SG-1's first season wasn't all that great compared to the ones that followed.
    I won't watch something just because it's scifi. If it isn't good, why bother?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B] Even SG-1's first season wasn't all that great compared to the ones that followed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, they all had P90s in the later series. ;)

Regards,
    Morden
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]If it isn't good, why bother? [/B][/QUOTE]

ummm because it's Sci-Fi... and not a crappy sitcom... so, because it's Sci-Fi.
    I don't watch things just for the sake of it. :)
    The point we're trying to make Biggles, is that we're trying to get it across to Scifi that we want ACTUAL scifi content, not reality TV garbage, or cheap-ass movies/tv shows that don't even fit with the genre on the damn channel! Furthermore, I'm willing to give Atlantis a shot. Not because its scifi, but because it might have some promise to it. (just like B5 did when it first aired) I just hope it doesn't become another shitty spin-off like Infinity is.... I watched 5 minutes of that crap, and then I changed the damn channel.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Infinity is a fad-based spinoff. It was doomed to fail before it was even started.
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    I haven't seen very many Stargate episodes, but the ones I've seen are promising... makes me wonder if it'd be worth it to get into it.

The new show could be interesting, but I'm not going to hold my breath mostly because SciFi's record so far has been pretty disappointing.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arik [/i]
    [B]I haven't seen very many Stargate episodes, but the ones I've seen are promising... makes me wonder if it'd be worth it to get into it.

The new show could be interesting, but I'm not going to hold my breath mostly because SciFi's record so far has been pretty disappointing. [/B][/QUOTE]

Arik, if you ever watch any episodes of SG-1 at all, watch the following eps:

Season 1:
    "Thor's Hammer"
    "The Torment of Tauntilus"
    "Bloodlines"
    "Fire And Water"
    "The Nox"
    "Cor-ai"
    "Singularity"
    "Politics"
    "Within the Serpent's Grasp"

Season 2:
    "The Serpent's Lair"
    "Thor's Chariot"
    "Family"
    "Secrets"
    "The Tok'Ra (parts 1 and 2)"
    "The Fifth Race"
    "Serpent's Song"
    "Holiday"
    "1969" (one of my favorites)
    "Out of Mind"

Season 3:
    "Into the Fire"
    "Fair Game"
    "Legacy"
    "Deadman Switch"
    "Demons"
    "Rules of Engagement"
    "Forever in a Day" (this one might confuse you a little, because of the way its laid out)
    "Jolinar's Memories"
    "The Devil You Know"
    "Pretense"
    "Urgo" (HILARIOUS episode, featuring Dom Delouise)
    "A Hundred Days"
    "Maternal Instinct" (shows first sighting of an actual ancient!)
    "Nemesis"

Season 4:
    "Small Victories"
    "Upgrades" (another hilarious episode)
    "Crossroads"
    "Divide and Conquer"
    "Window of Opportunity" (My favorite episode by far!)
    "Watergate" (features Marina Sirtis)
    "The First Ones"
    "Scorched Earth"
    "Point of No Return"
    "Tangent"
    "The Serpent's Venom"
    "2010"
    "Absolute Power"
    "Prodigy"
    "Double Jeopardy"
    "Exodus"

I only have upto season 4 on DVD (season 5 isn't out yet for those of us in region 1), but this is a good start for now. :)
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Wow, looks like the 'not in' list would have been way shorter, so I'm better off just watching any and all episodes as often as I can catch them.

Thanks for the list, though, I'll try to make sure to be on the lookout for the episodes you listed, at least as many as I will remember from that list.
    this girl i know just randomly gave me the second season on dvd. I mean i so definatly like her and she is one of my better friends it was just funny to me that she gave me it out of the blue.

Back on the subject at hand, I'm gonna give Atlantis a shot but i still have this feeling...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arik [/i]
    [B]Wow, looks like the 'not in' list would have been way shorter, so I'm better off just watching any and all episodes as often as I can catch them.

Thanks for the list, though, I'll try to make sure to be on the lookout for the episodes you listed, at least as many as I will remember from that list. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, next monday you might be able to catch "The Fifth Race". You've missed the Tok'Ra two-parter.