Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Debris?

MorteMorte Earthforce Officer
I was just wondering how in the campaign debris is added after a ship explodes, and if we could add it in as part of our ship mods. And if we can, should we add debris (obviously I am for this- I like the idea of seeing chunks of dead shipping floating around).
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a thought ;)

Comments

• PsiqxPsiqx Trainee
    could possibly script debris to be added after a ship gets blown to bits....

what would be cool would be derelic hulls of capships floating about :) scorch marks gapping holes.. etc etc (think intro movie to Freespace 2) might be cool to do that for a scripted 'cut scene' or something...

Psiqx.
  • Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    Re: Debris?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morte [/i]
    [B]I was just wondering how in the campaign debris is added after a ship explodes, and if we could add it in as part of our ship mods. And if we can, should we add debris (obviously I am for this- I like the idea of seeing chunks of dead shipping floating around).
    Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a thought ;) [/B][/QUOTE]At least I can't find anything regarding debris from scripting sdk so it's either hardcoded feature to engine or modeller can define it somewhere.
  • MorteMorte Earthforce Officer
    Methinks this requires some investigation then. Thanks for the help :)
    Edit: Just thought- could it simply be a "When x destroyed spawn y at location x" kinda script, with the debris as a different model- 'cause that's what I seem to be finding...
  • Roi DantonRoi Danton Moderator
    Ship Wrecks

Psiqx and me discussed about it yesterday. Writing a task functions that creates a new damaged model of a cap/parts of a fighter spinning around; on the position and with the speed in that direction the ship flew before.

So modellers, are you willing to create low-poly destroyed models from cap ships and parts of the fighters like engine and so on? :) :)
    Cool! Debris is really easy as long as you have the original model- you select a part of the model, copy it off to a new file, give it a ragged edge and a new texture and you're set (for fighters at least). Get the script, I'll get the debris ;)
    (Ps: I take it the debris will be ship specific?)
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    ok if u watch the last mission of Iwar2 the player base is destroyed... when the base blows, it's simply scripted that debris is added in at the place of the base... and it kinda spews from the center of the base... all that is needed is modeled bits of debris..
    Yes, I know. But that was a mission specific script- I understood that Roi is working on a script that will create debris all the time, so maybe it will be ship specific too :)
    Wrecks

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morte [/i]
    [B]I understood that Roi is working on a script that will create debris all the time, so maybe it will be ship specific too :) [/B][/QUOTE]
    Hehe, actually Psiqx had the idea.

[size=3]Fighters[/size]
    But Morte you're right. Maybe you played X-Wing Alliance .. when you destroy the TIE Fighters the Wings and the cockpit flow away.

[size=3]Cap Ships[/size]
    After the destruction of the cap ships they could leave behind wrecks that don't disappear during the battle ... so you actually see after the battle that there was one. That would be a "new" innovation for a space sim ;) . And b/c many high wreck models would kill the performance I thought of low poly wreck models with low resoluted dark textures.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    who the heck is Psiqx?? and how is he posting in the dev forum?
    Re: Wrecks

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Roi Danton [/i]
    [B]
    After the destruction of the cap ships they could leave behind wrecks that don't disappear during the battle ... so you actually see after the battle that there was one. That would be a "new" innovation for a space sim ;) . And b/c many high wreck models would kill the performance I thought of low poly wreck models with low resoluted dark textures. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well... it isn't exactly new- Freespace 2 did it and one of the ships that I made but never released had what was pretty much a whole hulk with bits missing- it will be very cool though :)

as for:
    [quote][b]who the heck is Psiqx?? and how is he posting in the dev forum?[/b][/quote]
    :noidea:
    Morte, have a look at the Personal Thread.

So, could you model some wrecks or separate parts of a fighter? So Logic needn't to do it/to do all of it.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Roi Danton [/i]
    [B]Morte, have a look at the Personal Thread.

So, could you model some wrecks or separate parts of a fighter? So Logic needn't to do it/to do all of it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Awww hell yeah :)