Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

AOG License Expired

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
AOG's license for making B5 games has expired and like hasn't been renewed.
As far as i know they were the last company that had a B5 license.
read more [url="http://www.agentsofgaming.com/b5wnews.htm"]here[/url]

Comments

• RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Damnit to hell. There goes the last f*cking franchise.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    No, no, no, that is [i]not[/i] good. Unless Fleet Action 2 makes it, Agents of Gaming is pretty much dead.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    JMS has made two Usenet posts on this:

[quote]>Agents of Gaming, the last holder of a Babylon 5 license, is no longer
    >allowed to produce or sell thier Babylon 5 Wars game lines. See
    >www.agentsofgaming.com for more details.
    >
    >This is very sad. It is a dark time for the Babylon 5 universe.

However, another RPG company has just come on board with ideas on how to come
    up with some very cool stuff. More on this at a later point.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2002 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine and don't send me story ideas)
    [/quote]

[quote]>It is my sad duty to report that AOG's Babylon 5 contract
    >has ended and will not be renewed. Regrettably, no further Babylon 5
    >game licenses or renewals are being granted due to the lack of an
    >ongoing show or property to build upon. AOG held, to our knowledge,
    >the last existing game license for B5.

>So what happens to the B5 product line?
    >It is now out of print. No new products will be made.

A new license has just been made with another RPG company, and they're looking
    to come out with their first salvo next year.

Just in the interests of accuracy.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2002 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine and don't send me story ideas)[/quote]

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 09-21-2002).]
  • madmaniacmadmaniac Earthforce Officer
    damn... but not entirely surprising. better get my credit card and order those miniatures I´m missing while they still last... (didn´t play much, but I always liked those miniatures).

I´m pleasantly surprised though, that there will be another B5RPG - the last attempt didn´t last very long, afaik (I was never able to pick it up here, so I don´t know if it was any good...)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    OK, so another company got a license. That's nice. Why didn't AOG get a renewal?

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
    Biggles: My reaction exactly. I don't know about the rest of you, but this new RPG license tastes kinda sour to me, especially considering that B5Wars is [i]not[/i] an RPG!! It's a war game, and moreover, B5 material currently makes up about 80-90% of AoG's stock list. Unless Fleet Action 2 takes off, AoG will go bankrupt. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pissed at WB.

------------------
    Thats utter crap. If they can give another liscence to a different company, why the hell can't they ****ing throw a bone to a company that has given its namesake for B5. Bullshit. This pisses me off to no end.
    You guys are jumping to some really big conclusions.

Perhaps AOG didn't want to pay for a new license.

Or perhaps the asking price was too high.

Or perhaps WB didn't like what AOG was doing.

You're all acting as if the new company that has the license couldn't produce anything good.

Bekenn, B5Wars IS an RPG. It's a role-playing game. Table top war games ARE RPGs.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    So... chess is an RPG? Checkers? [i]Poker?[/i]
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    *note to self - buy last remaining Walock miniature at local games shop*

dang... I would so like to have been able to get a Sharlin and few others, Narn Dreadnought etc... sod it.

I hope the new B5 RPG is worth the paper its printed on, the previous one was A grade crap.

And yes there was a table top war game AND an RPG... the AOG wargame was pretty good by all accounts,
  • crud....

makes my Gropos mod that much harder, less reference...less support from that community...

and no more minutures... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
    A2597: Buy what you can [i]now[/i]. What's been released is still available until October 31st, when they will have to destroy their inventory. Until then, their products are being sold at a pretty good discount, particularly for bulk purchases.

samuelk: War games and RPGs are related, yes, but I believe JMS is talking about your more mainstream character-based RPG, with character sheets, player stats, and the like. B5Wars, GROPOS, and Fleet Action were [i]nothing[/i] like that, and although the two have an overlapping customer base, a B5 RPG and a B5 wargame would not be in competition with each other.

------------------
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Warner B have other plans for the B5 franchise.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
    [quote]samuelk: War games and RPGs are related, yes, but I believe JMS is talking about your more mainstream character-based RPG, with character sheets, player stats, and the like. B5Wars, GROPOS, and Fleet Action were nothing like that, and although the two have an overlapping customer base, a B5 RPG and a B5 wargame would not be in competition with each other.[/quote]

You're reading to much into JMS' use of the word "RPG".

He said an "RPG Company" is working on new stuff. He didn't say the games themselves would be RPGs as you seem to think of them.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 09-23-2002).]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I have a Babylon Wars game box that has been opened but never played. Has everything it came with basically untouched for several years.

Hmmmmm...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • ArgoneArgone Genuine Klingon
    2 sets B-5 playing cards. Never been opened.

Before you ask [b]NOT FOR SALE[/b] [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

Took me forever to get them. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]

Argone

------------------
    [b]4 Thousand Throats can be cut in one night by a running Warrior[/b]
  • [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b]You guys are jumping to some really big conclusions.[/b][/quote]

Valid ones.

[quote][b]Perhaps AOG didn't want to pay for a new license. Or perhaps the asking price was too high. Or perhaps WB didn't like what AOG was doing.[/b][/quote]

Incorrect. AoG wanted the license renewal and WB has been happy with them. Very happy. There was no asking price, since WB told them "no renewal." Why? I have a good idea...a company paid a LOT more to WB in a back-room deal to cinch up an exclusive license. I'm guessing it was a big company. It wouldn't surprise me if that company was WotC, but I'm probably wrong on that front.

[quote][b]You're all acting as if the new company that has the license couldn't produce anything good.[/b][/quote]

That's irrelevant, as WB and another company screwed AoG, one of the only companies that actually listens to its customers and goes out of their way to make things right, out of a hefty chunk of their revenue stream, probably just so they'd be the only ones allowed to release B5 tabletop games. That's business for you.
    The main point is WB ****ed over AOG after years of dedicated support of the B5 community. Its bullshit. WB can have more than one B5 liscense out at a time...
  • Actually your wrong, they could have as many as they want. That is due to the current Liecence exspiration so that means it can be changed to allow upto whatever keep in mind that things such as Star Trek and Star wars do not have limits
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Um, just curious, but how steep is the learning curve for the AOG game? I'm willing to put in the time to learn it, but I'm not sure if I could get anyone else to if it took more than five minutes to get the basic idea of how it goes.
    Learning curve, can't really say because I have never had the opportunity to play against someone. However, I would say a half hour to get the basics (less if someone is helping you) with advanced knowledge coming quite a bit later. Someone else might be able to tell you better. Unfortunately, I have never met a B5 fan in my town (yet).
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    Hmmm... I think Rhett is about right. The basics aren't hard to learn, if you’ve played tabletop games before, but a long time to master.

I never did find anyone in my area to play B5W with.
  • Ranger BrianRanger Brian The Anti-Scrooge
    This is taken from the AOG's web site

[b] [quote]

Okay, seriously, why isn't the license being renewed?

The contract ended normally. There were renewal clauses (we used them twice before) but this time things didn't work out. The reason for cancellation is simply that the show is no longer on the air. While we don't know for sure, we presume that had Legend of the Rangers made it to TV, interest in Babylon 5 might have picked up and this whole situation could have been avoided. NOTE: This was a MUTUAL decision. Please don't hold WB responsible or blame them in any way. The contract died a natural, normal death.

Why didn't you tell us this before?

We hoped to extend the contract. Until we knew for sure we could not, it made bad business sense to tell people the license was ending. Stores and distributors would drop the line like a hot potato, and then, if we did achieve renewal, there would be no way to recover. This announcement is being made at the earliest possible time.

Did AOG do anything wrong to cause this to happen?

No. We were current on all royalty payments and never had any problems dealing with Warner Bros. throughout the entire duration of the contract. Termination occurred simply because Babylon 5 is no longer on television.

Is there anything I can do to save the contract?

No. In fact, please do not attempt to do so. You'll only waste your time and ours and annoy Warner Bros. in the process. WB did nothing wrong, so do not curse or blame them for this. It was always understood that this contract would, eventually, expire. Its time simply came to an end.

[/b] [/quote]

-------------------
    [b]www.aerowebspace.co.uk[/b]
    --
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper,
    Only those that prosper truly judge what is sane.

[This message has been edited by Ranger Brian (edited 10-11-2002).]
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Well...that just blows the proverbial goat.

btw: Hi all [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] I'm not dead (yet)....just on....extended leave [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

-R.

------------------
    [i]"...Never start a fight...but [b]always[/b] finish it."[/i]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You took leave of your job to come visit us? We're honoured!
    [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • rhett and rambie

why u didnt use somekind of web cam and contact...to play by mail for example.

mixing that with a web cam can be funny.

and look at this
    [url="http://www.agentsofgaming.com/wall1.jpg"]http://www.agentsofgaming.com/wall1.jpg[/url]

hehehe

the license went down as always for the little words of the contract if that contract got all the tablegames (rpg, war etc), if WB wants to give the contract to another company they must cut AOG license.

but they could make a new contract for the games of AOG, for the actual games and few more (like fleet action2).

something more is cooking behind the scene....
  • What is wrong with WB?? First they do not renew the license for the B5 CCG, which was very well
    done. Now they are not renewing AoG's license, even though they have made an excellent and detailed
    Babylon 5 wargame. So what if there are no new episodes on the air? That has nothing to do with
    the ongoing high popularity of Babylon 5. Why yank all the licenses? All that does is stop any further
    sales of Babylon 5 items. Why would that be good for WB?

This especially makes no sense when you consider that the release of the *much* anticipated
    first season of Babylon 5 on DVD is just around the corner. This would be the perfect time
    to have Babylon 5 mugs, t-shirts, board games, etc. available for the fans to buy.
    Star Trek (the original series) doesn't have any new episodes on the air, but you can still get all
    sorts of original series merchandise. Why should Babylon 5 be any different? B5 also has many, many fans.

Why is it that we Babylon 5 fans have to constantly put up with idiotic suits who foul everything up
    for us? Arggh!
    [quote]Originally posted by Dunedain:
    [b]What is wrong with WB?? First they do not renew the license for the B5 CCG, which was very well
    done. Now they are not renewing AoG's license, even though they have made an excellent and detailed
    Babylon 5 wargame. So what if there are no new episodes on the air? That has nothing to do with
    the ongoing high popularity of Babylon 5. Why yank all the licenses? All that does is stop any further
    sales of Babylon 5 items. Why would that be good for WB?

This especially makes no sense when you consider that the release of the *much* anticipated
    first season of Babylon 5 on DVD is just around the corner. This would be the perfect time
    to have Babylon 5 mugs, t-shirts, board games, etc. available for the fans to buy.
    Star Trek (the original series) doesn't have any new episodes on the air, but you can still get all
    sorts of original series merchandise. Why should Babylon 5 be any different? B5 also has many, many fans.

Why is it that we Babylon 5 fans have to constantly put up with idiotic suits who foul everything up
    for us? Arggh![/b][/quote]

It wasn't WB, AOG didn't want to renew.

-------------------
    --
    Ranger Brian: I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that AoG didn't want to renew. Read their press release.

------------------
    According to the FAQ on AOG's site, they state that it's a mutual decision, and it's not WB's fault.

OK that could just be good PR so not to piss off WB, but I get the impresion from what they say, that they didn't want to extend the licence this time round.

Mind you I haven't seen the press release, so I don't know what they originlly said.

-------------------
    --