Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Halo 3

[url]http://www.bungie.net/News/Topstory.aspx?link=Halo3Announcement[/url]

Download the trailer. Discuss.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I don't understand why people get so worked up about Halo games. They're pretty generic FPS games. The only thing they actually have going for them is the coop play, which is not enough to explain the excitement they generate.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I agree.

The first one was extremely repetitive anyways..
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    My roomate is obsessed with the series, and I've never understood it.

Part of the problem is the painfully handicapped control system, which is a nightmare to use. And the in-game vehicle and weapon dynamics are jsut uninteresting. Sure, it could be fun, but the game just fails to renew interest in itself as time goes on.
  • The first game blatantly reused three entire levels. That said, it did have some innovation with the vehicles and the wide-open terrain. Far Cry wouldn't be seen for three years. Elite Force, which came out in 2001 just like Halo, was a run of the mill FPS, with nothing added to the gameplay save for the fact that it was set in the Star Trek universe. The only game like it in its time was Command and Conquer: Renegade, which pretty much was a flop. The single player was atrocious, the multiplayer engaging but far too few people even bothered. Anyone else care to name an FPS from 2001 or before that allowed such huge areas or the drivingof an assortment of vehicles (with player/NPC accessible turrets/seats)?

Halo 2 really upped the ante when it came to the story.The gameplay was refined, with things like dual wielding and vehicle boarding added to balance it out. But you have to remember, Bungie was working within the confines of the XboX - basically a GeForce3 level card and an old Pentium III.

This teaser for Halo 3 looks amazing, especially considering it was rendered in real time by the game's engine, running on a 360. My only hope is that the plot will do justice to the conclusion of the series.

Oh, and I do hate console controllers with a passion, but having had an XboX in the lounge for our dorm I've become accustomed to the control scheme and it really isn't that bad. It's a steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with the controller, to be sure, but it's not unmanagable. I'll be looking forward to Halo 2 for the PC so I can use a mouse and keyboard in multiplayer.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]But you have to remember, Bungie was working within the confines of the XboX - basically a GeForce3 level card and an old Pentium III.[/B][/QUOTE]

Doom 3 is also for the xbox, and is IMO a lot better..
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    [B]basically a GeForce3 level card and an old Pentium III.[/B][/QUOTE]Actually, it is Celeron 733MHz... :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Doom 3 is also for the xbox, and is IMO a lot better.. [/B][/QUOTE]

But it was made years afterward, and not only that but it had little in the line of innovation. Another corridor-wandering FPS. Halo is typified by its long expanses of terrain and its vehicle mayhem.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]Actually, it is Celeron 733MHz... :) [/B][/QUOTE]

What a Celeron is depends on the individual chip. For example, the celerons of today are castrated P4s or even Pentium Ds with one core disabled. The Celeron used in the XboX is a castrated PIII. Why make a new architecture that's deliberate slower for your budget chips, when you can take your expensive chips that have cache defects or other flaws and sell them as Celerons? Just disable the half of the cache that has the defect and voila, instant budget chip. Same with Celerons today or the "Core Solo." One core on your Yonah got a major defect? Disable it and sell it for the working core.

So, actually, it's a castrated PIII ;). We're both right.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I don't understand why people get so worked up about Halo games. They're pretty generic FPS games. The only thing they actually have going for them is the coop play, which is not enough to explain the excitement they generate. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I can't speak for most of the world, but I, for one, was hooked by [url=http://marathon.bungie.org/story/]Marathon[/url] years before Halo was a gleam in Microsoft's wallet.
  • [hint of jealousy] Stupid mac gamers... [/hint of jealousy]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]Well, I can't speak for most of the world, but I, for one, was hooked by [url=http://marathon.bungie.org/story/]Marathon[/url] years before Halo was a gleam in Microsoft's wallet. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was too. That doesn't mean I should like Halo and every sequel made, nor does it automatically make Halo a good game. :)
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    Halo is one of those cases where the licensed novels absolutely blow away what's actually in the games.
  • AkrovahAkrovah Ranger
    [B] Anyone else care to name an FPS from 2001 or before that allowed such huge areas or the drivingof an assortment of vehicles (with player/NPC accessible turrets/seats)?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I never played it myself so correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Tribes had wide open terrain and vehicles did it not? And that was a few years before Halo. Halo's terrain is also not very open. Even the outdoor areas ussually take place in some sort of Canyon.

That being said, I do love the Halo series (including Books) for the story and the universe. Most of the gameplay elements are not that inventive to be sure, and the levels are repetative, especcially the first game, but I still find the plot engaging, especially for an FPS.

And as I am a huge fan of trilogies, I am looking forward to Halo 3. The PC version.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    What I liked about Halo and Halo2 was that I wasn't alone all the time. I had team mates who helped me out.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    The best thing about Halo is/was [URL=http://www.redvsblue.com/]Red vs. Blue[/URL]
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Im not big into Halo, but I do play it. It was the best fps available for the xbox at the time and allowed you to play in online slayer matches (be they team or otherwise). That actually about all Ive ever played in Halo is online with friends.

We still play Halo 2 online.

Its probably what I will end up buying Halo 3 for as well.