Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Unscheduled Offworld Activation...

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]I think the [SPOILER]return of claudia black[/SPOILER] will bring the show around.

And no, that's not a joke. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think O'Neill coming back will bring the show around. No offence to Ben Prowder I like him but Jack was the show.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]They actually allready went to hell, i think in season 3 or so, when they rescued Sam's Father from the god of the underworld ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I really liked SG-1 into at least series 5, especially when the Prometheus was launched. That battle sequence in the Antarctic was awesome. ;)

Still, I'm a poor Brit with terrestrial. I'm not even [i]close[/i] to seeing the new episodes...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    the Antarctic was, like, Season 7. Excluding replicarter, the show was mostly great until it ended the first time in S8 :p
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    The only redeeming quality of the new series is that at least the Ori don't feel as stupid of an enemy as the replicators. Most of the replicator episodes bored me to tears. Evil lego bricks are just not very intimidating and downright annoying.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    To me, one of the main problems with SG-1 now is they have advanced too far with technology. I know it would stand to reason that they would, given that they have had contact with alien races for almost a decade now, but it doesn't do so much in terms of SG1 being a good television show.

What do I mean?

In the seasons before the Prometheus was launched, SG1 was about teams going through the gate and exploring new worlds. The gate was the only means they could achieve interstellar travel. If they encountered a problem, they had to figure it out on their own with little or no outside help. Now all they have to do is hop on their spaceship (or ships now) and go where they want. You know what that is? Pretty much every other (popular) science fiction show / movie. (Yes, I know, there are plenty of sci-fi shows / movies that don't have any form of interstellar travel, but in the popular mind people think of space ships when they hear science fiction.)

The reason the writers, producers, etc added starships is because the heros can only go through the gate and get captured by [i](insert sinister alien here)[/i] so many times. Starships were added to create new plotlines. In doing so however, they have taken away from what set SG1 apart from the other sci-fi. Namely, they never took themselves too seriously.

I always got the impression that the SG1 team almost didn't believe what they were seeing themselves. They would make jokes (esp Jack) about the situation they were in being, in another context, impossible.

Sorry about the rant, I had more to say (believe it or not) but I have to go to class. :)

[i]Edit: I fixed some grammar errors. I also made a sentence a little clearer... sorry, I was rushed.[/i] ;)
    well, the addition of starships was, really inevitable. But the Prometheus was always used sparingly. It existed, but it was known to be rather slow, small, and underpowered compared to any other race's ships. The problem now is with the Daedalus, which can travel between galaxies in days. It's a plain 'ol starfleet vessel now. It's got transporters, phasers, photon torpedoes, and shields. Well, not exactly those, but it's close enough.
    I disagree with starships becoming "inevitable" in SG1. Building an interstellar craft I think would take much more time than they have given on the show, even with alien help. But my main point is, (apparently along with many others here) something was taken away from the show when they started to focus too much on technology. I do agree that the newest SG1 ship would be basicly at home in starfleet, and is entirely too advanced.

Perhaps the problem is the show's focus was too narrow to begin with. Or at least, too narrow for 9 seasons. If they would have ended the show at either season 7 or 8, then I doubt we would even be having this discussion. But as I stated earlier, going to a new planet and getting captured every week (or something taking over the base) became stale. To SG1's credit however, they have in recent seasons, made jokes about how often they get out of tight jams.

I suppose it's just more frustration than anything else that spawns these feelings. Maybe SG1 should have been retired while it was on top.
    I still think the primary reason SG-1 fell from grace can still be traced to a loss of of its own identity. The entire cast had such strong chemistry, whether for better or worse, and the writers understood how to best utilize this to complement their capabilities. So the show ended up with a very serious atmosphere capped with light-hearted humor between the interesting and varied characters. And it all worked.

We lost great recurring characters like Martouf and Dr. Frasier, and instead had them replaced by silliness.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I thought Martouf died pretty early on.

I agree about the Daedalus, however I think it's quite natural for that ship to be more advanced than the Prometheus, given the time (and the technology gathered) between when the two ships were built, the writers made it a bit too advanced.

I don't think the Daedalus should keep travelling back and forward between Atlantis and Earth, again the writers should just have it stay with Atlantis. It makes sense for the ZPM to have increased its hyperdrive speed but when Atlantis recieved that ZPM, the ship should have become much slower (but not as slow as the Prometheus).
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    The great thing about the Stargate, was we didnt get too involved about "how" it worked just that it did.

They might as well start calling Carter, Data. She was the worlds foremost expert on the Stargate, I can see that. But she has been in the field now for 8 years in a constant up time environment. That does not leave a lot of time to keep up on research, yet they consistantly go to her for every problem, she apparently designed part of the Prometheous, ect...

Its just too much for one person. They have litterally written her character out of believability.

Daniel was always one of the more interesting characters, but Im not sure what he is there for anymore. We rarely see him translating anything anymore. I like that they took a nerdy little bookworm of a guy and have turned him into a real field guy but what does he do anymore??

I miss Dr Fraiser. That last episode reminded of how much I like Teryl Rothery. Its funny because the only two people I have actually met from Stargate, are no longer there (Teryl and Don Davis).

I just wish it would go back to being Stargate and not GateTrek or FarGate.
    Maybe it wasn't Martouf, but it was somebody. I forget who up and died recently who I missed a lot. Shows you how little an impact the show has on me anymore.
    I agree completely SpiritOne. Once again, this proves that the show has gone on for too long and should have been stopped a few seasons ago.

I hate to say it but I think Star Trek TNG and DS9 got it right (in terms of length) better than any other sci-fi show. SG1 passed it 2 seasons ago. TNG and DS9 said everything they needed to say but was still interesting throughout. Esp. TNG that had a great bookend to the show. That last episode (All Good Things...) was IMHO, some of the best science fiction ever made and tied the beginning and end of the show beautifully.

The problem today is that most feel like sci-fi is "been there, done that." I think it's because, it really has. Instead of focusing on stories and characters, the powers that be feel they need to load up on special effects. SG1 is now at that point. It has become about the spaceships and not about the people.

I think the moment I realized I had seen too many special effects was when I saw Star Wars Ep III (specifically the lightsaber battle at the end). :vorlon:
    Actually, I wish we had more seasons of DS9. It had enough story to pull at least one, maybe two more seasons, and the cast was working really well.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Space Ghost [/i]
    [B]I hate to say it but I think Star Trek TNG and DS9 got it right (in terms of length) better than any other sci-fi show. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I can think of one show that got it right better than these two. ;)
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Hey did anyone see last nights Atlantis? I'm not exactly sure what show I was watching. The plot had something to do with a wacky scientist guy talking to himself and a blond woman who only exists in his mind. That story seems strangely familiar...:confused:
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [url=http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s7/713.shtml]Stargate SG-1, 7x13, "Grace"[/url] in which professional scientist and blonde woman Sam Carter hallucinates other people to help her out of a dire situation where she is the only person conscious/alive.

Thus, the cunning pun of the title. In addition to referring to the old cliché [url=http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/214.shtml]"Grace Under Pressure,"[/url] it is also a take on the episode "Grace," but "Under [the] Pressure" of thousands of feet of ocean. So it's more of a homage to the earlier episode than a rip-off.
    I think he was referring to Battlestar Galactica.

Worf
    What did people think of the latest SG1 episode?

Spoiler: I thought it was good, back to good old shootem up with the G'ould! Felt like the good old days. Yet at the same time the plot bugged me. Yet again we have Teal'c getting captured and yet another attempt to turn him. Like thats never been done before!!!! I suppose you could say that Baal would be up to his old tricks and use the usual nasty techniques we've all seen before. And it felt like another filler epsiode to a degree... right ok we've done this much on the Ori lets chuck one more ep with Baal in, just to remind everyone that he's still around.

Despite that I enjoyed the episode, was good to see some good old Jaffa action! :D
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    it was... hm.. how do i best put it... [COLOR=green]green[/COLOR]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i think having baal/cliff simon in the show still is a good thing. of all the system lords, baal is one of my favourites (the other being anubis), and i think cliff simon does a brilliant job of playing him.

im afraid to say that i only really watch sg-1 as a force of habit these days, and while atlantis does at times feel like sg1 v1.5, i much prefer it.

sg-1 should have ended at the end of season 8:(

i absolutely agree with SpiritOne about Carter. she's just become a walking tech manual.

i did however love 'ripple effect' not for the storyline which i thought rather predictable, but because we saw doc frasier and martouf. these two were easily my favourite recurring good guy characters. i always was rather pissed off that they killed them off, especially killing martouf so early on. at least fraisier got a good long run.
    It was cool to see the Doc again in that episode. Always liked her character... plus I think she's quite cute ;) :p

I think part of the problem with Carters character going all techie lately is the fact that one person is now missing who usually stopped her... and that of course is O'Neill. We all know how he used to go "Ah ah Carter!!" when she went into excited babble mode. Mitchell doesn't do that at all. I suppose as part of his character they could not have Mitchell take on O'Neill's attitude to the "clever stuff".

[Spoiler] Wow the latest episode of SG1 was a bit of a shocker!!!!!! Can't believe they've taken out the Prometheus!!!! Think thats the first epsiode for a very long time where SGC/Earth has taken real heavy losses. Usually at the last minute they save the day and escape etc... but not this time. And now only the Daedalus is left to defend earth... me thinks they will need to get some Ancient shields installed and working as Asgard ones no longer cut it against an Ori weapon.[/Spoiler]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [Spoiler] yeah that was a bit of a surprise, tho at the same time i saw it coming early on. as soon as they said the plans were incomplete i thought 'yeah your gonna find your ass is gonna get nailed here'. didnt expect the prometheus to get blown away tho.

it does open the door for a new ship however, probably the next Daedalus class off the line.[/Spoiler]
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    [QUOTE]plus I think she's quite cute[/QUOTE]

She is very attractive. I got to meet her at a con once, her and Don Davis. Very nice to her fans too.
    Wow you luck sod! :D Sounds like a nice lady.

I'm just watching a repeat of Atlantis on Sky at the moment, the one about Shepard helping sort out an heir to some Kingdom. And guess who's in it only our favourite Technomage Galen! I wasn't watching the tv when it came on but straight away I heard Peter Woodwards voice. I'm quite surprised no one commented on his appearance!
    They did...on IRC.

Worf
    They being me.

It's freakin' Galen!
    Ah very good then.

Haven't been on the IRC chat for a very long time. Was hardly any one on when I was online ;)
    You need to stay on for more than five minutes ;)

Most of the folks who drop by stay only for a couple of minutes. Almost everyone there has a similar schedule and ends up talking mostly at the same time.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If you want to see what the best time to come is, just check the [url=http://defiant.flyingtemple.com/ircstats/firstones.html]stats[/url]!
    Looks like I might have to dig out irc then ;) Now where did I put it... :p