Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SG1 intro....

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
The new credits sequence for SG-1 looks insanely low-budget...almost like animatics...

I've also noticed that Gekko (RDA's production Co.) is no longer associated with the series (?)

:/

-R.

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    They blew the budget on the Atlantis opening credits.

Worf
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I've been meaning to post about this. It really sucks alright. Absolute minimum effort really and no imagination. Plus I find there's no real consistent format to it apart that sweeping semi SG1 symbol. I was hoping for something on par with Atlantis which I have to say are the best sci fi opening credits I've seen to date (since season 4 of B5 that is). But alas no. Shame, they should have stuck with the format they brought it after Daniel came back.

Gekko not being involved is probably due to Anderson leaving the show as it was part his company.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    the atlantis ones are really cool tho
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    'Cause that's Atlantis...a.k.a. Stargate 2.0 SP1. The other travesty of broadcasting is Stargate 1.5 SP4a. There was an issue when attempting to remove RDA in SP4 which when compounded with the addition of "var maincast=Vala" as a global, broke teh funnay and set property "entertainment_value" to 0.

The lesson here, I guess, is to not mess with stable source unless you've got a backup.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    The only real problem with the SG-1 credits are the crappy CGI stargate that they used to replace the shots of the actual prop. The blends are all just about as good as the Atlantis credits (I like the one where the Al'kesh from the shot of "Heros" flies into the battle scene in "Lost City," though it loses points because it suddenly vanishes. They could've faded it out or something before they ran out of shot to composite in).

But, yeesh, that's a crappy model. And the weird part is, it doesn't it look like any of the other CGI stargates they've used. So, they made a brand-new model for the opening credits... that looks worse than any of its predecessors. There's [i]got[/i] to be a story behind this.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]The lesson here, I guess, is to not mess with stable source unless you've got a backup. [/B][/QUOTE]
    a lesson that someone should teach many programmers i have to deal with...
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    The credits are the least of SG-1's problems. I think they should start looking for new material. The previews for next weeks show look like its another "SG-1 from another dimesion" story. There must be at least 6 or 7 old episodes with the same story. Has the show been running for so long they're recycling old scipts and hoping no one notices? I guess the new script budget went to the new intro.
    better yet, why not just get rid of the Orii? What a horrible bunch they are. Really powerful, and mighty and able to act like ascended evil dudes act, but they're just completely boring. Their ability to convert people defies reason, and the BS about how "belief" in them somehow makes them more powerful is just beyond silly.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    They could always consider, you know, [i]ending[/i] it rather than trying to drag it out forever.
  • I actually thought Ben Browders character was the same one as from Farscape and he somehow made it back through the stargate from the peacekeepers.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PSI-KILLER [/i]
    [B]I actually thought Ben Browders character was the same one as from Farscape and he somehow made it back through the stargate from the peacekeepers. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's another thing. Browder is talented, but it seems like the writers and directors and producers and stuff all decided to make him John Crichton, master of wormholes!
    Probably because they were trying to cash in on Farscape.
    So they cancelled Farscape, pissed off their fans and were forced to revive it as Fargate? :P
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    I don't know why anyone even watches this show, now or ever before.

Though I'll admit to having watched part of an episode before I realized Battlestar wasn't going to be coming for a couple hours. SG1's ability to pair some of the absolute shittiest television I have ever seen with impossibly rare lapses of remarkably decent writing defies all reason. I just do not understand this show.
    Some episodes were bad, but for what it's worth, I found SG-1 to be quite a good show. If you start off on the right foot, you'll like it. if not, then...well...you won't. It seems that most people who watch it are quick to forgive it once they hit major plot points.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    IMO, they should have canned it after they offed the Gouauld...and XFRed the actors that wanted to stay over to Atlantis.

The franchise wreakes of spoiled cabbage this season... and it won't matter who they add to the cast. Knocking out the Gouauld really killed what made the show unique. IMO, the replicators were somewhat of a reach as well.

:/

-R.
    People never used to understand my objection to shows without a set time frame, and preferably a pre-planned beginning, middle and end. Now I have an example to point to.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I get a bit bored when the universe of any show starts getting too over populated, and I don't mean in quantity of one character like a Cylon clone,I mean too many damned races and shit...

B5 had a good balance... Although I favor even less for the most part. A good 3 party dispute works well for me.

:)
    I still think a universe can be just fine and dandy. The show could still be good, but they just have not played on any of the characters'/actors' natural attributes and capabilities.

Plus, the good writers left for Atlantis.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [B]Plus, the good writers left for Atlantis. [/B][/QUOTE]

Most writers do... Look at Randy Littlejohn for instance... :p
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [COLOR=deeppink][SIZE=11]THERMONUCLEAR VORLO-FWAPP!!![/size][/color]

:rolleyes: ;)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [B]'Cause that's Atlantis...a.k.a. Stargate 2.0 SP1. The other travesty of broadcasting is Stargate 1.5 SP4a. There was an issue when attempting to remove RDA in SP4 which when compounded with the addition of "var maincast=Vala" as a global, broke teh funnay and set property "entertainment_value" to 0.[/B][/QUOTE]LOL :D

Starts to feel like they're just trying to "milk dead cow" forever.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    SG1 is starting to feel a bit stretched. I watched the latest on Sky 1 last night, Collateral Damage, and it was dull. Also the latest Atlantis, Epiphany just screamed of the O'Neill episode where he got stranded on another planet and met a girl... Overall Atlantis is currently better than SG1. But they need to be carefull and not do a Star Trek on it and start rehashing old story lines.

I think they should do some overlaps between the 2 shows. With the Daedelus now traveling quickly between Earth and the city they should be able to have the odd cast member show up. Cross overs always worked well in Buffy and Angel. But then it would need to be a well thought out move.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    SG-1 and Atlantis feels really bad now, especially when compared to Battlestar Galactica....
    And even with just the one ZPM, they can still make regular wormhole trips back and forth. It's a freaking zero point module...
  • What bugged me most was that they didn't even bother to try and explain how they got from the last episode of season 8 to the first episode of season 9.

For me the end of season 8 could have been a perfect spot to end the series.

But still the 9th season has been rather entertaining. Atleast the episodes which featured also Claudia Black. I'm bit more keen to SG1 than to Atlantis. And somehow Atlantis feels more "stupid" The end of the first season and the beginning of the second were pretty nice. Towards the end part of second season there has been maybe a few good episodes. And I just hate the Teyla character...

Well Battlestar Galactica starts on the next Friday here.

ps. I just hope they'd do somekind Farscape spoof on the 10th season of SG1.