Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

BSG Mid-Season Finale (spoiler warnings)

2»

Comments

• ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    I started watching the miniseries yesterday morning. Just finished catching up to the last episode.

I am impressed. I have plenty of criticisms for the series and its writing so far. It is by no means perfect. That said, it is quite good, and this is without a doubt the best episode so far.

I spoke with a friend of mine about it, and he mentioned that some felt it was an unsubtle reference to Abu Ghraib. I don't really agree (if you're curious, neither did he), as that is really an unfair oversimplification. Which is, of course, not to say that it does not touch on similar issues of human and inhuman nature.

I've heard people argue that, say, in the case of Abu Ghraib, I could not understand how those soldiers reacted because I did not experience what they did and I had not seen what they had. And this is true, if not offensively disingenuous. The excuse goes something along the lines of 'lash out or go insane,' and my eloquent response is as brief: [i]pussy[/i]. In reality or fiction, I find myself with precious little sympathy for such inhumanity.

That said, however, I do have some misgivings about the episode. I realize this sort of phenomenon in inhumanity is a groupthink thing, but at the same time, it seems like the show is written around maybe 1/10th of 1/% of the Pegasus crew having any misgivings at all which I find a little hard to swallow. For that matter, it strikes me as odd that out of 50,000 people, not one could notice the ironicly inhuman treatment of the cylons, or even at the very least, that no one who wasn't snogging a cylon could have even a visceral reaction at someone at least superficially human recieving such brutal treatment.

But, perhaps the continuation of the conflict will make things less one dimensional. I certainly hope so. This has definitely been the best directed episode so far, and seeing Six on the floor was genuinely disturbing. Guess I have to wait three months like the rest of you bastards.