Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SiL

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
Sleeping in Light was just on Sci Fi again, I'd forgotten what a powerful episode it was. Still brings a tear to my eye when JMS shuts the lights out and the place goes boom.

------------------
..And so it Begins

Comments

• I just finished watching it now too.. listening to the sound track...

there would never be another....
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Canuck:
    [b]I just finished watching it now too.. listening to the sound track...

there would never be another....[/b][/quote]

Its just such a perfect end to the series, How many other series like it kill off 20% of the main characters? Including the shows namesake?
  • actually i had an idea for a show that had a brilliant plot, that would get everyone all excited.... then we kill of the main character in some freak accident adn the show devolves into a clerks like drama.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I [i]STILL[/i] say that deconstruction of falling stars was the better ending. Babylon 5 was a story about hope, in SiL all hope was gone.

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • Venom06Venom06 Earthforce Officer
    [quote]Originally posted by A2597:
    [b]I [i]STILL[/i] say that deconstruction of falling stars was the better ending. Babylon 5 was a story about hope, in SiL all hope was gone.

[/b][/quote]

I agree. That's not to say SiL isn't a great episode...it's just such a downer. Though there's still much to hope for at the end of the show, it's just depressing.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [quote]Originally posted by Venom06:
    [b] I agree. That's not to say SiL isn't a great episode...it's just such a downer. Though there's still much to hope for at the end of the show, it's just depressing.

[/b][/quote]

I think SiL was/is better. It ended the story, it gave the final note, it gave us closure to a series that wouldn't die. While DoFS is more happy, it didn't move me in the way SiL did.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    it takes guts to have a non happily-ever-after end...

espcially in the US.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    What SB said, plus this:
    I think it is a better ending. It doesn't end saying all hope is gone. It ends saying that the hope placed in B5 succeeded and spawned a new hope, producing the ISA. How can there be no hope when the galaxy (that part we know, anyway) is united as it never was before?

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by shadow boxer:
    [b]it takes guts to have a non happily-ever-after end...

espcially in the US.[/b][/quote]

Exactly, There is this feeling in the US that endings have to be happy, and that the goodguy always wins, and thats just not True, JMS took a big chance with US audiences by ending the series like that.

DCoFS was not as bad an episode as people thought, but i don't think it was as good an ending to the series.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    SIL was indeed a very powerful episode indeed. After watching it I felt very empty, like its all over... what now kind of thing. After 5 years it was a bit of a shock, almost like being pulled out of fantasy world back into the really world. I have only seen it twice actually, and it was just as powerfull the second time round as it was the first. And the symbolism of JMS turning out the lights was just pure brilliance. Even though its gone, Babylon 5 endures.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
  • jefcjefc Trainee
    I have only watched SiL once. it was lunchtime New Year's Day 1999. i had only been watching B5 for about a year and was heavily into it and I had no idea the episode that was on was the last one. Anyway, it broke my heart and I'll never watch it again. despite this, I think it was the perfect end to the perfect show.
  • Having the good guy win all the time gets pretty monotonous. Although I felt that SiL was a darn good ending and that the good guys did sort of win.

Now, the Final Fantasy Movie, I bet that didn't go over well at all.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    It’s not about a sad ending or a happy ending, it’s about closure. And hope.

In the end Sheriden succeeded. The universe is in peace. But, like all men, he is a mortal, not a god, and this reminds us of that fact. While I didn’t necessarily buy B5 being a navigation hazard” (“Old Ironsides,” the oldest vessel in active service with the navy, is over 200 years old), but from the standpoint of art, and pulling on every emotion and attachment that was built over the 5 years the series dug into us, it worked. The pain of transition isn’t always brought on by war, but sometimes by mortality of the people and the places that touch our lives.

SiL was bittersweet, and I will always remember it as the finest hour of American Television.

-R.

------------------
    [i]"...Never start a fight...but [b]always[/b] finish it."[/i]
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Rick pretty well sums up what I think.

C'ept they can't but B5 into a huge spacedock and only bring it out every "IA Founding day".
    No, not really. A 5 mile long chunk of spinning metal is difficult to move.

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]It’s not about a sad ending or a happy ending, it’s about closure. And hope.[/b][/quote]

Thank you! I was wondering when someone was going say that...that's exactly what I thought.
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    It was a brilliant and sad ending to Babylon5 station not too the B5 universe in which it showed that no matter how different we are we can still work together to create a better future, but of course as true with real life there are always some that don't conform to this...

------------------
    "When it is time,come to this place,call our name,we will be here"-Walkers of Sigma957
    [url="http://ifh.firstones.com"]I've Found Her-Babylon 5 free game[/url]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Heh...
    Sheridan going bye bye was the highlight of the ep. Fwoosh
    YEAA!! THEY KNOCKED HIM OFF!

Aww man...[i]THATS[/i] where they are ending it?!?

-------
    B5 always had an uplifting feeling to it. More then that, it had the feeling that hope continues.
    SiL,Sad, and has no feeling of hope in the end. It's as if the entire B5 universe just went "Smat" into a windsheild. I'm mean, quite literaly, Voyager had a better ending then b5.At the end of voyager at least it didn't seem as if they killed the entire universe!

IMO, SiL ranks up there with Moby Dick, Romeo and Juliet, and a number of other tragadys.
    (for the record, I [b]HATE[/b] tragadys).

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Bingo !
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]
    In the end Sheriden succeeded. The universe is in peace.[/b][/quote]

Well, at least our wmall piece of the milky way [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
    GREEN
    ARDVARK
    WATERCOOLER
    COFFEE?
  • Whitestar 15Whitestar 15 Earthforce Officer
    Out of the two episodes Deconstruction and Sleeping in Light, i prefer sleeping in light. not to say that deconstruction was a bad episode, i just thought that sleeping in light was the better ending.
  • Adam EvansAdam Evans Earthforce Officer
    Sleeping In The Light is a great ending. But SIL was orginaly suppose to be the 4th season ending show for B5 if they didnt get a 5th season.

------------------
    Babylon 5: Armada II
    www.tgu.org.uk/users/babylon5
    Not quite. It was supposed to be an ending to the whole series. They filmed it at the end of the 4th season because they weren't sure if they'd get the 5th or not. The episode itself is independant of any season, instead relying on the entire series.

------------------

• Whitestar 15Whitestar 15 Earthforce Officer
    I just watched SiL again yesterday and it was still very very sad. I watched Objects at Rest as well and thought that when sheridan says good bye 2 B5 was very sad as well. A very good episode...
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    The saddest part for me was when Sheriden and Delenn parted for the last time.....

------------------
    "When it is time,come to this place,call our name,we will be here"-Walkers of Sigma957
    [url="http://ifh.firstones.com"]I've Found Her-Babylon 5 free game[/url]
  • "We did everything we set out to do. And no-one can take that away from us"

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    I like the shot in Objects at Rest that goes from C&C to the bridge of the Whitestar.

------------------