Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

$25 Per 2-Episode Disc?

BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
That sounds expensive. $US1375 for the entire series. I was hoping for season sets.

------------------
[b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras

Comments

• MungrelMungrel Earthforce Officer
    Why only 2 eps per disc anyway ?
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Thats a bit tight! They'd better not do it that way, It would be stupid, no sense to it, all other stuff of that genre is released in boxsets. Then again, money grabbing makes sense.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
  • It is tight in my opinion, lets hope the region 4 discs have at least 4 episodes per disc. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/cool.gif[/img]

------------------
    Omega X
    AKA Evil Kosh everywhere else

'This journey has ended, another begins... Time to rest.'
    - Lorien, Sleeping In Light

[url="http://welcome.to/b5"]Babylon 5 Command & Control[/url]
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    Let's not jump to conclusions...that's the way Columbia House will be offering the discs. While it's not likely that there will be two different discs (one for CH and one for retail), it's a possibility.

Columbia House always sells TV series like that.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    WHAT! They'd better not sell B5 that way, I'm paying less for my drivers' license for chrissakes...

I reserved 800USD for the whole series, no way am I paying over a thousand bucks. Ok, I'm saying this now... let's see later on. And of course if I happen to win the lottery...

------------------
    Life is full of surprises. The ones reserved for me usually come wearing brass knuckles.
  • Well... Maybe they'll offer both the loose DVDs and boxed editions. There is a precedent for it.

Robotech, Monty Python, The Prisoner, the Stanley Kubrick Collection.

Usually when they do it that way, the loose ones just have ancillary items on the disc itself, but when they offer boxed sets, they usually have a bonus disc or two...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Boxed sets would make much more sense in my opinion. People would be more likely to purchase boxed sets than single discs im my opinion because boxed sets are easier to handle.

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • FFS.
    In NZ, that's how much it costs me to attend university for a year.
    Who are they expecting to buy this?
    [quote][b]FFS.
    In NZ, that's how much it costs me to attend university for a year.
    Who are they expecting to buy this?
    [/b][/quote]

Whoah, calm down.

Don't jump to conclusions. The $25 per disc is the COLUMBIA HOUSE PRICE. All of their TV series DVD are priced like that. Columbia House uses a subscription service, so you get one DVD per month.

Most likely, a season-by-season box set of B5 DVDs will be considerably less.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 03-13-2002).]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    DVDs are still expensive in England, most new releases are £20-25, which is roughly $35-40. They even sold 3 episode Southpark DVDs for that price at one point. If that is how it will be, then I guess il just have to give them a miss until a few years after they are released when they are cheaper. I dont mind paying £80 (Buffy DVD price) for a season box season box set but £220 per season is way too much, especially when I could buy most of the series on video for that.

Worf

------------------
    Captain Gideon: I thought you said you dont hold a grudge?
    Galen: I dont, I have no surviving enemies...at all

Ave Primo-Populi (Hail the Firstones)
    What university do you attend, Warble?

Sam: Why would WB go to all the trouble of producing a separate version for Columbia Whatsit?

------------------

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]What university do you attend, Warble?

Sam: Why would WB go to all the trouble of producing a separate version for Columbia Whatsit?

[/b][/quote]

As a great american patriot once said, "Give me Box Sets, or Give me Death"

------------------
    ..And so it Begins

[/b][/quote]

It really depends on how much Colubia House wants the DVDs. Columbia House might pay authoring fees for dual-episode discs.

Columbia House usually puts their own video ads on VHS tapes...I'm pretty sure they would do the same with DVDs.

It's also possible that WB supplies Columbia House with the digital episodes, and CH creates their own DVDs. Since they add their own "bumper" ads, they must have SOME amount of DVD authoring capability.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 03-14-2002).]
    Ah I see. So what they're offering would not be what WB would officially offer through it's normal channels, thus allowing them to produce a season box set. That's good. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------

• [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:

[/b][/quote]

I'm at AUT, taking business management

You're at auck uni arn't you?
  • Venom06Venom06 Earthforce Officer
    Not a boxed set=Me not buying it
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    [quote]Originally posted by WORF:
    [b]DVDs are still expensive in England[/quote]
    I know. I decided not to get a dvd player for the forseeable future for that reason. Amazon.co.uk were offering the B5 gatherin/ItB for a total of about £39 ($54) - as a special offer for pre-ordering!
    [quote]
    £220 per season is way too much, especially when I could buy most of the series on video for that.

Worf
    [/b][/quote]
    I bought every B5 episode on video (except sic transit vir - they changed the airing order for different production runs or something), 3/4 of them new, for a total of £138 ($193).
    [quote]Originally posted by Warble:
    [b] I'm at AUT, taking business management

You're at auck uni arn't you?[/b][/quote]

Yep.

------------------

• Drazi GuyDrazi Guy Elite Ranger
    I paid 17.99 CND for the currently released DVD. I would not pay mor than 150 for a season though... thats about 15 cents a minute. Average DVD costs around 25 bucks here, and are about 2 hours... so about 21 cents a minute.

If the episodes came with commentaries, or extras like the TV spots for each episode, some interviews with stars, anything really, I would pay about 200 bucks per season.

But in no way will I buy them seperately.. too much bloody hassle to go and hunt them all down, or two expensive to order them through the mail.

I hope they realize the right thing to do is to release as a boxed set and leave Columbia House in the dust... I hate mail order clubs anyways. Jeez, we are still getting half a dozen CD's mailed to us every month from whatever clubs exist up here. They just won't take no for an answer.
    The average CD costs $NZ40 here (that's about $US17.46 at the current exchange rate). $US25 a disc is getting up to close to $NZ60, which is quite a bit more.

------------------

• Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    All I can say is, if they don't bring the prices down considerably, I'll just tape the shows off the air and find someone with a DVD-RAM and have him burn the entire series for me. I will not pay THAT much for a TV series. No matter what show it is, including Farscape. (and you know how much of a Farscape fanatic I am)

------------------
    [url="http://www.3dap.com/hlp"][b]Hard Light Productions[/b][/url] - [i]Our last best hope for Freespace[/i]

"Isn't the universe a wonderful place? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Love to stay! Can't! Have to go. Kiss kiss, love love! Bye!" - G'Kar
  • [quote]Originally posted by Vertigo1:
    [b] (and you know how much of a Farscape fanatic I am)

[/b][/quote]

One more day! One more day! Or, wait...do you get Sci-Fi up there?
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [b]That sounds expensive. $US1375 for the entire series. I was hoping for season sets.
    [/b][/quote]

Personally, I am hoping for better video/transfer quality than with that "In the Beginning," "The Gathering" DVD.
    [i]In The Beginning[/i] didn't have that bad a transfer. The camera was a little wobbly, but the quality was pretty good. [i]The Gathering[/i] was pretty bad, but I expect that was from film degradation.

------------------

• Drazi GuyDrazi Guy Elite Ranger
    Transfers were as good as you can get with TV stock I think. Anyone here get the Larry Sanders Show on DVD? That one is shot on the TV stock I think... looks about the same as the In the Beginning.

------------------
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them.
    One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [b][i]In The Beginning[/i] didn't have that bad a transfer. The camera was a little wobbly, but the quality was pretty good. [i]The Gathering[/i] was pretty bad, but I expect that was from film degradation.[/b][/quote]

In the Beginning was most definitely not "pretty good." Perhaps my visual acuity is higher than average (which I doubt), but there was very noticable video noise from the transfer process and dirt/hair from the original film. Just to be certain it wasn't my set-up, I popped in a Fifth Element DVD. It's the B5 DVD that's just so noticably worse than everything I've seen before on DVD...bad enough that I didn't bother watching much of The Gathering.
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Drazi Guy:
    [b]Transfers were as good as you can get with TV stock I think. Anyone here get the Larry Sanders Show on DVD? That one is shot on the TV stock I think... looks about the same as the In the Beginning.[/b][/quote]

Was Farscape shot on TV stock, too? From what I saw, that transfer was what I'd expect from a DVD. Plus, without any extras, I'm not likely to buy any additional B5 DVDs unless the transfer quality improves considerably.
    [quote]Originally posted by JohnD:
    [b][snip]
    Perhaps my visual acuity is higher than average (which I doubt)
    [snip][/b][/quote]

Just so you know, my sight is excellent. Anyway, I really didn't think it was that bad. Sure, it's not as good as movies are, but it was shot on lower quality film and no doubt WB didn't treat it perfectly. Remember how rats had eaten one (or more) reels of their B5 film?

------------------