Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Bsg...

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
....just gets better with every episode. "You can't go home again" was no exception.

I was laughung and cheering when the raider flipped over, revealing Kara's grafitti, and found it hard not to get all choked up at Adama's closing conversation with her.

The CGI crew even played the scene well with the playful "wing-wave" between lee and Kara. I gave up a little grin at that.

I can honestly say that compelling SciFi that's worth the airtime is finally back.

Someone finally gets that it's about the drama, not T&A and CGI. I just hope that it lasts...it's not that often that a show is this good out of the launch tube.

-R.

Comments

• Just wait Rick...plenty of T&A still;-)
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    ...I know, but it isn't the primary attraction of the story, just an element in it. IMO, making the cylons "engineered biologicals" was a stroke of genius for the franchise.
  • I tend to agree with you!
    Red:

See my post in the other thread regarding BSG on DVD. Short version: You can get it on amazon.
    :)
    -R.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I couldn't agree more with you Rick.

Finally we get some quality scifi and not just typical half assed cheap crap with fancy FX and lousy story, drama and acting. This is definitely some of the best scifi ever created and as I've said in another thread already, I hope this show will last for a long time.

The original series was my all time favourite scifi show since I saw it a long time ago during its first run as a kid. It was just awesome back then when no-one had ever done anything like that before. I still remember how fascinating it was to watch it. It's what made me a scifi fan for life. :)

And I have to say, that I'm really happy that this new series was not just a lousy attempt to recreate the legendary old show, which I was afraid of earlier, but an excellent new kind of quality show done with a good taste and style and which is also respectful enough towards the original BSG. Now I just can't wait to see more of the new BSG and that's how the TV-shows should all be like!

Does anybody have any idea of their schedule btw? When will we see new episodes?

- PJH
    Unless I'm horrifically mistaken, I believe that SciFi's new seasons begin in either January or June (depending on the show, I know Atlantis and SG1 Season's started last June).

On a mor (humorous) note...apparently Kara is still controvercial with some of the more diehard BSG:TOS fans...

One of them, on the SciFi thread, said "as her ship was burning, all I could think of was ' DIE, B****! DIE!'"

All Icould think of, as I read this, was "I think the same thing whenever someone shoots at Andromeda."

;)

Talk about a show that is (a) confusing as hell, and (b) lacks any kind of cohesive vision.

Whatever happened to teir? He was the only interesting character in the bunch. And when did Blue-girl turn orange?

-R.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Talk about a show that is (a) confusing as hell, and (b) lacks any kind of cohesive vision. Whatever happened to teir? He was the only interesting character in the bunch. And when did Blue-girl turn orange?[/B][/QUOTE]

a) Yes
    b) Yes

As to the other questions, that would take longer than I have before it's time to hit the hay. Next time I speak to you, remember to ask what happened to those two characters.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I think we have to thank Sky at least in part for the quality of the show.
    Who knows what SciFi would have done with it if they had full control over it...
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I think we are watching a masterpiece being born. I just hope they don't screw it up over time. If this show can keep doing really well and never be butchered up by the networks it will be a clear indication to all networks that quality will prevail over fast and easy ratings tactics. My main worry with this show is that it does too well and it gets milked for too long. I really hope they take a more JMS approach were the story is clearly going somewhere and when its over, its over.
    I could be wrong, but I believe SkyOne is a sibling company to SciFi under NBC-Universal's international division, so, in reality, NBC-Universal "helped themselves..."

As for SciFi screwing something up, what have they screwed up? They gave JMS a fair shot with LOTR (not their fault that it tanked), SG1 and SG:A seem to be doing well.

IMO, the only SciFi "WTF??!!!??" is Andromeda. I don't understand why they gave that show a lifeline at all.

I actually give them Kudos for the (sometimes cheesey) SciFi original films, because they at least let people flex their wings (even though they crash 98% of hte time...).

-R.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]As for SciFi screwing something up, what have they screwed up?[/B][/QUOTE]

It starts with 'F'.
    I heard that there was more to that story than was public, but it was never verified.

As is often the case, the faces you see on the screen don't always get along as well when the cameras are not rolling. I can say that one from experience.

-R.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    From what I heard the case with that one was more a matter of lots of money going in, not so much coming out.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    Sci-Fi didn't really screw up with Farscape. They didn't own the rights to the show (Henson's production company owned them), so Sci-Fi had no way to reap the financial benefits of the show (syndication, merchandising, etc.).

And Farscape was a very expensive show to produce.
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [B]
    IMO, the only SciFi "WTF??!!!??" is Andromeda. I don't understand why they gave that show a lifeline at all.

I actually give them Kudos for the (sometimes cheesey) SciFi original films, because they at least let people flex their wings (even though they crash 98% of hte time...).

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]

Andromeda started to go downhill when the original writer left the show. It did very well for the first two seasons and has a dedicated following (though not as big now). It's kind of like Star Trek where B/B screwed everything up. ;) Plus, it doesn't help when one of the main characters (Lexa Doig playing Andromeda/Rommie) is out for almost the entire season due to having a child.

I bet if the Sci Fi Channel threw as much money and time at Andromeda as they do at Battlestar Galactica, the whole series would turn around.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Striker [/i]
    [B]I bet if the Sci Fi Channel threw as much money and time at Andromeda as they do at Battlestar Galactica, the whole series would turn around. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Good writing doesn't necessarily cost more than bad writing, and the effects in the world won't turn bad writing into good ;)

About BSG and SciFi: I've got the feeling that they let them a bit off the leash with this season, though it may also be because they trusted them to deliver the ratings after the miniseries, not because they weren't the sole investor....
    (though there is the old saying "Always trust a TV Executive to ruin a perfectly good series"...).
    And dear Bonnie changed the Theme to a less effective version for the SciFi broadcast... (The NBC rebroadcast will have the original theme (as aired on the UK), as far as i know)
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    The big problem with Andromeda is that it is lacking consistency between episodes, it could have been okay actually...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Talk about a show that is (a) confusing as hell, and (b) lacks any kind of cohesive vision.

Whatever happened to teir? He was the only interesting character in the bunch. And when did Blue-girl turn orange?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Trance was purple, not blue.

Andromeda started out as a very good show in it's first season. It's first season finale was the best I've seen since TNG's "Best of Both Worlds".

However, things started falling apart after that, as the writers were fired one after another. It went into a terminal tailspin after Executive Producer Robert Hewitt Wolfe was forced out in the middle of season two. (This was the point that Trance changed from purple to gold.)

And then they hired Bob Engels to run the show in season three, and things really went to hell. I gave up on the show at this point.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]... (The NBC rebroadcast will have the original theme (as aired on the UK), as far as i know) [/B][/QUOTE]

NBC Rebroadcast?

Did I miss something?

???

-R.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]Good writing doesn't necessarily cost more than bad writing, and the effects in the world won't turn bad writing into good ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I know that. If the Sci Fi Channel threw as much money and time though at Andromeda (while rehiring all the people that were fired), the show would take off again. The budget for Season 5 was slashed considerably which caused a lot of problems for the production crew. As it is, they have barely a week each to create each episode.

As Soton pointed out, they kept firing off every good writer that was there. Andromeda went the way of Crusade. The network who was paying for the show at the time felt that the storyline was too complex and that the audience wouldn't understand the overall story arc. So, they opted to sort of "compartmentalize" each show and make it "easier to understand". Of course, this made most of the fans angry because that was one of the great things that made Andromeda a great show.
    NBC (parent company of the Sci-Fi Channel) aired the pilot to Battlestar Galactica a few weeks ago on Saturday night to help generate an interest for the show.
    [B]NBC Rebroadcast?

Did I miss something?

???

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]
    As far as i know (though i might be wrong here... read it on another board) NBC will re-broadcast the 1st season after SciFi has shown it.
  • Anyone know when I missed most of them.
    Moore's BLOG

I was just reading through Moore's BSG BLOG over on SciFi, and found some of his Q&A's from January entertaining:

[quote]"What made you decide to show glimpses of the current episode at the end of the opening credits? Oh, and could you please stop doing that? (:"

[i]This is a trick that "Space: 1999" used to do and I proudly stole it from them. And, no, I won't. Nice try, though.[/i]

"I'll second the question - why is it that the paper in the Galactica universe has the corners cut off, even the tractor fed printer sheets! i just want to know."

[i]This is a closely guarded secret of the show and certainly not a wacky design element that someone came up with during the miniseries.[/i][/quote]

And my favorite:

[quote]"Does James Callis' uncanny resemblance to Alexander Siddig in almost every way ever freak you out?"

[i]Not until someone on these boards mentioned it, now I'm totally freaked.[/i][/quote]

:)

-R.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    When I first saw the miniseries, I thought it was Alexander Siddig for a moment.

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]When I first saw the miniseries, I thought it was Alexander Siddig for a moment. [/B][/QUOTE]
    They do look a bit similar, but Alexander Siggid has a much darker skintone, and is a bit older :)
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Grrr... I wish we could get the Sci-Fi Channel here at Camp Buerhing (we've got satellite TV, but it's some Middle Eastern provider that has a weird lineup for most of its' American programming). Oh well... I can always watch the re-runs (or get the DVDs when they come out).
  • Gods I love this show!!

Hey Squid, send me your APO/FPO and I'll send you the season on DVD if you like.

I'd be happy to do that for you....:)

send me an email to [email]partspmp@aol.com[/email] with the info if you want me to send them to you.
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Cool... I'll be getting a notebook computer pretty soon (the BX here does sell portable DVD players, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna watch anything on a lousy 6" screen; besides, I'm starting to miss PC gaming:( ).