Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A quote from KOSH

I remember that KOSH was once asked about why he always wore the encounter suit.

He said something like if you saw me then you would KNOW. (it was like they would know who he was or who he represented).

Does anyone remember the exact words. The question? The answer?

It is important.

Thanks.

QUERY

Comments

• RandyRandy Master Storyteller
    I suppose that it's possible that this could still be a spoiler...
    I don't remember the actual words, and my memory of these things is getting dusty, but the idea behind it (as I understand it) is that the ethereal form of the First Ones is beyond the comprehension of the younger races, and so when they see a First One outside of an encounter suit, each species tends to see, in this form, a god-like representation of themselves. Thus religions are created. What one would 'know' (or discover) is that the First Ones have been using this phenomenon to their benefit by indoctrinating the younger races with their philosophy for eons. Not all races are effected in this way. Wasn’t it the Centauri who see nothing?

Anyone else with a better memory?
  • Thats pretty much spot on, and no Londo didn't see anything when Kosh revieled himself.

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan

"To alcohol the solution to and cause of all of life's problems."
    -Homer Jay Simpson
  • I thought he only said
    "I would be recognised"
    "by who?"
    "by everyone"

and then later delenn and kosh explained why sometime else
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Randy hit it right on the nose. Because they are beings of pure energy, they appear like gods to younger races (ie beings of matter).

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • spoiler

An addition to Randy's post:
    As I remember, the Vorlons actively project their god-like images into the minds of the younger races *on purpose*.
    This projection is exhausting for the Vorlons, that's why they wear encounter suits.

Londo as a Centauri cannot see this, because he "is not for them", which means that the Centauri are the puppets of the Shadows, not the Vorlons. Kosh is not allowed to play with Londo's mind because of this agreement with the shadows.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I thought it was due to genetic engineering, as the vorlons saw themselves as 'emissaries from the universe', or angels or something, they programmed the younger races (the ones they could touch, and mold into psykers) to see them that way.

------------------
    GREEN
    ARDVARK
    WATERCOOLER
    COFFEE?
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    I think that Londo just reacted the way which came naturally. I mean, if I had six cocks and some shady little fellow in a brown overcoat would just reveal himself and run away, I'd probably just laugh or ignore him.

------------------
    Life is full of surprises. The ones reserved for me usually come wearing brass knuckles.
  • AlexAlex Earthforce Officer
    It has been sayed that the Vorlons genetically programmed the younger races to see what they should see when looking at a Vorlon.
    Kosh also sayed that it has been exhausting to bee seen by so many, so it also seems to be telepthically projected.

It looks like it's a combination of Genetiall modification and Telepathy.
    One thing is for sure: they are doing it on purpose.

In 'Falling Toward Apotheosis' we've seen how they realy look like.

JMS confirmed this:

Question:Have we seen a Vorlon's true appearance?
    JMS: That's pretty much what they look like.
    Q:Why didn't Kosh project an illusion?
    JMS:Because it takes concentration to pull it off, and Kosh2 was kinda distracted....

(JMS Quotes taken from the Lurkers Guide)

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 03-21-2002).]
  • QUERYQUERY Trainee
    My recollection most closely resembles:

=====
    LightNZ
    Member posted 03-21-2002 04:29 AM
    ------------------------
    I thought he only said
    "I would be recognised"
    "by who?"
    "by everyone"
    =======

Thanks LightNZ,
    If you remember more, I would appreciate it.

Question - What is meant by "spoiler". Is that referring to the question or the questioner.

Thank you all for your time.

QUERY
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Didn't Londo see something instead of nothing in one of the books?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    In one of the Peter David Centauri novels he was reminising about Vorlons and such and elaborated on his "I saw nothing" statement.

SPOILER

He said that he did in fact see something, but was simply a shapeless blob of light. It kinda anwsered my questions about what he thought after Sheridan suddenly slowed down his free-fall and landed smoothly on the ground without any outside assistance.