Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

JMS - Something in TV - Insanely Successful

JMS: Pending contractual negotiations and formal pickup by the networks involved, I've been offered two different series, so we'll see which goes first. They could both be very cool to work on, but one of them could be insanely successful. I should know more about this situation in late October. (Neither is Trek-related, just to nip any potential rumors in the bud.)

Lucas: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.

Comments

• Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    interersting connection there.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I wouldn't mind seeing what JMS could do with it...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    oh
    my
    GOD
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Interesting :)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I actually had that connection thought too today, though not as "researched"... I was browsing fireflyfans.net and there was a discussion how cool it would be if Joss Whedon would do the Star Wars TV Show. That made me think that it would be more probable that Lucas would go to jms, as he has more experience on running a sfx heavy SciFi show, and pioneered the CGI in TV thing...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Very interesting indeed... aslong at Lucas says to JMS "here's Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound... knock yourself out" and doesn't demand that he writes alot for the new venture. Hopefully Indy 4 will keep him busy. Obviously JMS would be brought on board for his writing, but Lucas would probably like a stab at it aswell.
    From what he said in recent Interviews, Lucas seems to want to move on. Obviously he'll want to have a little input in what's going on, but it seems like it'll be along the lines of the books and comics..
  • Now what I'd like to know is has Lucas ever posted his thoughts on Babylon 5 the show? I'd like to know what he said as this would substantiate whether of not he would choose JMS for his TV show.
    [quote] from [url=http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-15182]jmsnews[/url]
    [b]
    I was at the Emmys tonight for the presentation of the B5 Emmy, and
    in the visual efx area, more than one shoe can get an Emmy. So we got one,
    DS9's pilot got one, and Lucas' Young Indy show got one. (We sat at the
    next table to Lucas and his bunch, in fact, and noted that he watched the
    B5 footage with considerable interest.) So when you come right down to it,
    here we were, our first shot out of the box, and we ended up on the same
    level of appreciation as Trek and Lucas. Not too dusty....

jms
    [/b]
    [/quote]
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hardly relevant, as that was written eleven years ago.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If George Lucas was impressed with the footage he saw, I think he would remember, especially if he decided to follow the show.

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]If George Lucas was impressed with the footage he saw, I think he would remember, especially if he decided to follow the show.

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

Lucas never said he was impressed. JMS just said that he noticed that Lucas watched with "considerable interest". Big difference; and it was 11 years ago.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Sam, the eternel pessimist. Maybe Lucas has a long memory.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]Hardly relevant, as that was written eleven years ago. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry, but in the context of this thread it IS relevant.
    shakiroz asked, if someone knew what George Lucas thought of B5, and that was the closest thing to that. If you know anything better, i'd say post it.

As to "eleven years old"... that was when B5 was revolutioniary. So if anyone had thoughts other than "another SciFi show", it would have been then.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Sam, the eternel pessimist. Maybe Lucas has a long memory. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]I'm sorry, but in the context of this thread it IS relevant.
    shakiroz asked, if someone knew what George Lucas thought of B5, and that was the closest thing to that. If you know anything better, i'd say post it.[/b][/quote]

That's what I'm talking about. The quote you cited was JMS' observation of Lucas' watching a 30 second clip (at most) of B5 during the Emmy Awards. It says nothing about what Lucas thought of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas liked it a lot, however JMS' observations of Lucas watching a short clip of the show doesn't quite cut it.

[b][quote]As to "eleven years old"... that was when B5 was revolutioniary. So if anyone had thoughts other than "another SciFi show", it would have been then. [/B][/QUOTE]

B5 is still revolutionary. But that's neither here nor there.
    B5 is still revolutionary for it's time. You have to see it in that context, as we all do. But many shows have caught on with the effects, and the storytelling. The one point where B5 still is better than most of the shows is the behind the scenes production. It still isn't frequent that shows have the scripts (I'm not even talking final filming versions) ready before the directors should start preproduction.

Yeah, it's just an observation by jms. But it's the best thing we have... I do agree that Lucas probably liked what he saw, as B5's effects were probably as revolutionary for TV as many of the stuff ILM did for Movies (well, probably not as revolutionary as the motion control camera, but still)
    I found [URL=http://www.iesb.net/tv/tvt92804.htm]this[/URL] , no JMS mention though :(

Worf
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Ahh, but Kevin Smith is which is cool...

...though I'm not sure how excited I'd be to see Jay and Silent Bob in the SW universe...

Jake
    I can picture them in a cantina somewhere.

Worf
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [quote]>The only person I think could do it - I mean, really do it - would be J.
    >Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Jerimiah) he is the only person with TV
    >Experience that I can think of who could pull it off and get the scale of
    >it.
    >

I think it'd be a great idea, it would certainly be the job of a lifetime...I
    just don't think the friendly folks at ILM know me well enough to think of me
    for this. But if anybody over there reading this wants to put in a good word,
    feel free.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
    permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
    and don't send me story ideas)[/quote]
    now, here's something that i read elsewhere, that i found interesting.... i don't necessarily believe it, but it's interesting none the less:

a) that's not really a denial, is it?

b) ILM's not responsible for hiring a EP, but LFL... might be a simple typo, but still... That could be a hint that he is under a NDA..