Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

holograph DVD box art, Gathering, site info

I still haven't grabbed me seasons 4 & 5. I was looking at eBay for what's up there, and notice there seems to be 3 versions of season 5. One is the Asian version which I don't want, another is region 1 with the gold hue picture on the box, and the 3rd is same region 1 but the box shows color like a hologram.

I don't want to grab any junky knockoffs or whatever.
Is the colored holographic box the one to get, or the goldie version?

I am in USA and want orig A+ quality widescreen set. I got 1- 3 plus the 2 movie combo. I got mine through DeepDiscount DVD, Barns & Noble, and I forget - as per the 3 seasons I got.

------

Next, I noticed Best Buy had a CHEAP price on "The Gathering" on DVD, all by itself. The write up claimed it was an unedited version, meaning not changed later to whatever version is out there now I guess. So is there different versions of this pilot around. I see this one at BB, the one I got paired with "In the Beginning", and the latest one with all 5 movies.

I also find it annoying I bought the duo just to find the same two released with the other 3 movies. If those are indeed exactly the same versions in the twin pack as the 5 pack, I feel ripped off, since I got to get those 2 again just to get the 3 I don't have.

------

3rd, I tried to come here yesterday, and got some page saying you used up your allotment (bandwidth I guess) or didn't pay up BS. Saw it once before not too long ago.
You going to be sticking around?

-------------------------------

Thanks for any info on the DVD's you can provide me with.

Comments

• PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    I can help a bit with the second and third questions:

I believe the box set of the five movies will include commentary and extras pertaining to In The Beginning and The Gathering that were not in the double set. The going theory is that it was worth getting the double because enough sold to justify releasing the set of five. I hear that the R2 version isn't including In The Beginning and The Gathering, so if you can import and play multi-region there will be that option *shrugs*

As to the bandwidth thing, it's been a recent problem. Biggles and Sanfam (and Striker) can probably give more details, or you can visit the firstones IRC channel if your really curious as to the site's current state. (irc.boshaus.dyndns.org, #firstones) Suffice to say it isn't an indication of death throws and will (hopefully) soon be cleared up :)

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B](irc.boshaus.dyndns.org, #firstones)[/B][/QUOTE]

That's just boshaus.dyndns.org, no irc. at the front.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Serves me right for not checking :o

• Probably the R2 would cost me as much as the R1 5 set of movies, so I guess I got to get the 5 pack. But if the 2 movies are the same (version wise - no extra scenes or changes from the 2-pack) then I don't need that one I got, unless it has this stuff (pilot unedited whatever) the single of "The Gathering" at Best Buy is supposed to have.
    I like having the longest versions possible, usually the director's cut or unedited versions. I got both Galatica versions (no not counting the recent remake). 1st TV showing had more scenes than vcr/theatre version.

I was looking at my three (seasons 1-3) box art, and noticed they all are holographic sort of, but with one main color hue.
    Yet on those eBay auctions for season 5, you can clearly see some show either a similar gold hue (probably holographic too) and some with full color (definately holographic). My concern is these are different from each other, OTHER than the box coloring.
    There must be some reason season 5 shows 2 boxes (not counting the asian version).

I might have to scope out what the Best Buy and others have in the store. Not to buy, just look at - $79 usa, yeah right.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]I don't want to grab any junky knockoffs or whatever.
    Is the colored holographic box the one to get, or the goldie version?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they're one in the same. The shiny coating on the box can sometimes appear multicolored if seen in the right lighting.
  • My other 3 sets did something when you tilted them, but nothing like full color. I am going to check out the local shops that actually carry it and see.

Here's examples of what I am seeing via eBay:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6312998533&rd=1[/url]

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6313717440&rd=1[/url]

Again, thanks for the input.
    That coloured one is weird...I've never seen a copy like that (and as Worf knows, I've seen a good number of season 5 dvd cases...darn scratched DVDs...). My suspicion would be that the picture was taken under the lighting of a multi-coloured disco globe :p

• BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Agreed; that's the same exact set, but with different lighting.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The guy probably had a polarizer on the camera when taking that photo. It could do something like that.
  • Didn't get out far enough (I live in boonies) but I didn't see any B5 dvd's in the store (Meijers).

I did go for this one.......
    [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6313891008&rd=1[/url]

Still looking on season 4 and the 5 movie pack.
    Then it's Crusade and LOTR I guess.

When I get this season 5, I will try to recreate the colored view of that photo with all the colors.
  • More info.
    Here in the USA a shop online called outpost.com (Fry's is their brick and mortar shops).
    They got all the dvds on sale right now........

[url]http://www.outpost.com/entry?search=3475693+3555504+3679715+3893997+3943018[/url]

Don't "export" so it says.

Probably grab season 4 there unless I spot something on eBay I trust to go for. I am more likely to risk season 5 there, but not the best, #4.

EDIT: seems this comes up 79.99 in the cart. Talk of possible REBATE but no link to it if it's there. Got to call them in the morning about.

----

Anyhow, I read the description of the 5 movie pack (pre-order) and here's what it says about the "Gathering"........

"This two-part pilot episode for Babylon 5 was originally telecast as a single two-hour TV movie on February 22, 1993 (the "official" release date of March 8 refers to the film's Chicago TV premiere). Like the subsequent series, "The Gathering" takes place in the 23rd century, and was set on Babylon 5, a space station hovering in neutral territory which is used as a center of trade and diplomacy for a wide variety of friendly and hostile planets. As the space station becomes fully operational, the crew must deal with the attempting poisoning of Vorlan ambassador Kosh Naranek, for which B5 commander Jeffrey Sinclair is being held responsible. Complicating matters is the refusal of the Vorlans to allow any medical treatment for their ambassador. Written by series producer-creator J. Michael Straczynski, "The Gathering" features several actors who were supposed to have played recurring characters, but for various reasons were written out of the weekly version: Tamlyn Tomita as Lt. Cmdr. Laurel Takamisha, Blaire Baron as Caroline Sykes, Johnny Sekka as Dr. Benjamin Kyle and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander. The pilot won an Emmy Award for special effects, and a Hugo nomation for "Best Dramatic Presentation" -- this in spite of almost universal damnation from mainstream TV critics. [b]On January 4, 1998, the TNT cable network offered a re-edited version of "The Gathering", with a new musical score by Christopher Frake (replacing the one composed by Stewart Copeland), a handful of new computer-generated special effects, a number of judicious cuts, and several previously excised sequences, including a lengthy hostage-crisis subplot. [/b]

~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide"

Now I wonder what version is on that 2 movie DVD we all got earlier, this one (unedited), or that TNT one they mentioned.

But this sounds like that single DVD of The Gathering is the same as in the 5 pack.

Anyhow, if any of you are in the USA and haven't got all your seasons yet, and don't want to gamble on eBay or wait for a sale/coupon deal, this outpost deal may suit you.

BTW, I got the TNT version on svhs video tape. So I can compare the two at least.
    The only version that has been released on DVD is the TNT special edition. I believe the laser disc version is the original, but I haven't actually seen it to check. There should also be VHS tapes of the original out there somewhere.

I was lucky enough to catch the original when it first aired (of course, I was in sixth grade at the time...), and the differences between the special edition and my memory of the original broadcast are substantial. For instance, G'Kar mentioned having discussed his "purchase of genetic material" from Lyta with his wife (or maybe "mate" was the term used); the music was also completely different.

Anyway, by all accounts, the TNT special edition is better. I still wish I could get my hands on a copy of the original, though, just to go back and see what all the differences are.

As for the box sets, I think you'll find the best prices at [url]http://www.northamericandvd.com[/url]. I bought at least a couple of the season sets from them, never had any trouble.

Otherwise, if you want to support FirstOnes, check out the appropriate thread in the Zocalo and hit the links there to buy from Amazon.
  • That Outpost deal is dead.
    Then jerks HAD the sale price on the item page, but when added to cart the price had been changed back to it's original price.
    It was definately NOT a week sale, more like a day sale. I got the link to it from fatwallet.com in the hot deals section. I get a round up email dailey from them, but the posts on it are one day old by the time I read it, unless I am at the forums and see it posted there.

I called Outpost and got some guy barely speaking english (what a surprise), and basically said I should call while the price is still showing the sale price (today the 54.99 is off the item page - not just back when placed in cart). Duh, it was late last night, nobody would be there to answer unless they got 24 hour service via phone. No where on the site they give the hours except for the in-store Fry's.

So screw'em.

Hmmm NA DVD looks decent. Thanks.

Been watching Amamzon as they got coupons now and then for them.
  • Got Season 5 in today.
    I could not replicate the multi-color at same time view, but when twisting the angles I got different colors.
    Like one angle gave me a greenish hue, and another move got some red coming in. Etc.

The colors look like they are in it, just can't see them like it looks in that auction pic.
  • SamsomaelSamsomael Earthforce Officer
    Bekenn Wrote:

[QUOTE] For instance, G'Kar mentioned having discussed his "purchase of genetic material" from Lyta with his wife (or maybe "mate" was the term used); the music was also completely different.[/QUOTE]

I have a copy of The Gathering on VHS and the music in the original was very different from the TNT version. I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure that CF didn't do the original music for the pilot (It doesn't sound anything like the rest of the series, the end credit music almost sounded like something from Miami Vice).

If memory serves almost a quarter or more of the movie was different due to editing changes, eg the "dust bust" scene at the beginning when Lyta comes aboard and Sinclair takes on the dust smuggler was not in the original pilot.

I did see somewhere in these forums a posting that had an email address to a site that listed the differences between the two versions of the pilot.
    The music in the original broadcast version of the The Gathering was done by someone else. I can't remember his name, but he did the music for Crusade as well. He has a very different style from CF. :)
    'Twas Stewart Copeland, and involved electric guitars. That's about all I remember of the original music.
    Are you sure? I'm sure the name was semi-asian sounding.
    Music for A Call to Arms was Evan Chan, Stewart Copelend did the original music for The Gathering. (thanks to Lurker's Guide :D )
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Samsomael [/i]
    [B]Music for A Call to Arms was Evan Chan, Stewart Copelend did the original music for The Gathering. (thanks to Lurker's Guide :D ) [/B][/QUOTE]

Evan Ch[b]e[/b]n.
    Oops, and those letters are so close together :)
  • cornholio1980cornholio1980 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]I still wish I could get my hands on a copy of the original, though, just to go back and see what all the differences are.[/B][/QUOTE] If you got a multi-region DVD-player, it's pretty easy to pick up a copy of the old version on DVD: Buy the German Release:
    [url]http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007JWKK/qid%3D1092999460/028-4115128-4193366[/url]

Don't let yourself get fooled by the weird cover, btw... that's definitely "The Gathering"...

FAITH MANAGES
    cornholio1980
    You're certain it's the old version? And it has the English audio track?
  • cornholio1980cornholio1980 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]You're certain it's the old version? And it has the English audio track? [/B][/QUOTE] It's definitely the old version, since the Special Edition has not yet been released in Germany, since that would have required major re-dubbing-work because of all the new scenes etc... and until now, Warner Germany unfortunately wasn't willing to pay for that.

Concerning the englisch audio track: I didn't yet buy the old version (but I orderer it together with the new releases coming out on September 24th), but all sources like amazon.de and other DVD-review-sites state that the englisch audio track is included. Nevertheless, I will ask around to make sure that it really is on the DVD (and that it's the track of the old version - with Warner Germany, you can never be sure... they really have a tendency for f****** up the B5-releases). Expect my definite answer within a couple of days...

[B]EDIT:[/B]
    Much earlier than I expected, I got a response: The German DVD definitely includes an englisch audio track, and yes, it is the right one. So have fun buying and watching it :D