Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Atlantis pilot discussion (SPOILERS)

Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
So A2597, how would you like your hat that you're about to eat? :)

After watching the pilot, I'm very excited to see what this show has to offer and eagerly await more episodes.

I will admit that the acting for the female wraith was a little over-the-top, but I suppose thats what they wanted. Those fighters looked fucking cool too. I wonder if we'll ever see the asgard in that part of the universe.

All in all, I give it 4 stars for a damn good start.

Comments

• WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    Off to a better start than SG1 had at least...

I liked it.
  • I enjoyed it and if definately has potential. It is gonna take me a few episodes to get used to the new characters.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Re: Stargate: Atlantis pilot discussion (SPOILERS)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]So A2597, how would you like your hat that you're about to eat? :)
    [/B][/QUOTE]

[quote][i]Originally posetd by A2597[/i]
    [b]just saw the Scifi special on SG1 season 8 / Atlantis...

and amazingly enough, it might not be horrible. It actually has potential! Which is alot more then I gave it before.

It comes out on my Birthday, so the premire had better be VERY good.[/b][/quote]

How is that indicative of me eating a hat?
  • You used caps sparsely, indicating that your other hand (which would normally be used to hold shift) was otherwise occupied. ie. with the eating of a hat.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Somehow the phrasing, "It might not be horrible!" does indicate a certain prediction of horribility. I also think the horrible-Atlantis concept was used in the "My God! Those uniforms look like Star Trek rejects!" thread, but I don't feel like looking it up.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    So far. it seems good. I'm going to stay tuned for season one and see how that pans out. If it leaves a positive impact, I'll continue watching happily.

I am a bit worried about how it seems almost to be turning into star trek, though.

They've landed in the great base of the ancients, and now have access to transport craft (*cough*Shuttlecraft?*cough*), drone racks (Torpedoes? :D), and remote scanners of some sort (Tricorders?). I'll give them a few more advancements, such as long-range communications, but if they somehow get their transporters working on a regular basis...

Still, it seems ok. With some time, it may go the right direction and we'll be safe!
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    i'm waiting for the 80meg(well there 99) files to be put back on. at stargates.tk.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Re: Re: Stargate: Atlantis pilot discussion (SPOILERS)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]How is that indicative of me eating a hat? [/B][/QUOTE]

I was referring to you dissing Atlantis and saying Enterprise was actually a good show... ;)
    Personally, my favorite part was when McKay started to dial the Stargate (after Weir told him to make it fast). He pushes the first button, waits for the little digital constellation to rotate into place, and announces to absolutely no one's benefit "Chevron One Encoded!"

Weir then gives him a writhing look what practically screamed, "Just push the damned buttons, okay?"

It's strange. I always love the "checklist" scenes before things get going, but I also enjoy people getting shot down when they're doing it at an inappropriate time. There was an episode of Futurama (actually, I think it was the pilot) when Leela, loyal employee of the cryofreezing building, is accidentally frozen and awakes a day later. She's greeted by the one of her coworkers, shouting his opening line, "Welcome, to the world of Tomorrow!"

She immediately says in exasperation, "Oh, shut up, Bob."
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Re: Re: Re: Stargate: Atlantis pilot discussion (SPOILERS)

[B]I was referring to you dissing Atlantis and saying Enterprise was actually a good show... ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I fully expected atlantis to be horrible from the earlier previews, 99% of the people on the net did as well.

And enterprise is the best of the treks, except for possibly TNG.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Stargate: Atlantis pilot discussion (SPOILERS)

[B]And enterprise is the best of the treks, except for possibly TNG. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeesh, I'm actually quite fond of Enterprise, but I wouldn't go that far. My rating would probably be

1. The Original Series
    2. Deep Space Nine
    3. Enterprise/The Next Generation (tie)
    5. Voyager
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    DS9, TNG and TOS are far, far, far superior to Enterprise. Hell, even Voyager is better at least 50% of the time.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]DS9, TNG and TOS are far, far, far superior to Enterprise. Hell, even Voyager is better at least 50% of the time. [/B][/QUOTE]

this from someone that watches one out of ten eps....

there were only what? 5 episodes last season that didn't deal with the Xindi arc? A couple of those were good. and ALL the Xindi arc storys were excellent.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I thought it was good. I had avoided all the previews because I didn't want to be put off it, which is what I had seen happen to other people who watched them.

The pilot was similiar to the pilot of SG1 but it also seemed better. I also think this show is probably going to be a bit darker than SG1 is.

As for borrowing the Star Trek gadgets...SG1 has done that too, they have even adopted Star Trek names for them (such as use of the Asgard teleportation device being called "beaming")

I look forward to seeing what they will do next.

Worf
    [B]this from someone that watches one out of ten eps....

there were only what? 5 episodes last season that didn't deal with the Xindi arc? A couple of those were good. and ALL the Xindi arc storys were excellent. [/B][/QUOTE]

One out of 10? Correct that to 2 out of every 3 (or 68% if you like).
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    ah, that was sanfam then...

oops. :)
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    Atlantis Kicks ass!! I found the Pilot ep to be very very good(The only part sucked is that I had to watch the 30 meg versions:mad:)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Another thing I have thought about, these new aliens remind me of the Yuuzhan Vong (for those who don't know, they are in a series of Star Wars books)

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]There was an episode of Futurama (actually, I think it was the pilot) when Leela, loyal employee of the cryofreezing building, is accidentally frozen and awakes a day later. She's greeted by the one of her coworkers, shouting his opening line, "Welcome, to the world of Tomorrow!"

She immediately says in exasperation, "Oh, shut up, Bob." [/B][/QUOTE]

She was only frozen for 5 minutes. It would've been 1000 years, but Fry took pity on her and set it to 5 minutes. Yes, it was the pilot ep btw.

[quote][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [b]I fully expected atlantis to be horrible from the earlier previews, 99% of the people on the net did as well.[/b][/quote]

What I find ironic is that you kept posting about how Atlantis would suck, yet in the past you complained that we should give Enterprise a chance before it aired. ;) Oh, would you mind posting a source that stated that "99% of the people on the net" thought it would be horrible.

[quote][b]And enterprise is the best of the treks, except for possibly TNG.[/b][/quote]

bwhahahahahahah

If its so great, then why has it got such low ratings and narrowly avoided getting shitcanned? Why is it bashed by everyone but the die-hard fans? ;)

WORF: The wraith's remind you of the Vong? How? They aren't physically disfigured, they don't enjoy pain for the hell of it. They don't disfigure anyone they capture. They definitely don't use slaves and appear to worship any 'gods'. ;)
    Even the die-hard fans are bashing it, Vert.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Well, I was reserving judgement until I saw it as well, but thats because Im skeptical of every new sci fi show to hit the street. Especially a Scifi channel original, their record is not exactly spotless. Several niche shows that attract a good number of incredibly loyal followers, but in the end not enough to keep it afloat *caugh* farscape.

However, I would have to say that I was impressed by the pilot for Atlantis. The characters are likable, and there is enough to look forward to, to merrit a good tv show. 1 thing I dont want though, is the main character to be jack oniell. His one liners are a little too familiar. If this show is going to succeed it needs to be standalone. I like the little gate jumpers though, cool little ships, and its reasonable to assume that the ancients also have trasporter technology just like the asguard. They just havent found it yet.

So Scifi channel did a good job this time. I was also incredibly impressed with the Battlestar Gallactica movie and am really happy to see comercials for the show starting in January. If that continues in the smae line as the movie that will also be a damn good show to watch.

Now, there has been some talk about Enterprise in this thread, and A#### seems to really like it. Im not a die hard trek fan, at least not anymore, voyager really left a bad taste in my mouth for star trek and enterprise is no mouthwash thats for sure. I was really excited about it too, and I thought the pilot was great, but its getting stale fast. I just dont understand why we are meating all of these new alien races that no one has ever heard of in the trek universe when this is supposed to be the past. They had so much backstory to play with and no one is doing anything with it. I just dont understand. I expected to see the earth/Romulan war yet there has been 1 Romulan episode, and it was kind of lame. And now I hear from trekweb that the next ST Motion picture (number 11) might be about the earth romulan war, but not include anything from enterprise??!?!?!? wth???

As far as the xindi storyline goes, I applaud them for trying to do a season long story arc, but with the writers they have, they should not have tried to do that. By the time the last 4 episodes aired, I was like WTF, just destroy earth already so the show can end. It wasnt exciting, it wasnt interesting, it was slow and underdeveloped with poor writing and even poorer acting from guest stars and regulars alike.

If I was an alien race hell bent on destroying the people of earth before they destroy my people, when I found out about the Enterprises presence in my space, Id have sent a small expidition to chek them out. When I found out our weaponry and ships were FAR superior, Id have sent a fleet to disable the ship, take as many hostages as possible then destroy it. Then launch my superweapon early to make sure it killed them. Story would have been over in like 4 episodes. The first couple of times the enterprise encountered the xindi they got their asses kicked and survived only because the xindi held back??!!!?!? why??? So the storyline could progress? lame.

The show has promise. And the actors have delivered in the past. Im hopefull that this new change and letting (is it manny coto?) take over with full creative control is going to be a good thing for the series and may bring it more life.

With any luck this time next year there will be 3 good sci fi shows on tv BSG, SGA and STE.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]Im hopefull that this new change and letting (is it manny coto?) take over with full creative control is going to be a good thing for the series and may bring it more life.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm hopeful about that too, but not that hopeful. I'm reserving judgement until I see just how out of the picture B&B can stay. If they don't stay right out then the writers won't be able to help it.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [B]I'm hopeful about that too, but not that hopeful. I'm reserving judgement until I see just how out of the picture B&B can stay. If they don't stay right out then the writers won't be able to help it. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Especially since Rick Berman makes announcements like "back to stand-alone episodes with maybe a few 3 episode-arcs" and "brent spiner as grandfather of Dr. Soong" and "William Shatner in a similar role, if he has time" etc... argh... somebody fire him allready...
    Please say they're [b]not[/b] planning something like that...
    [B]Please say they're [b]not[/b] planning something like that... [/B][/QUOTE]
    well, i guess i could say that, but that would be lying...
    edit: [URL=http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=40df135362cd1]Link[/URL]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    they have already stated that season four will be the temporal cold war, possibly involving the romulans.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    [B]
    What I find ironic is that you kept posting about how Atlantis would suck, yet in the past you complained that we should give Enterprise a chance before it aired. ;) Oh, would you mind posting a source that stated that "99% of the people on the net" thought it would be horrible.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, after the initial previews came out, I don't remember anyone here saying they expected it to be great. Everyone agreed they would give it a chance, [b]including me[/b].

I expected it to be horrible, yes. Before we all assumed it was going to be the same universe as SG1, but trekified. it looked and sounded very stupid based on that info. But if you recall, after the preview they had in the behind the scenes show last monday, I was the first here to say it might actually be good.

as for why I stuck to defending Enterprise, the premise was sound, and I hoped they didn't screw it up. Aside from the few episodes that do stink, I have not been let down. Usually there are 2-3 episodes a season I don't like in Enterprise. The rest? Well...I'd watch them again before watching a repete of most other series out there. (B5, Futurama, and depending on the ep, Smallville, excluded).
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    and to end this whole "A2597's an idiot for expecting Atlantis to suck" campaign:

may I refer you to every thread posted on Atlantis. I noticed that you vert, never posted expectations about Atlantis, so we have no way of knowing what you thought about it beforehand.

[url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5936&highlight=Stargate[/url]
    (My first opinion, that I would prefer season 8 of SG1. I think all would be in agreement here)

second topic, on the Atlantis uniforms:
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6517&highlight=Stargate[/url]
    My opinion stands. trek uniforms + Stargate = bad idea.

and the last topic before this one, where I said it might not actually be horrible.
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6665&highlight=Stargate[/url]

So HOW, pray tell, did you derive from those post that I was the only one on the face of this planet, that expected atlantis to be horrible? Two post. Wow.

Of course, if this whole thing was in jest, well...forgive me, I have a tenndancy to overreact to personal attacks. :D
    Edit: Bah... of course you had to make a second post while i was typing....

Re.: Enterpise
    I'll side with A# on this. Enterprise is not great, it's not the second coming, but it IS enjoyable. The characters are the most believable and likable characters in all trek imho. And there are only a few absolute awfull episodes in Each season (I'd go as far as saying that there was only one episode in season 3 that i absolutely couldn't stand (the one with the religious fanatics taking over enterprise))

btw: how much knowledge of SG-1 does one need to enjoy Atlantis? I'm thinking about getting the pilot, but i haven't seen any SG-1 episode for years...
    [B]Of course, if this whole thing was in jest, well...forgive me, I have a tenndancy to overreact to personal attacks. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

It was. :D I was just rubbing it in that Atlantis didn't suck like you said it would. ;)

I will, however, respond to this:

[quote]may I refer you to every thread posted on Atlantis. I noticed that you vert, never posted expectations about Atlantis, so we have no way of knowing what you thought about it beforehand.[/quote]

I stated several times that I was reserving judgement on it.