Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Vorlon transport -- what are the wings needed for?

rikuriku Earthforce Officer
Why are they needed???
for slow down? it can slow down without them..

[img]http://demo.ort.org.il/clickit2/files/forums/875755089/738485103.JPG[/img]

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    they don't have any real purpose, except for picking up girls.
    Girls love wings ;)
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    Nobody knows for certain but it most likely has something to do with hyperspace. Probably they're using it as their energy source.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Heat radiators? Solar panels of some kind? Hyperspace energy collectors? They just look cool? Remember, jms always considers drama more important than anything else, he would probably have said to the person who designed alien ships. "Make it look cool," and left it at that.
  • It would most likely not function to decelerate (accelerate would be a more accurate term however) the craft. There is a miniscule amount of friction from gasses and particles of other matter, so it would function very poorly to slow such a large mass. It is possible that the inside of the wings have some sort of propulsion system on them which requires the wings to be out to function, but I doubt this as the ship comes to rest in the docking bay, without colliding with other equipment in the process.

I would speculate that they are something akin to solar panels.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    It's the ship raising it's arms and going "Woo! Almost there!"

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Telepathic Beacon Transmitter for extending Kosh's telepathic range.

:D
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Well, let's consider how when they do whatever they do.

OPENED:

-While traveling in normal space under normal conditions.

CLOSED:

-In Hyperspace

-In battle

-While docking

So, in summation, I got nothin'.
    Definitely for looking cool then. :)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The ships are alive, so I suspect the wings allow the ship to collect energy (solar energy? maybe radiation?).

Worf
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]They just look cool?[/B][/QUOTE]
    ^
    ||That one
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I'm betting its to make it look bigger to the enemy. In the animal kingdom, looking bigger often makes you more intimidating to your opponent.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]I'm betting its to make it look bigger to the enemy. In the animal kingdom, looking bigger often makes you more intimidating to your opponent. [/B][/QUOTE]

But if that were the case, why would they only expand when everything was normal and contract when in combat?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    2 things:

JMS used to write into his scripts:

"Ron: Insert some cool CG here..."

From the horses mouth: (not to call Ron a Horse or anything...)

The transport and it's wings were an early creation for the pilot. The intent was to shed energy collected during Hyperspace, and to look f*cking cool.... :p
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    We could always look at it from the point of view that the transport is in fact a male peacock so has to show off every now and then with its impressive plummage and wing span ;) :D So that theory would mean there's female Vorlon ships ;)
    Well, they are organic ships. They have to reproduce somehow :p
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]But if that were the case, why would they only expand when everything was normal and contract when in combat? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, they were only closed when fighting the shadows IIRC. In the pilot movie, they were wide open when they were about to fire on the station.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Well, they were only closed when fighting the shadows IIRC. In the pilot movie, they were wide open when they were about to fire on the station. [/B][/QUOTE]

... and... they had just exited Hyperspace too... ;)
    I'm not sure, were the transports about to fire? I remember the motherships and the fighters having their little lightning-guns glowing, but I'm not sure about the transports.

In any case, the ships did close their wings when B5 started tumbling around and they had to get the hell out of dodge. Perhaps they have to close for power-intensive activities.
    Or because, when you have a big fleet manouvering around in a hurry like that, it's easier to not hit eachother if your ships are taking up less space.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I'm gunna go with atuning their psychic powers...

Kosh...phone home...:D
  • I would think that they (aside from just trying to look neat) collect some form of free floating molecule for power, similar to a brussard ram scoop collecting hydrgen. Maybe, since its a living ship it uses that to "feed" as it were. They propbably closed during combat and high evasive manuvers so as not to create a larger target for the enemy, or as someone previously mentioned, to not collide with other ships.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Wow... people here have an absolutely staggering ability to completely ignore Jack.
    I know, but stopping them is not as fun as watching them speculate wildly in the face of being told exactly what the creator figured they might be for.
  • NorlionNorlion Earthforce Officer
    Come on people you know its for spores. They use the spores to mate, communicate, and grab snacks. I can here it now, "Hey John how's going?"
    "Well Kosh is kicking Sheridan around again and these docking surfaces really chaf my skin."
    Actually Akrovah had another part of the theoretical usage also. Remember the very first transport model years ago (made by Ron) featured four Jet Engine looking objects up snug against the body. The Bussard Ram Jet principle could have been applied to the wings (petals) as powerful field generators to scoop the hydrogen.

As in life, in the reality of the series, they could have served several purposes...

;)

In the reality of the production, they just looked damn cool at the time... :p
    I personally like the idea that the wings are part of a mating display by the organic Vorlon ships :D
    :rolleyes: Next we'll be envisioning two vorlon ships copulating...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Now that just boggles the mind...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Another theory is that they scoop up fresh air for the transports aircon system (optional extra, requires GPS) to keep Kosh extra kool on those long trips...

Oh wait you don't get fresh air in space... darn! :D
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Or it could be used to pick up ice-particles to form ice cubes for Kosh's cocktailbar..