Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Bye Bye Sierra...

Comments

• E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Probably eaten by rats. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Hey, don't insult animals by comparing them to those spineless scumbags leading some companies!
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    all the source code...models....the game....gone...

GAH!!! ROT IN YOUR GRAVE SIERRA! :p
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B] As much as I loath THAT company for forcing Sierra to cut back (Thus leading to the demise of ITF)....I can live with it. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I had no idea Vivendi had anything to do with that.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    Ant Atari, and Ubisoft, and Black Label Games.....
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Especially with some of the real gems that Ubisoft has been putting out lately With the new Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, and FarCry. They have the beginnings of a good game making future on thier hands.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Sierra was/is a subsidiary of Vivendi, last I heard, vivendi were the ones that told sierra to cut back, and sierra replid by canning ITF and a few others.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]Especially with some of the real gems that Ubisoft has been putting out lately With the new Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, and FarCry. They have the beginnings of a good game making future on thier hands. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ubisoft seems to have done well recently.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I think it's all Vivendi's foult for everything bad happening to Sierra and Interplay. They used to publish and make the best games and when Vivendi bought them (Interplay wasn't really bought up by Vivendi but they had somekind of cooperative thing) it's just been going down wards.

I guess Blizzard will go soon too because Vivendi owns them too.
  • Thats bad news, I almost forgot about Blizzard. Ghost looks awsome.
  • Seen the latest Penny Arcade? It seems that Nihilistic was trying to turn it into a crappy shoot-em-up, before Blizzard kicked 'em out. Let's hope it's still worth it in 2009 when it comes out... :mad:
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]Seen the latest Penny Arcade? It seems that Nihilistic was trying to turn it into a crappy shoot-em-up, before Blizzard kicked 'em out. Let's hope it's still worth it in 2009 when it comes out... :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]
    It could be either that, or BLizzard decided to make it a shoot them up, thus resulting in Nihilistic quitting. You never know with company politics now aday...
  • Wasn't Sierra under the Havas name before Vivendi?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]It could be either that, or BLizzard decided to make it a shoot them up, thus resulting in Nihilistic quitting. You never know with company politics now aday... [/B][/QUOTE]

I've lost a lot of my former respect for Blizzard, but I still think that they're fairly dedicated to making their games good. But like you said, company politics...
    Vivendi actually appear to have gone out of their way to leave Blizzard alone whenever they "restructure." It's possible they realise how important Blizzard actually is to their bottom line.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]Seen the latest Penny Arcade? It seems that Nihilistic was trying to turn it into a crappy shoot-em-up, before Blizzard kicked 'em out. Let's hope it's still worth it in 2009 when it comes out... :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

The impression I got from the news post to go with that was that it was Blizzard leading the charge towards an action game, not Nihilistic. But as mentioned, you never know which company it was really.
  • Whats the Penny Arcade?
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by C_Mon [/i]
    [B]I think it's all Vivendi's foult for everything bad happening to Sierra and Interplay. They used to publish and make the best games and when Vivendi bought them (Interplay wasn't really bought up by Vivendi but they had somekind of cooperative thing) it's just been going down wards.

I guess Blizzard will go soon too because Vivendi owns them too. [/B][/QUOTE]

"I see, a dark hand....[b]reaching[/b] for the companies!"
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]Whats the Penny Arcade? [/B][/QUOTE]
    An online [URL=http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-06-23&res=l]comic[/URL] and forum/blog about all-things gaming.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Glad you got HW2 Jack...:) Great game [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn... either I'm getting too old, or this game is fricken too hard...

I have more fun in the player vs computer than I do in the single player.

So far It just really sucks not being in control of when you hyperspace and stuff...

I wonder if I'll ever get past the Shipyard level (2 or 3, I think...)

:rolleyes:
  • If you think the shipyar dlevel is bad, wait until the next level. That's where I am currently stuck. I was farther along but I lost all my saved games in an unfourtunate hard drive incident. It is a very tough game.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Level 12 (i think) has you outnumbered and outgunned 3 to 1 even when you max out your ship limits and its also against the clock.

Worf
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Two comments, first on the FS3 thing, yeah when interplay goes down the rights are going to get auctioned off, but I would be suprised to see volition snag them during the auction, or who ever does snag em sell them to volition for a quick return on investment.

Secondly I doub Sierra has any ITF stuff left, its probably slowly been smuggled out of there in various peoples hands.

Now to ruin the suspense, I bet alot of people who hang out around here know roughly where a good chunk of that stuff is. And some day, when all the obnoxious parties are not paying attention it might show back up

Hell LOAF over at WCNews managed to salvage over 6000 pages of documents and gigs of data when Origin and the Wing Commander franchise went belly up. I would be suprised if something similar has happend here.
    Interesting thoughts, Tyvar.

What WC stuff did they get?
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    cough/ someoftheITFstuffissafe /cough

As far as HW2 goes, go to the walk thrus at Relic mate.. seriously.. I tried for ages with some of the missions and what you actually have to do in some of the missions has almost nothing to do with the so called 'objectives' you're given.

One huge hint. Get good at capturing stuff, the Vagyr use some tech you cant build yourself, but you certainly can borrow it and use it very much to your advantage. Be aware that Marine frigates are attack magnets, defend them hugely or they die big time.

Always attack super capitals with subsystem attacks.. engines.. weapons (ESP the HUGE missile batteries on the Vaygyr Battlecruiser)

Secondly, use platforms. Send in your ships first, then bring in a second wave consisting entirely of platforms, (built accordingly to thier opposition, (ions for everything except fighters, and ordinary gun platties for fighter control) They MINCE everything and they dont count against your ship total. They are fast to build and relatively cheap. The Vaygr usually concentrate on your ships leaving your platforms unmolested, and as a consequence they are devastating. Just dont try to use them as vanguard forces, they cant shoot and move effectively so they get creamed. Once they are stopped tho...they treat the Vaygr like a four course meal. You can also cheat slightly. If you move your fleet by moving the Pride of Higara, (the big banana), the platties move with you... and they are fucking lethal defensive tools, you can turn your Banana into a very large ungainly combat vessel.

You also dont have to count your pennies much in HW2, you can collect vast ammounts of resources with little trouble. The AI doesnt bother trying to kill your resourcer fleets. I didnt guard them at all until they were working a field directly inline with the Vaygr attack vector.

Pulsars rock, build them and keep them at full strength.

Bombers and Inties are good in mixed squadrons 2 bombers to every Intie.

Fire control towers on your capitals seem to be very effective.

Frigates seem to be a waste of time, outside of being very good fodder for the enemy to feed on while you move your heavies in to destroy them. The enemey capitals favour killing them first so I let them, while I eat thier fleet with Destroyers and Crusiers. Build Frigs only as a luxury item.

Build lots of build capable ships. The more bays you have pumping out hardware the better off you are. I found myself on the factory floor more often than I was out in the battlefield so to speak. Two carriers and a shipyard at the very least.

In short HW2 is just like the modern battlefield. Everything has to be done in overwhleming numbers and power as fast as possible. Most of the time I was siccing my entire fleet on one destroyer/cruiser/cap ship at a time.
    I need to pick up a copy of homeworld 2 I think Ill do that this weekend.

I rember Homeworld 1 fondly, I played through the game once where except for the last mission or two I didnt ever blow up a capital ship.. no I STOLE THEM! BUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I ended the game with like 8 crusiers and 4 carriers and I crashed the game once because I had too many Ion frigates :D (like 50 of em)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Interesting thoughts, Tyvar.

What WC stuff did they get? [/B][/QUOTE]

well, artwork for stuff that was dropped from the game, but there wasnt alot of that actually, universe bible for the writers, history of revisions, changes in plot lines there is a ton of crap there. In fact good chunks of paperwork generated by Origin during the development of the game ended up LOAF's hands, but he hasnt even begun to scan it and place it online yet.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]I rember Homeworld 1 fondly, I played through the game once where except for the last mission or two I didnt ever blow up a capital ship.. no I STOLE THEM! BUWHAHAHAHAHA!!![/B][/QUOTE]

Cataclysm remains my favourite of the series.

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]I bet alot of people who hang out around here know roughly where a good chunk of that stuff is. [/B][/QUOTE]

*cough*

What are you trying to say?

:p
    That all the janitors that liberated stuff check FO routinely awaiting the time they can e-bay what they have?

damn janitors.. worse then butlers they are! ;)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Yeah, well, somehow, the janitors always end up saving the day.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Yeah, well, somehow, the janitors always end up saving the day. [/B][/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Roger Wilco and Vohaul's Revenge...

I can't imagine a new Space Quest without Scott or Mark involved in it...

The one with Josh Mandel at the helm was ok, but just wasn't the same...

Sierra Sucks...
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Exactly.