Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Bye Bye Sierra...

Sierra = gone. Yep, gone, kaput, closed. :)

[url]http://www.evilavatar.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4829&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0[/url]
[url]http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?tid=127&tid=186&tid=206[/url]

Hope the developers working for sierra find new jobs quickly, but I can't say I'm sorry to see Sierra close doors.

Maybe we will get lucky, and they will auction off the content of their warehouses!

Comments

• Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    That sucks!!

I have dibs on the unrealeased into fire games!!!!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    They arn't giving up the brand name though. I guess they're still trying to ride its legacy (into the ground).
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Drat... I was just about to post this....
  • KonradKonrad Ranger
    My boycott of Sierra and all related companies and products still stands strong. :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Took this long eh?

I guess it's my Birthday present...

:p

close enough to the 18th of June...

;)

oh and I just got HW2 for my Birthday too! :D $19.99 at CompUSA! Wee!
  • WalkerWalker Earthforce Officer
    All I have to say is

.|.. you, Sierra. [I]Chears.[/I]

I had similar words to say when I heard about Interplay's demise; whom I loathe for cancelling Fallout 3.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    I see their definition for well selling game was "right".
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Walker [/i]
    [B]All I have to say is

I had similar words to say when I heard about Interplay's demise; whom I loathe for cancelling Fallout 3. [/B][/QUOTE]

Fortunately, Interplay is next. :) They're already bankrupt...
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    dang... I better email my Mole... if any of the ITF stuff is in the offing we better secure it... in fact... all those with Sierra contacts... get to it... lets not the good stuff fall into the wrong hands

I wonder where this leaves the Sierra materials in regards to the law ??

Glad you got HW2 Jack...:) Great game
    Technically, I think it would leave them in the hands of Vivendi. They own all Sierra's assets. Just because they're closing down the studio (or what's left of it), they still get to keep any assets I think. This is how they can keep on using the name.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Walker [/i]
    [B]All I have to say is

I had similar words to say when I heard about Interplay's demise; whom I loathe for cancelling Fallout 3. [/B][/QUOTE]

And killing off any hope for a Freespace 3.
    It's worth noting that the only way any B5:ITF stuff could be used to further Firstones.com would probably be in the way of once again exceeding our bandwidth with people downloading it for free, since I don't think WB would look too kindly on us selling B5 stuff.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    you could try to get a license... :D
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    imagion what the IFH lads could do with the ITF source though, with sporadic input from the devs. :D

Oh well...prolly ain't going to happen...
  • If wishes were horses, I could get some armor and weaponry from a friend's dad who LARPs, and we could sack Vivendi's HQ like the barbarian tribes sacking the Roman Empire.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]

And killing off any hope for a Freespace 3. [/B][/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

As for Sierra, I vowed never to buy another Sierra game After ITF was cancelled, Unless it was Half-Life 2, or Homeworld 2. Unfortunatly they did, or were about to do, both.:mad:

I'm glad to see them go really.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    heh, I made that same boycott...and since Homeworld didn't interest me, o problems keeping it.

and now HL2 is published purely by Vivendi. As much as I loath THAT company for forcing Sierra to cut back (Thus leading to the demise of ITF)....I can live with it. :D
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    all thats going to be left if Microsoft games:(
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Ant Atari, and Ubisoft, and Black Label Games.....

theres still tonns of publishers/game makers out there Simmonds.

Sierra was a good one that went bad, and it best that they are gone. They screwed over their developers and their fans, instead of remembering that THOSE are what keep a company alive.

Interplay made the same mistake. It's a deadly one to make for a company.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    ...and EA...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]And killing off any hope for a Freespace 3. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hope for FS3 died before [V]olition went to THQ. Intercrap wouldn't let them.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    You guys are SO wrong about Freespace3. A [V] employee was quoted as saying that the second Interplay kicks it, they're going to try for FS3.
  • I really want a 3rd game but I am not gonna get my hopes up for it. Even IF they do get the freespace series from Interplay's cold dead fingers they still need THQ to publish it IF they are willing and as I recall sales on FS2 weren't that great so they may not be willing to invest in it. My hope will be restored once at least one of those two big ifs are out of the way.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]You guys are SO wrong about Freespace3. A [V] employee was quoted as saying that the second Interplay kicks it, they're going to try for FS3. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, I never thought about that. There is one problem though... if Interplay's assets get given to debtors that will likely include trademarks such as the Freespace name.
    I remember quite a few instances where the rights to games and IP were auctioned off when a publisher/developer went bancrupt, to get a bit of the money back.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Good riddance! :D
    I hate to be the naysayer, but this isn't as much as killing the monster. It's more like cutting the monsters toenails...
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    My mole has sent a coded message back to me.

There are no more assests of ITF left at Sierra. Everything extant is now in the hands of the fans etc.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]My mole has sent a coded message back to me.

There are no more assests of ITF left at Sierra. Everything extant is now in the hands of the fans etc. [/B][/QUOTE]
    wich is what we suspected for a long time :(

Though i'm still wondering what happened to the negatives of the filmed stuff... (was that kept by Sierra, or by Babylonian Productions/WB)
    Probably eaten by rats.
    WB then ;)
    (happened to parts of TG)