Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Sinclair's Departure

2»

Comments

• [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]And continuing that line of reasoning, an actor who went with Ivanova better would have been cast and chances are high that the character of Byron would have been more likable.

[/b][/quote]

Again, how do you know that? It seems as if you're merely assuming. How do you know that JMS wanted Byron played similar to how Robin Atkins Downes portrayed him?

Personally, I like Downes. I've seen him in roles other than Byron and thought he was fantastic. For all you know, it could be the character you dislike (no matter who played him) and not the actor.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You're missing my point. Because of the different actor and the different aims that JMS had for the character, the character of Byron himself would have been different. I never said Robin Atkin Downes was bad, just that the character he played was.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Personally, I think Sinclair's departure fits pretty well with the timeline. Think about it...it would be pretty wierd having Sinclair there since he's Valen. How could he go back in time with the B4 station and run B5 at the same time? Thats why JMS brought in Sheridan. Thats what B5 needed...someone with enough balls to tell the bad guy to take his attitude and shove it. Sheridan is portrayed PERFECTLY by Bruce Boxleitner. He is one of the best actors I have ever seen on TV.

------------------
    [url="http://www.mdstudios.f2s.com/index.html"]Material Defender Studios[/url]
    [i]Fan Artwork[/i]
    [i]3dsmax tutorials ONLINE! More to come soon![/i]

[b]PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN![/b]
  • Cary L. BrownCary L. Brown Earthforce Officer
    I seem to recall having read a quote from JMS at one point or another (but don't ask me to go find it!) that it was ALWAYS the intention that Sinclair would become Valen. And that it was always the intention to have Sinclair replaced by another character partway through the series.

The main change in the plot line wasn't "IF" it happened, just "WHEN" it happened.

I seem to recall that the idea, originally, was to have one new character that combined the characteristics of Marcus Cole and John Sheridan. With the early departure of Sinclair, there were two roles to be filled and instead of sticking with the original plan of having a ranger guy (the Sheridan/Cole composite)and an Earthforce guy (Sinclair), they sort of shifted the roles a bit so that Sinclair became a "Senior Ranger Guy" and there was also a "Junior Ranger Guy" played in the role of Cole. The long-term leadership role, originally intended for the "Sheri-cole" character, was seeded to Sheridan, and Cole, not long after the departure of Sinclair, became a redundant character (and thus ended up being removed).

I read all this, and I'm sure it was in a JMS interview, but feel free to dispute, argue, and best of all, confirm/deny with JMS.