Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Sinclair's Departure

Are there still many of you who feel that Jeffrey Sinclair's departure after Season 1 hindered the show's remaining saga?

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to know who you liked best - Sinclair or Sheridan. Personally, I adore both men. I just want to know if you thought JMS did the right thing.

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I think it was for the better.
    Michael O'Hare was apparently made of wood during the show. He simply could not demonstrate any real acting ability for the most part. He did show some signs, but not enough.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    IMHO it was done to suddenly. I don't remember seeing any Scene where Sinclair leaves the station. (I know that the decision to replace sinclair was made after S1 was made, but i think it should have been possible to get Michael O'Hare for at least 2 scenes at the beginning of the first S2 ep. where he get's his orders or whatever and leaves the station.)

But to answer your question, i *think* it opened up a lot of new story-possibilities, like sinclair beeing valen, and sheridan going beyond the rim instead of dying...
  • I think the fact that he is abruptly reasigned adds a sense of mystery in the early 2nd season. For the most part I think it turned out for the best. I do think though it would have made season 5 much better if Ivonova would have stayed.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Michael O'Hare's acting ability only strengthened the idea of Mimbari connections for me (to become Valen in the future and past). I look at it the same way that I do Mira Furlan's warmer acting after her character was made into a more human like character after Chrysalis. If all actors were the same TV/Film would be boring.

I know people in real life that are more rigid than he was as an actor.

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    But do they get paid to be that way? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Didn't O'Hare want to leave the show? I don't know if JMS had very many options open to him. I think it's amazing he managed to re-work his story arc at all.

------------------
    [url="http://slade__tek.tripod.com/"]Alec McClymont, 3D Artist[/url]
    3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think his leaving provided JMS with many new and great opportunities for the show, plus it allowed Sheridan to be brought in who proved to be just the sort of leader needed during the Shadow War. Sinclair was too diplomatic.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [quote]Originally posted by Slade:
    [b]Didn't O'Hare want to leave the show? I don't know if JMS had very many options open to him. I think it's amazing he managed to re-work his story arc at all.
    [/b][/quote]
    After Season 1 JMS realised that it would add much more to the show if sinclair left, and discussed this with Michal O'Hare, and he agreed. O'Hare left without anger and similar feelings, and so JMS was able to have his character return for a few episodes (the part in "Coming of the Shadows", i think was it, was shot before Filming of Season 2 started, by the way)
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Looking back on Micheal O'Hare, I think Bruce B was much better, in terms of character depth and acting ability. I think the axing of Micheal O'Hare was a huge move and a shock to all fans, but it was one of those moves that shocked everybody into watching, just like the amazing cliffhanger at the end of season 3. Now that one just blew me away. I do like Micheal O'Hare, but he just never seemed to relax into the role. I was nice to seem him come back for the episodes that he did do later on in the series, and those appearances helped to add to the shroud of mystery around his character, which in my opinion made him much more interesting than he was in the first season.

I agree with RubberEagle though, I think they should have had at least 1 scene where Sinclair, sitting in his office, recieves a Gold Channel transmission from Earth Force Command, telling him he's relieved of his command. That would have been a good scene. and I think having that might have not lead to all the rumors that JMS hated him, and just got rid of him as fast as possible. But then, the mystery would have been alot less.

He still was the One though.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]B5 site[/url].
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon1:
    [b]
    [/b][/quote]

His leaving opened up so many avenues for JMS that would not have been easy to do otherwise.

I liked Him as an actor, and his character, but i think his leaving made it a better show, Not for his abssense, but for what they were able to do with his character gone

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • Admiral AndyAdmiral Andy Earthforce Officer
    It's hard to say, I liked both, but I think I would have liked to see JMS's original idea for B5 to have been put into production.

I have a feeling that War Without End was supposed to be the last episode in the series because this is when Sinclair was still the lead character.

But if you notice, Michael O'Hare did a good job portraying Commander Sinclair because he's supposed to be like wood (really how many people would be outgoing or gung-ho after living the Battle of the Line)?

Sinclair was supposed to be strong, yet a hint of the mental trauma from the Line always in the back of his mind. I think we would've seen more emotion in him when he found out that Catherine Sakai supposedly perishes on a survey mission to scout for worlds containing Quantium 40. One of these planets of course would be Z'Ha'dum and this event would've happened in the second season.

Sinclair of course would have found her to be still alive and would be lured to Z'Ha'dum the same way Anna lured Sheridan.
  • I never really considered Sinclair as The One. I think that JMS's idea of "The One", as envisioned in "War Without End" best appeals to me.

Think about it. Neither Sinclair, Delenn or Sheridan are telepaths. Yet, Sinclair was able to detect Bester trying to get into his thoughts in "Mind War". Delenn was able to detect the presence of the Shadows around Mr. Morden in "Signs and Portents". And Sheridan was able to carry part of Kosh between "Interludes & Examinations" and early Season 4. Also, all three became Entil'zha after the revival of the Rangers in this order - Sinclair, Delenn and finally Sheridan.

Also, when you think about it, Delenn is the link between the two men. She is a descendant of Sinclair and with Sheridan, will create a son, who will carried the blood of all three.

If it was Catherine Sakai who got lost at Z'ha'dum, wouldn't the events of "War Without End" had to have happened sometime in Season 4? And what would have ended first? The Shadow War? Or the Earth Civil War?

As for Ivanova in Season 5 - I don't know. I heard JMS had plans for her to have a romance with Byron. Quite frankly, I would prefer if she had left, instead of her becoming Byron's lover. And I happen to like Lochley, as well.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Yet, Sinclair was able to detect Bester trying to get into his thoughts in "Mind War".[/quote]

Sinclair didn't "detect" Bester reading his mind... he only knew Bester was doing so because Bester answered a question before Sinclair asked it when they first met.
    [quote]Originally posted by Admiral Andy:
    [b]But if you notice, Michael O'Hare did a good job portraying Commander Sinclair because he's supposed to be like wood (really how many people would be outgoing or gung-ho after living the Battle of the Line)?

Sinclair was supposed to be strong, yet a hint of the mental trauma from the Line always in the back of his mind. I think we would've seen more emotion in him when he found out that Catherine Sakai supposedly perishes on a survey mission to scout for worlds containing Quantium 40. One of these planets of course would be Z'Ha'dum and this event would've happened in the second season.[/b][/quote]

The problem was, he was apparently made of some sort of Concrete-reinforced wood. It was just not the most appealing, and got bland with viewing.
    [quote]
    "As for Ivanova in Season 5 - I don't know. I heard JMS had plans for her to have a romance with Byron. Quite frankly, I would prefer if she had left, instead of her becoming Byron's lover."
    [/quote]

Wha?

Ivanova wasn't Byron's lover...
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by JackN:
    [b] Wha?

Ivanova wasn't Byron's lover...[/b][/quote]

Byron was Lyta's bitch

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • IF and I say IF, Invonova had stayed for season 5 jms said that she might have ending up with Byron
    The poor, poor woman...

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    God I find that one hard to believe. I doubt if it would have worked well, not the realtionship, just the on screen paring of the 2.... nah it would not fit. Not with Marcus in the freezer waiting for a revival tech.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]B5 site[/url].
  • EternityEternity Elite Ranger
    Personally I think JMS did the right thing. I liked the B4 story arc with Sinclair.

But hell that is just me!
    No it isn't!

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon1:
    [b]God I find that one hard to believe. I doubt if it would have worked well, not the realtionship, just the on screen paring of the 2.... nah it would not fit. Not with Marcus in the freezer waiting for a revival tech.

[/b][/quote]

I think it's safe to assume that if that Ivanova story had developed, a different actor would be playing Byron. A lot of the casting involves how an actor looks and acts as it relates to the story. JMS probably would have picked an actor that had on-screen chemistry with Claudia Christian.
    Which would have made a difference to how the first half of the 5th season turned out.

------------------

• I doubt it. I suspect that JMS would have allowed the telepath situation to develop as it happened in "Phoenix Rising".
    Yeah, but the first half of the season would have been so much better cause Byron would have been more likable.

------------------

• RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [quote]Originally posted by Slade:
    [b]Didn't O'Hare want to leave the show? I don't know if JMS had very many options open to him. I think it's amazing he managed to re-work his story arc at all.

[/b][/quote]

WB "asked" JMS to replace O'hare, as I recall (hence the "untidy" departure between Season 1 and 2). There are various entries in fansites that speculate why this happened, but it's probably best left as it is.

------------------
    [i]"...Never start a fight...but [b]always[/b] finish it."[/i]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-31-2001).]
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I think that Sinclairs leaving was for the better, because it added a large element of story. However, noone knows what would have happened had Sinclair stayed.

------------------
    [i]"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."[/i] G'Kar, Season 3
    Please check out the Babylon 5 mod for Battlecruiser Millenium at [url="http://mods.firstones.com/B5BCM"]http://mods.firstones.com/B5BCM[/url]
  • [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]Yeah, but the first half of the season would have been so much better cause Byron would have been more likable.

[/b][/quote]

How do you know that? How do you know that another actor would have been chosen to play Byron?
    [quote]Originally posted by Claudia Trent:
    [b]
    How do you know that? How do you know that another actor would have been chosen to play Byron?[/b][/quote]

It's a guess based on the fact that if Ivanova and Byron were originally supposed to be an item, the current actor who plays Byron doesn't really seem like Ivanova's "type".
    And continuing that line of reasoning, an actor who went with Ivanova better would have been cast and chances are high that the character of Byron would have been more likable.

------------------