Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Station glitch in Season 5 (poss spoilers beware!!)

Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
I was watching the espisode 'Learning Curve' last night, the one where the Minbari Ranger has to face his fear and beat the crap out of the thug that nearly killed him. Just before the scene where Delenn tells Lockley about the Analshok using 'Terror' to bring this guy down, there is a outside shot of the station. To my amazement the whole station was rotating! I don't mean the central cylinder, but the whole frame aswell. The reason I noticed was because the solar panels were moving as the station rotated. Looks like they forgot to lock down that part of the 3D model during the animation. Has anybody noticed this before? Its probably been commented on before but I missed alot of season 5 when it aired on tv this side of the water.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You can see the same shot used in the opening credits of every episode of the season. It's the camera that's moving, not the entire station.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Hmm, odd... never caught my attention before and I tend to pay close attention to most cgi sequences.
    I knew exactly which shot you were talking about straight away because it did grab my attention. :)
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    That camera move became all the rage for a while. Every outer space shot had it in there. ie armaggedon and the like. I think they were trying to give the feel that the camera was floating weightless.
    It didn't stand out to much to me, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Dug
    The shot doesn't stand out to me because it's moving, it stands out to me because when I saw it in that episode I recognised it from the title sequence.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Same with me. I always liked that shot. It's a pity it was only used once outside of the main title. My guess is, given the composition and it's position at the beginning of the sequence, it was meant to evoke all of those side-on wide shots of Babylon 5 that they stopped doing after the first season.

Trivia: Those establishing shots typically had the camera pulling away slightly from the station. However, in the teaser of "Survivors", the camera goes towards the station. It is not a new shot, however, simply the same one played in reverse. You can tell because the station is rotation the wrong way.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Sadly, that shot of the station rotating backwards is in a number of season 1 eps (there may even be more than one shot of it; can't remember). I think I even saw the station rotating backwards somewhere in S2 or S3.
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    You guys do net pick at such tiny things hehe. ;)
    And then there's the time when the rotation system failed in Legend of the Rangers...
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]And then there's the time when the rotation system failed in Legend of the Rangers... [/B][/QUOTE]

That and the fact that Epsilon 3 and it's Moon seem to have stealth capabilities half the time...

:p
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]You can see the same shot used in the opening credits of every episode of the season. It's the camera that's moving, not the entire station. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup, it's camera movement. It's been a long time since I saw this, but if you look closely you should see the rotating section to move faster than the non-rotating section, which tells us that the non-rotating section is not moving with the rotating section, which in turn tells us that the camera is moving, which makes it look as if the non-rotating section was also rotating.

Actually you couldn't even make the non-rotating section of the station to rotate accidentally. You would need to animate it separately in a 3D-software to make it rotate and believe me, it can't happen accidentally. :)

- PJH
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    just out of curiosity, do you guys have jobs???

wow, your like comic book guy pointing out how episode number 115 of STNG demonstrated that the federation did ....

If you like it so much, why nitpick guys?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Because we notice these things, and find it amusing.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Because we notice these things, and find it amusing. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm.........more like moaning/complaining to me :p
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]just out of curiosity, do you guys have jobs???[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, no. :D
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    working around 50 hours a week at school and 15 hours at work leaves me little time to nitpick.

So i leave it up to them :D
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Re: Station glitch in Season 5 (poss spoilers beware!!)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Analshok[/B][/QUOTE]

Why, oh why did he not call them something different... Too many times have I seen this...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    You know I never noticed until now :eek:
    Lol nor me! :eek:
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Count me up for the 'didn't think about it before' -crew. :D Love it. :p

"We are the AnalShok"
    "We live for the One, we die for the One"
    "My Hemorrhoids are killing me"
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    LOL!:D

Y'know, he could've been thinking about what happens when you've had way too much chili... :D