Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Better the second time around

David of MacDavid of Mac Elite RangerCa
[b][SIZE=4]Big spoilers for all seasons in the rest of this thread![/SIZE][/b]

I've noticed that, quite a few times, musical cues have been reused from one Babylon 5 episode in another, later episode.

What is most peculiar about this is that the music often works much, much better in the second episode, even though it is unchanged from it's original appearance.

One example of this is "Objects at Rest", and the scene where Sheridan and Delenn arrive at Minbar. This is the music from the end of the fifth act of "A View From the Gallery", when the White Stars all jump in and blow up the evil aliens. And the odd, almost religious sounding music when Sheridan looks out over the balcony is the bit where Bo remembers his telepathically-induced Starfury ride.

The best one I can think of, though, is Sheridan's resurrection in "Whatever Happened To Mr. Garibaldi?" It's one of the most beautiful scenes in the series, and the music is an integral part.

Now, I was frankly shocked when I later saw "And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" and found the music was originally made for the revelation of the White Star fleet. It doesn't even fit this scene! If I didn't know which came first, I'd tell the music was composed for "Whatever Happened...."!

Can anybody else think of any examples?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I can't think of any examples, but I have to say that's quite interesting, particularly that they fit better the second time around. I guess it shows how good the music is, really.
  • I do know hwere they re-used a piece of music, but it fits pretty well in both scenes, but a little better in the original. It's the music when B5 is Blowing up. This was also used in one of the two episodes before "Sleeping in Light". I think it was "Objects at Rest" but may have been "Objects in Motion, i can't remember if they left the station at the very end, or if there was an ep on Minbar before the end. Anyway, the music was re-used in the scene where Sheriden has the pilot point the White star back at the station for one last look and it pans across the viewport of CnC with the new crew on the station. A realy beautify scene actually since they had a similar shot in the opening credits of Season 1 with the original crew.
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]I do know hwere they re-used a piece of music, but it fits pretty well in both scenes, but a little better in the original. It's the music when B5 is Blowing up. This was also used in one of the two episodes before "Sleeping in Light". I think it was "Objects at Rest" but may have been "Objects in Motion, i can't remember if they left the station at the very end, or if there was an ep on Minbar before the end. Anyway, the music was re-used in the scene where Sheriden has the pilot point the White star back at the station for one last look and it pans across the viewport of CnC with the new crew on the station. A realy beautify scene actually since they had a similar shot in the opening credits of Season 1 with the original crew. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're thinking of Objects at Rest, which has all the stuff you mentioned. The second half of the episode took place on Minbar (Londo visiting, Sheridan leaving the message for his son, etc).
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Erm... someone should mark this "massive spoilers for people who have not seen the entire show."
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    Another great musical piece was when Sheridan asked Delenn to marry him, they used this music a few times but I don't recall what scenes.
    :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    All of Franke's music for Babylon 5 is better the next time around...

;)

I never get tired of it no matter what context it is under...

:)
  • Me niether, i have i think around seven of the B5 cds. I havn't listened to any of his other stuf though.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I'm with JackN on this aswell, never tire of listening to Frankes music. There are many occasions where he's reused segments in different episodes, like Biggles I can't remember any off handy but they are there. I think it helps to create a consistent sound/atmosphere for the show. When a tv show has its own distinctive theme one can relate to it more. What I've found with Franke is that he uses certain sounds and effects that one would associate with sci fi quite a bit. If you listen to Perry Rhodan - Pax Terra, an album that Franke released in 1996, there are 3 tracks on there which are amazing. When you listen to them you can pick out the sounds that he used in B5. The ones to listen to are 'The Endless Armada, Mountain of Creation, and Frost Ruby'. They are amazing! Really worth listening too. Unfortunately the other tracks on the album are a bit iffy.