Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Narn and Centauri Tech

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
I was just wondering:
In the first season 3 episode, Sheridan is surprised that the whitestar has artificial gravity.

Neither the Narn nor the Centauri ships have any rotational sections, nor use gravimetric drives as the minbari.
Does that mean their ships have no artificial gravity system, or just a different? (don't know if we ever heard something about that, and the only shot that actually took place ON one of their ships, without having the character strapped into a seat was Londo standing at the window when the Narn homeworld was bombed.)

Comments

• AlexAlex Earthforce Officer
    The Centauri have artificial Gravity.
    Since Londo is standing whole watching the bombing of Narn, there must be gravity.
    The Centauri are quite advanced. Maybe the have garvity technilogy simmilar to the Minbari. They just don't use it for their drives. Maybe it's not that advanced or takes too much energy. Anyway, they certainly have artificial gravity.

Not sure for Narn ships. I don't remember ever seeing someone standing on a Narn ship.

Also note that not all EA ships have gravity. The hyperion for example doesn't have a rotationg section. Since the EA didn't have any technology to generate gravity (besides rotating sections) there surely isn't any gravity on the hyperion.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    When we see the Narns in their ships they look like they are strapped into the seats.

Worf
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Little throwaway lines hint on all this.

Narn ships don't have any gravity, mainly because they can't afford it. Narns don't really invent anything, they just buy it, steal it or whatever. They learned how to fight the Centauri with their own technology, afterall.

Centauri do have artificial gravity, take the line from the minbari war, or something similar "You and the Minbari are two of the older races, with technology like yours we could even the balance". It would also seem clear from Londos expressions in "Rising Star" when discussing with the standing president that they have such gravity systems.

Sheridens reaction wasn't that out of place. He'd only been on a handful of alien ships, and rarely a Minbari one (once before?).

On rotational systems, I really like this idea. I don't know if it's actually possible in reality, but by god I'd love to see something like "Io Transfer Point" for real :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i could be wrong but this is my understanding of the situation:):

Narns: no artificial gravity, as HuntSmacker says they probably couldnt afford it (havent reverse engineered it yet?)

Centauri: do have artificial gravity. i seem to remember from somewhere that the Centauri use a hybrid of the gravitational/magnetic drive system (used by the minbari) and a conventional drive system (as seen on EA ships).

the EA does get artificial gravity on the new Warlock class destroyers as part of the deal for joining the Interstellar Alliance

and the only other time Sheridan had been on a minbari ship was when he was captured and taken aboard one in the earth-minbari war (in the beginning)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The Min and cent ships are powered and pushed by gravametric drives. AS a side effect they get artifical gravity out of it. Both races's ships are big on fins, so it is speculated that the fins are related to the gravity and perpulsion systems in some way. Knock of the fins, they lose gravity. Then people with magnetic boots beem on board and... oh wrong movie.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]and the only other time Sheridan had been on a minbari ship was when he was captured and taken aboard one in the earth-minbari war (in the beginning) [/B][/QUOTE]

Could you indicate which episode demonstrated this? I recall Sinclair being captured and taken aboard...but I don't recall any scene in 'In the Beginning' in which Sheridan was taken aboard a Minbari cruiser?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i could indeed:)

its just after sheridan, franklin G'kar and lennon were on the icecovered listening post planet, which was bombed from orbit by the centari (a vorchan cruiser as i recall). i suppose we dont know for sure its the sharlin they are taken aboard, but we see one enter orbit of the planet, then it cuts to what i assume to be an interior scene, as the architecture of the ship is consistant with any other we have seen. the body of lennon is taken past delenn, then sheridan, franklin and G'kar are hauled into view. they avoid being tortured and killed when sheridan shouts that he knows 'whats in dukats sacred place'

hope u remember the scene im talking about know
  • YEAH!!! That's right! I remember now...thanks!
    ur very welcome:)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    And it's quite possible that it wasn't clear to sheridan that they were brought onto a ship. from his POV, it could have easily been a space station. they probably didn't let him look out of the window on the flight from the planet, where they were picked up (though if they only were shuttled to the ship waiting in orbit... well, then it would be highly doubtfull that he'd think of a space station, as none was there when they landed...)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]i suppose we dont know for sure its the sharlin they are taken aboard, but we see one enter orbit of the planet, then it cuts to what i assume to be an interior scene, as the architecture of the ship is consistant with any other we have seen.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, at least Grey Council chamber have always been in Sharlin when ship has been showed.
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    Re: Narn and Centauri Tech

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B] and the only shot that actually took place ON one of their ships, without having the character strapped into a seat was Londo standing at the window when the Narn homeworld was bombed.) [/B][/QUOTE]
    if i remember right we saw shots from the G'Quan were the cvharacters strapped into the seat in some episodes from season 2
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I think Sheridan probably had more things on his mind than gravity after being captured by the Minbari.

Worf
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    On the contrary, I think the gravity of the situation was foremost on his mind.

Speaking of which, I was just looking at the In the Beginning novelization yesterday and paged through it. I had forgotten how good it was. If you liked the Centauri Prime trilogy, or though In the Beginning fairly screamed "Prequel!" by bouncing about from character to character, do yourself a favor and pick up this book. Rather than simply dropping in, all the characters have their own places throughout the story, rather than one or two spots.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HuntSmacker [/i]
    [B]On rotational systems, I really like this idea. I don't know if it's actually possible in reality, but by god I'd love to see something like "Io Transfer Point" for real :) [/B][/QUOTE]

It is possible in reality. In fact that idea is taken from a real life. It's nothing more than a use of a centrifugal force. Think about a carousel and you get the idea. When you're in a carusel the centrifugal force tries to make you fall off as your body is trying to go straight in one direction, but the carousel prevents that. Thus you feel heavier just as if the gravity was greater than 1G. So there you go... artificial gravity.

In the case of an Omega class ship the rotational section would be doing the same thing trying to make your body to go in one direction, but the wall of the cylinder inside, which serves as a floor, prevents that. Just like in a carousel. So your body sticks to the floor just like if there was gravity. And the faster it rotates, the greater the artificial gravity is and vice versa. :)

Same thing happens to fighterpilots when they make tight turns. Those turns can produce "G's" many times worth of the Earth gravity and pushes you really tightly against the seat. So, that's artifical gravity too. :)

- PJH
  • Anyone know if the rotating section of the Omega in some way creates gravity for the rest of the ship (only way I can think is POSSIBLY a magnetic field)? if not...then the bridge must be located on one of the rotating extensions? If that's the case, I think it would be quite disorienting in battle...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RedAssAg05 [/i]
    [B]Anyone know if the rotating section of the Omega in some way creates gravity for the rest of the ship (only way I can think is POSSIBLY a magnetic field)? if not...then the bridge must be located on one of the rotating extensions? If that's the case, I think it would be quite disorienting in battle... [/B][/QUOTE]

The only place with gravity is in the rotating section. Now the bridge wouldn't have windows for the obviouse reasons, they would use cameras and other such things. Also windows reduce the structural integrity of a ship, they provide weak spots. This way you can stuff the most important part of a ship into the most secure and safe place.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RedAssAg05 [/i]
    [B](only way I can think is POSSIBLY a magnetic field)?[/B][/QUOTE]
    That isn't possible unless everyone have iron boots, because human doesn't have enough iron fro magnets to grab.
    Or have you seen magnet stucking someone's back?
    So what about the "Space Odyssey" like space stations in B5? The entire outer ring rotates, so I'm guesing that section is residential? It's just, looking at the model up close, there doesn't seem to be any direct access to the ring from the "central hanger" in the middle. :confused:

EDIT: Here.

[IMG]http://sectorgame.com/upload/Shot10.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe those small tubes have transport tubes in them, or the gravity is "right in the center" of at the back, behind the hanger?
    I don't have a screengrab from the tv series, so the pic [url=http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/earthallianceshipsandvessels/earthotherships/station.html]here[/url] will have to do.
    As you can see, the struts are thicker, and yes, they would contain elevators or something like that to get to to the outer ring.

if you want to practically try out that gravity simulation concept, take a bucket with water into your each of your hands (not full , but only about half), and start spinning arround. your hands will start to rise, and the the buckets will get up into horizontal possition (depending how fast you rotate), but the water will stay in the buckets.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Actually a varient of the rotationaly created "gravity" (its actually acceleration) will likely be used on a manned mission to Mars. The long journey out will have would cause serious reduction in strength and bone density to the astronauts, creating problems once they get on the ground, even in Mar's lower gravity. Some method of appling force to the body will be needed to keep personel in good physical fitness. I've seen several ideas, such as creating a form of counter balance that deploys and the craft begins to rotate. This happens once the ship stops accelerating.

Jake
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    except one thing, in the episode where they take back earth from President Clarke, they send those telepaths up to all of the ships in orbit around mars so that they can use them to disable the ship.

Presumably the cargo bay is NOT in the rotating section of the ship, yet when those 2 EA guys stumbled in to see the telepath jacked in already they were walking, looked like gravity there.
    maybe they were wearing magnetic boots... ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B]Presumably the cargo bay is NOT in the rotating section of the ship[/B][/QUOTE]

Never presume. It makes a pre out of su and me.

Or something like that....

Anyway, since they were, in fact, walking, that particular cargo bay must have been in the rotating section. I mean, an Omega has a crew ranging from a couple hundred to over a thousand. That rotating section is pretty damned big, large enough to support much more than a thousand people. There must be some amount of space they could use to store extra pens, data crystals, food, and other whatnot that doesn't need to be in long-term storage.
    yeah, it would be a bit of a hassle if u wanted to get some icecream out of storage, but had to float thru loads of storerooms to get it when u could just stick it in the closet down the hall;)
    Out of interest, suppose someone wants to go from a gravity area to a non-gravity area. Since the section rotates, and fairly fast at that, how the heck does one to the other?
    Same question for the way they do it on the Babylon 5 station. And God forbid you wanted to get from rotating section to the other on Babylon 4.

Seriously, I haven't the slightest clue. I'm guessing the center is fortified, which rules out a 2001-style hub transfer.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I would imagine there's pre-defined elevator zones you could take to get there quickly. i.e. The elevator would enter a non-rotating section, slow to a stop, then reverse and enter the other section. Probably wouldn't take more than fifteen seconds.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    anyone have any tech specs?
    btw, just came across an official statement by jms:
    [url=http://www.jmsnews.com/scripts/MsgStore.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetMsg&List=1&Topic=9116&Flags=0&Query=BrowseCmd&QFlags=0&ls=15982&qs=0&qt=0]"Narns are strapped in because they don't have artificial
    gravity, or rotating sections; if they weren't strapped in they'd be
    floating about."[/url]