Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

While we wait for JMS

Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
Since we're waiting for JMS to officially announce his new project and tell us its god damn name, and since we've been trying soooooo hard to get Chris Franke to release those unreleased ITF tracks, I've gone and recreated the Babylon ambient compilation track I first made over 2 years ago. This time round I rebuilt the track using Apple's new music editing package GarageBand. The first release was ok but a bit ropey, the app I used at the time was very buggy and I found it hard to do effective cross fading between segments. GarageBand make its so easy its unreal! (and I mean it GBand seriously rocks, its so easy to make really cool tunes using loops etc, or by plugging in your midi keyboard or electric guitar etc).

The new compilation is slightly longer than the old one, 34.09mins to be exact, as I've added some extra bits. I also changed the positions of some of the music so that they flowed better.

I have 2 versions for download, AAC format (31mb) and MP3 (47mb). The AAC file is encoded at 128kb, the MP3 file at 192kb. You can get the files here:

[url]http://www.nialljulian.co.uk/portfolio/audio.html[/url]

Enjoy! :)

ps I'm sure I've missed some pieces from Chris Frankes collection, I still haven't got all his cd's yet, so what I've chosen is the best from my collection.

Comments

• VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    The link doesn't appear to be working...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    It isn't? Odd have it here right in front of me. I did move to new hosting last week and it did take a bit of time for the dns to transfer. Should be sorted by now really.
  • Vorlon Ambassador KoshVorlon Ambassador Kosh Vorlonforce Officer
    Works for me.
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    Still not working here. It tries to connect for a minute or two, then just drops me to the "Cannot find server" screen....
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I like it. A good choice for the beginning, I might add. That was the music from Delenn's "I should have loved him less and trusted him more." speech from early season 4, right?
  • download of the mp3 worked fine...but would not extract successfully...just got corruption errors.
    Vlad... no idea why you can't see it, anything to do with you ISP I wonder?

David of Mac... cheers :) Yes I have always like that sequence, seemed the perfect choice as it eases in very nicely. I forget actually which one it is, I do have the list written down at home, will post it later actually.

RedAssAg05... your right it does give an error, damn! Ok will see what I can do to fix it. Cheers for pointing it out!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RedAssAg05 [/i]
    [B]download of the mp3 worked fine...but would not extract successfully...just got corruption errors.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Same here.
    Winzip just reported "unexpected end of file".
    In fact when I opened zip, it showed two filenames.
    Otherwise same but second had "." before name and smaller filesize.

BTW Falcon, do you know good (and easy to use) mixing programs for PC?
    There are packages like Pro Tools and Logic out there but they are both high end editing apps. I'm pretty new to this area really but as far as I know there is nothing like GarageBand on the pc. I maybe wrong though but from speaking to friends who've seen GBand work they've said there's nothing that easy out there yet.

I'll get an replacement zip file up on monday... at home now on the modem so can't update anything that big. Well yee could always download the aac version and install iTunes! ;)
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Well yee could always download the aac version and install iTunes! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Or use WinAMP to play it....
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]I'll get an replacement zip file up on monday... at home now on the modem so can't update anything that big.[/B][/QUOTE]
    So have you done that?
    Also did you put compression to maximum, that file is pretty big and slow to download with modem. (well, RAR-compression would also have that recovery system which can correct smaller errors)
    Yeah have just uploaded the replacement zip file. (sorry was busy at work past 2 days didn't get a chance to do it until now) Works fine now. I did try compressing it with Winzip but it only took 1mb off which is not alot. Any since its mp3 its compressed already so won't go much further. I understand its hard to download on a modem, I'm stuck on one at home (T1 line at work though). Probably best to download it using a resume/pause tool.

So all fixed now! Enjoy! :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]BTW Falcon, do you know good (and easy to use) mixing programs for PC? [/B][/QUOTE]

[url=http://audacity.sourceforge.net/]Audacity.[/url]
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Audacity is great :)

• E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B][url=http://audacity.sourceforge.net/]Audacity.[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]
    Does it support selectable positions inside tracks so that it could be possible to start fading out first track and fading in second anywhere inside the track?
    Probably. It seems to do everything right up to the sound of a kitchen sink. :)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Good set. Makes a good listen while working, and not having to pick a selection for 30 minutes. :)

I think I recognise most of the interludes, in one way or another. For those interested:

0:00 - 04:53 - Mostly quiet pieces from Season 5
    04:54 - 06:00 - Death of the president from Chrysalis
    06:01 - 07:35 - Closing music from Chrysalis
    07:36 - 11:12 - Music about the love between Sheriden and Delen.
    11:13 - 13:41 - Dawn of the third age including B5 melody. From "Into the Fire"
    13:42 - 14:55 - Some celebrations.. can't remember which.
    14:56 - 15:52 - Showing the cost of war, Severed Dreams
    15:53 - 20:05 - Favorite part! Don't recall where from. Somewhere in S4?
    20:06 - 23:50 - The Adira/Londo theme. Used in S1 then during Londo's memories of Adira.
    23:51 - 25:32 - Battle for the line, from A Sky Full of Stars. Excellent eppy.
    25:33 - 27:50 - Somewhere in Season 4. I think when Delen leaves for Minbar.
    27:51 - 29:20 - Again from S4 I think.
    29:21 - 34:09 - Music from Sleeping in the Light. Sniff.
    Cheers HuntSmacker.

Yes I must post the list of tracks I used. Will try and remember to do it over the weekend.
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    Ooo.. B5 music.. *adds this to his "must download list*

Biggles. nice Bianca. Stellvia pwns. =D
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    it's pretty nice overall. :D Good job! :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Melkor [/i]
    [B]Biggles. nice Bianca. Stellvia pwns. =D [/B][/QUOTE]

That it does. :)