Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Foundationism

I was just watching "In the shadow of Zha'ha'dum" and started thinking about Franklins religion.

Can anyone explain the basics of that religion?

And what does "Entil'Zha vini" mean?

Thanks in advance.

"We live for the one, we die for the one.
In Valens name!"

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: Foundationism

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ranger 3 [/i]
    [B]"We live for the one, we die for the one.
    In Vakens name!" [/B][/QUOTE]

Who's Vaken? :D
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    "Entil'Zha Veni" is a salute to the spiritual leader of the Rangers, the One (or, if you prefer, Valen/Sinclair, Sheridan, and Delenn). The three-in-One were the only ones to receive the title of entil'zha, while all other leaders of the rangers had the title "Ranger One" or "Anla'Shok Na". So, while all Entil'zhas were Anla'Shok Na, only three Anla'Shok Na's were Enti'zha. It makes a kind of sense if you think about it.

Also, Foundationalism is a mishmash of various traditions from earth religions (including the walkabout, and presumably a lot of others). It accepts the notion that there is a God, but doesn't try to define Him/Her/It. It also seeks to combine what is in common with all the Earth religions (their foundations, if you will). "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and so on.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Re: Re: Foundationism

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Who's Vaken? :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    Vaken is Swedish and means a hole in the ice (where some brave nordic people like to swim in). Ranger 3 must be a very enthusiastic swimmer... :D
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I believe one of the basic tenets of foundationism is that no one religion contains the complete truth about God and that there is some of God's truth revealed in every religion.

Jake
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Kinda makes sense really. Despite being Catholic I've never agreed with Rome's idea of converting everyone on Earth to the Roman Catholic faith. Just will never happen... its human nature to be diverse and it sure would be boring for all of us to believe in the one religion! :) I liked the way JMS made that point in an epsiode of season 1 when Sinclair introduced Delenn to all the different religions of earth... our diversity making us unique.

I find it interesting the symbolic use of the number 3 in B5... sacred to the Minbari, the 3 making up the One. Very similar to Celtic mythology. The number 3 was important to the ancient Celts, along with the numbers 7 and 9. It gets even more interesting when you look at Christianity... the Holy Trinity i.e. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The 3 become One. In Ireland the church used the no 3 to win over the native celtic peoples back in the 6th century... hence the use of the shamrock, 3 leaves representing the holy trinity. Very clever tactic really.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Re: Re: Re: Foundationism

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]Vaken is Swedish and means a hole in the ice (where some brave nordic people like to swim in). Ranger 3 must be a very enthusiastic swimmer... :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    Or he's just awake.
  • I'm just fumble-fingered...

Of course I meant "Valen" (that should be obvious:) )

On a sadder note:

I was just dumped, again...:( (Not that I had any chance, apparently...)

It was just starting up and I find out she has a boyfriend... I found out when I saw the two of them kissing... Isn't that nice...

What do I do wrong? :confused: Why is it that I can never find a girl that likes me?

Granted, I'm only 21 but in those 21 years no-one has ever said "I like you" and meant it that way...:(

I feel like my avatar, "All love is unrequited."

Sorry if I saddened the place but I just feel like I need to get this of my chest...
  • And by the way...

Thnks for the input, Ireally appreciate it.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The basic idea is that the universe and god are the same thing. The universe|god is trying to figure itself out, just like we are. It can also work well with the geia (sp?) hypothesis.
  • Wow

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]The basic idea is that the universe and god are the same thing. The universe|god is trying to figure itself out, just like we are. [/B][/QUOTE]

I like this! This seems to be in line with the rest of B5.
    I think Foundationism is a good religion, I might convert...
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Well, you don't need a religion to strive to find out what the universe is about.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Well, you don't need a religion to strive to find out what the universe is about. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I didn't say that... I just said that if you are looking for a religion you could do worse than Foundationism.
    [B]The basic idea is that the universe and god are the same thing. The universe|god is trying to figure itself out, just like we are. It can also work well with the geia (sp?) hypothesis. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, I think that's closer to what the Minbari (and a very specific group of rubber-suit-monster-loving wackos) believe.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]and a very specific group of rubber-suit-monster-loving wackos believe. [/B][/QUOTE]

Godzilla fans???
    I actually claim it as my religion ;)

(well, I don't see it as a religion, just as a meta-meta theory for viewing reality)
  • Cool!

[B]I actually claim it as my religion ;)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Good for you!
    I would say that this is as close as I will ever get to having a religion of my own.

See me as a mix of Garibaldi and Franklin as far as religions go...

"Entil'Zha vini, in Valens name!"
  • I got it right this time!

In [B]Valens[/B] name...

"We live for the one, we die for the one!"
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Re: I'm just fumble-fingered...

[B]Of course I meant "Valen" (that should be obvious:) )

On a sadder note:

It was just starting up and I find out she has a boyfriend... I found out when I saw the two of them kissing... Isn't that nice...

What do I do wrong? :confused: Why is it that I can never find a girl that likes me?

Granted, I'm only 21 but in those 21 years no-one has ever said "I like you" and meant it that way...:(

Sorry if I saddened the place but I just feel like I need to get this of my chest... [/B][/QUOTE]

A year ago, I was the same. You know my situation now. Trust me, there is someone for you.
  • Thanks man!

[B]Messiah[/B] Thanks for the reassuring words, it means a lot to me.

"Entil'Zha vini, in Va[B]l[/B]en's name!"
    "Valen's", not "Valens". It's possessive, not plural.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    if i had to choose a religion i think i would go with this as well. the idea that the universe is itself alive is somehow rather appealing.

wouldnt it mean tho that the could really be no such thing as fate? i mean, if life is basically one big experiment then it cant really be predetermined can it? it could be influeneced and nudged in certain directions yes (heisenburg uncertainty principle), but if the outcome was fixed then there wouldnt be much point would there.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Re: I'm just fumble-fingered...

[B]Of course I meant "Valen" (that should be obvious:) )

On a sadder note:

Sorry if I saddened the place but I just feel like I need to get this of my chest... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well. I'm 21 next month and so far only one girl has said she loves me. And I dont think she means that for real.

And I could tell you a bunch of crap that's been done to me by girls. No wonder I try to get in shape to get even with the whole gender.
    I'm in the same boat as all of you guys, and I'm 20 *sigh*

Vir said it best
    Londo: "Do you belive in Fate, Vir"
    Vir: "I belive in eddies and currents, you can chose to embrase some, and fight others"

(Paraphrased)