Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

How much cooler can the universe get???

2»

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]ahhh fellas... one tiny flaw in your plans for world domination...

diamonds are expensive for one reason, and one reason only, they are exceptionally rare on this particular rock.

With lets say a consevartive estimate of several million tonnes of gem quality diamonds to choose from...

...they will become passe overnight and 2c to the pound.

that would be cool tho... laser etched diamond dice to roleplay with... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

That's not quite true, either.

Diamonds are expensive because of a certain someone *cough*DeBeers*cough* cornering the market.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Indeed, they are in fact not rare at all. The only thing that keep prices up is that a certain family is hoarding diamonds, and if anyone else tries to sell cheaper, they sell theirs of that particular quality and colour even cheaper.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    that may change with the opening of a second Kimberley region (AU) diamond mine is opened, evidently theyre in the process of tracking down the pipe from which a bunch of alluvials have come from, once they find it and assay it, De-beers may be in deep shit.

anyways, the De-beers thing is moot if someone floods the market.

secondly, you aint exactly right on the quantity stakes.... there are of course cubic assloads of industrial grade diamonds... its the gem quality stuff which is rare, about 1% of the diamonds mined are worth assaying, and of that only 20% is ever cut for jewelery.

its the jewel grade stuff which is pricey and rare.

~~~~

I wonder if diamonds make good lenses for lasers and such.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    They do.