Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

How much cooler can the universe get???

[URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm]Diamond star[/URL]

Ya gotta love that they called it Lucy :D

Comments

• ohhh...

DIBS!!!:D
  • Hmm.. quite a pricetag, I'm guessing.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Awww Luuucyyyyyyy!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:p
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    "Mount Zeus is a single diamond, approximate mass one million, [i]million[/i] tons. Or, if you prefer it that way, about two times ten to the seventeenth carats. But I can't guarantee that it's all gem quality."
    [i]2061: Odyssey Three[/i]
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    Re: How much cooler can the universe get???

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kaluzas revenge [/i]
    [B][URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm]Diamond star[/URL]

Ya gotta love that they called it Lucy :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! I've sometimes thought the stars twinkle like diamonds now some really are! :)

Just wondering from this quote that surely it would break up eventually?!

"Our Sun will become a diamond that truly is forever," says Metcalfe
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]"Mount Zeus is a single diamond, approximate mass one million, [i]million[/i] tons. Or, if you prefer it that way, about two times ten to the seventeenth carats. But I can't guarantee that it's all gem quality."
    [i]2061: Odyssey Three[/i] [/B][/QUOTE]
    I was thinking that quote...too bad it isn't in our solar system ;)

• FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Hmm, would be funny if the first commercial inter-system expedition was to mine diamonds...
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]...inter-system expedition was to mine diamonds... [/B][/QUOTE]
    You mean IPX?:D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    ahhhh sweet!
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Re: How much cooler can the universe get???

[B][URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3492919.stm]Diamond star[/URL]

Ya gotta love that they called it Lucy :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    HAHA!!!!
    Now the problem how to finance my World-Domination-Plans is solved!
    On to solving the problem of financing my Interstellar Spaceship so i can get to that Diamont-asteroid!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Re: Re: How much cooler can the universe get???

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]...that Diamont-asteroid! [/B][/QUOTE]
    It's not asteroid, it's cooled core of died star which has blowed it outer layers to space.
  • [QUOTE][I]Originally posted by MartianDust [/I]

Wow! I've sometimes thought the stars twinkle like diamonds now some really are! Just wondering from this quote that surely it would break up eventually?!

"Our Sun will become a diamond that truly is forever," says Metcalfe[/QUOTE]

Actually, white dwarfs would simply cool continuously until their temperature was on a par with the surrounding space. They are completely inert, and so would actually last forever.

Unless the proton does actually decay.

Or it is part of a binary system, and can expect many exciting novae in the future.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    They are completely inert, and so would actually last forever.
    [B]Unless the proton does actually decay.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, if current theories are right diamond aren't forever, because all matter becomes iron with enough time, and enough time after that all matter has decayed to energy.
  • [QUOTE][I]Originally posted by E.T[/I]
    Well, if current theories are right diamond aren't forever, because all matter becomes iron with enough time, and enough time after that all matter has decayed to energy.[/QUOTE]

It is true that iron is the final element that is achievable through nuclear fusion in very large stars, but that doesnt really apply here, as a white dwarf, by definition, cannot have a mass that exceeds about 1.4 times the solar mass (the Chandrasekhar Limit).
    As for all matter decaying into energy, that is quite conjectural and sooo far into the future that "forever" would be a good approximation ;)
  • WHAT BOOK is the quote in your sig from, Kazula? I want to say The Forever War, but that lasted longer than 1100 years.
  • No, you are right, mate. It is from [I]The Forever War[/I] .

(Pg.249 if you wanna check) :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kaluzas revenge [/i]
    [B]No, you are right, mate. It is from [I]The Forever War[/I] .

(Pg.249 if you wanna check) :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, I guess it just seemed like more than a thousand years :) Good book, by the way.

[Edit]Potato, Potahto, Tomato, Kazula :p
  • [QUOTE][I]Originally posted by the_exile[/I]
    Ah, I guess it just seemed like more than a thousand years Good book, by the way.[/QUOTE]

That'll be good old relativity screwing up your sense of time!

It is an excellent book; in fact, I am currently reading, amongst other things, the sequel [I]Forever Free[/I], which I havent read in about 4 years.

[Edit] I pretended not to notice. Whats a "z" between posters??
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kaluzas revenge [/i]
    [B]That'll be good old relativity screwing up your sense of time!

It is an excellent book; in fact, I am currently reading, amongst other things, the sequel [I]Forever Free[/I], which I havent read in about 4 years.

[Edit] I pretended not to notice. Whats a "z" between posters?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd heard of Forever Peace, but not Forever Free. Will have to pick that up after I finish my current load... (see blog for details).

Hehe
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]I was thinking that quote...too bad it isn't in our solar system ;)

-Φ [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad it isn't in our solar system. Else I think certain political members would be trying to blow it up.

:alien:
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    I kinda want to blow it up.. I just wondered how much fun it would be to take an burnt out star, then bombard it with energy so it was undergoing fission... I know impossible, but still it would be kinda cool, but it would be like having a star go in reverse.. Yes I know fission is inefficent, but hell this is one of those "Im Q and Im going to fuck with this thing because I can" type of ideas :)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Yes I know fission is inefficent, but hell this is one of those "Im Q and Im going to fuck with this thing because I can" type of ideas :) [/B][/QUOTE]
    Bigger problem would be that only fission of heavier elements than iron produce more energy than it requires.

And only supernovas produce those elements and they don't left behind star that would consist from "normal" matter. (black holes and neutron stars)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [B]It is true that iron is the final element that is achievable through nuclear fusion in very large stars, but that doesnt really apply here, as a white dwarf, by definition, cannot have a mass that exceeds about 1.4 times the solar mass (the Chandrasekhar Limit).[/B][/QUOTE]
    I didn't mean normal fusion, I was referring to one of those quantum level phenomenons.

And even biggest stars can convert only tiny amount of it's mass to heaviest elements reachable with fusion.
  • [QUOTE][I]Originally posted by E.T[/I]
    I didn't mean normal fusion, I was referring to one of those quantum level phenomenons.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but I don't think we know enough to say whether an end-state of iron is stable, or whether such "ordinary" matter is destined to collapse either into neutronium or black holes. After all, a requirement for a long enough time for iron to become the dominant state requires an open-universe model, which leaves an infinite amount of time after the fact.
  • you know...this got me thinking...

with God's sence of humor...

somewhere, out there, there is a solid gold planet....

4-5 times the size of jupitor, with a gravitational pull so great no human, nor man made object, can land there to mine.

:D
  • Or maybe even a planet of purest [I]Green[/I] !

-Sorry, have been watching Blackadder II a lot recently :D
    No!! A pure planet of PURPLE! :p

I like the idea of a gold planet though!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]you know...this got me thinking...

with God's sence of humor...

somewhere, out there, there is a solid gold planet....

4-5 times the size of jupitor, with a gravitational pull so great no human, nor man made object, can land there to mine.

:D [/B][/QUOTE]

The great thing about that is that because noone could mind it, it'd always be around for people to see properly. :)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]4-5 times the size of jupitor, with a gravitational pull so great no human, nor man made object, can land there to mine.
    :D [/B][/QUOTE]
    Getting down to surface wouldn't be problem, being there and getting up to orbit would be problem.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    ahhh fellas... one tiny flaw in your plans for world domination...

diamonds are expensive for one reason, and one reason only, they are exceptionally rare on this particular rock.

With lets say a consevartive estimate of several million tonnes of gem quality diamonds to choose from...

...they will become passe overnight and 2c to the pound.

that would be cool tho... laser etched diamond dice to roleplay with... :D