Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Galactica News

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
Here you go:

[url]http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-02/03/14.00.sfc[/url]

Options picked up, no "official" word on series commit.

Odd way of playing the cards...they're probably finalizing the per-episode budget, or some such thing.

-R.

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I think with the rumors floating around now on many entertainment-news-sites, it's probably the best way for them to handle it.

And I too think that they are working out the details. Hopefully there will be final news soon :)
  • [URL=http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=televisionNews&storyID=4274507]Reuters Article[/URL]

I think it's safe to ass-u-me it's a go. :)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE]with production estimates as high as $1.5 million per episode[/QUOTE]
    :eek:
    I would like to know what kind of result there could have been if they would have had that much of money to make B5.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i dont think it would have made much overall difference really. i think it would have just been bells and whistles, like a cgi view of the core instead of the painting in sheridens office, or a rotating starfield in c&c
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]:eek:
    I would like to know what kind of result there could have been if they would have had that much of money to make B5. [/B][/QUOTE]

Weren't they complaining about Farscape costing 1 million per episode to produce?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Yeah, but there was also the issue where they didn't actually [i]own[/i] Farscape. Is the same true for BSG?
    Universal Owns BSG.
    SciFi is owned byUniversal
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Yeah, but there was also the issue where they didn't actually [i]own[/i] Farscape. Is the same true for BSG? [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm...Scifi does own Farscape. They paid for the damn thing, and own all rights to it.
    Wrong. Sci-fi owned (past-tense) the [i]airing[/i] rights, but the show wasn't theirs. The show belongs to Jim Henson Company. Thus, Jim Henson gets all the revenue from merchandise (t-shirts, keychains) and video (DVD) sales. Sci-fi doesn't get a single penny of any of that; the only place Sci-fi ever got money from Farscape was by selling advertising time during the show, but they still had to pay half of the production costs. [i]That's[/i] why they complained about the cost of Farscape.

With BSG, however, if Universal owns both Sci-fi and the show itself, Sci-fi doesn't have to worry so much about recouping losses spent on producing the show. All the money ends up going to Universal/Vivendi (HATE HATE HATE), anyway.
  • WHOW....Farscape cost one mil and episode, and it STILL looked that cruddy?!?

amazing....:eek:
    Stop trolling, A2597.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Farscape was always beautiful. They had some amazing lighting and CGI, and still incredible muppet-like characters
    Farscape just looked incredible; always excellent.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]WHOW....Farscape cost one mil and episode, and it STILL looked that cruddy?!?

amazing....:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

The original BSG costs were the same, and they had to re-use footage all the time. :rolleyes:
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Farscape was always beautiful. They had some amazing lighting and CGI, and still incredible muppet-like characters [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, remember I,ET and the bit with Moya "landing"? Simply AMAZING.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]The original BSG costs were the same, and they had to re-use footage all the time. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]
    At the time, it was the most expensive TV show ever, and i've read somewhere, that if you'd convert it into the current dollar value, it would be something like 3 million dollar per episode! (still, there are some of the best modellshots i've seen in there, some of the viper shots are just brilliantly beautiful)
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Battlestar Gaglactica.

Couldn't resist. :p :D

- PJH
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]Battlestar Gaglactica.

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

WE MUST PROTECT THE GAGLACTICA FROM THE MIGHTY CYLOON EMPIRE!!!
    (or was it Bicycloon?)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]At the time, it was the most expensive TV show ever[/B][/QUOTE]

Where most of that was spent on the visual effects. If you looked at the sets, it looks like they just slapped apple II E systems into the panels and ran a screen saver. ;) Same thing with Farscape. GREAT CGI, but they skimped a little on the sets. However, given that Farscape was mainly to push more Henson anamatronics into mainstream media, I'd say it was justified.

A#### just seems to have it engrained in his head that just because a show has a budget of $1 million automatically mean that the set and everything is going to look top notch. He forgets that most of that goes into wages and graphical effects.

However, if A#### had bothered to watch the entire show upto say...season 3, he'd notice there was a dramatic improvement in not only set design, but CGI as well.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Where most of that was spent on the visual effects. If you looked at the sets, it looks like they just slapped apple II E systems into the panels and ran a screen saver. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

not only that, but they used the same "radar garaphic" over and over, and only in episode 13 (or something) they actually made a second radar display... :)
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]Battlestar Gaglactica.

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

You dare to summon the mighty Battlestar Gaglactica???!?!?

I'm guessing that Warleader let the llort out?

("who let the llort out? woot...wooot..woot...)

;)

-R
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]You dare to summon the mighty Battlestar Gaglactica???!?!?[/B][/QUOTE]

Beware the warth of Rick.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Under the warth of Rick I must apologize for Battlestar Gaglactica. :D

- PJH
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Beware the warth of Rick. [/B][/QUOTE]

And the Groove. Don't forget to beware of that.....and that little known thing called the Ides of March. ;)
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    AHH! Don't mention the Ides of March... My 5000 word inquiry essay is due that day...

...the Groove...!