Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

FarCry Demo is out...

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
Ripped from [url]http://www.BluesNews.com[/url]

(no worries, I know Steve)...

[quote]
[b]Far Cry SP Demo [January 21, 2004, 10:41 am EST] - 64 Comments[/b]
The single-player demo for Far Cry is now available, released a little earlier than originally planned because it was prematurely leaked. The demo is a staggering download, available at 465 MB with the DirectX installer removed on 3D Gamers, Adrenaline Vault, and Doupe.cz; while the 496 MB version with DX9 included is on 3D Downloads, ActionTrip, AusGamers (registration required), Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, Happy Puppy (registration required), IGN, Loadedinc, and Worthplaying. Word from Ubisoft on this is: "The single-player demo offers an action-packed glimpse into the Far Cry world showcasing all the technically-advanced gameplay and jaw-dropping scenes from the full version of the game. Featuring a huge beach-laden level, the demo proudly showcases Far Cry's critically-acclaimed CryENGINE, huge game environments, deadly A.I., and the longest view-distance ever witnessed in a first-person shooter."
[/quote]

If you haven't heard about it, this is the game engine that looks just as, if not more, impressive than Doom3 or HL2...it uses LOD not only on the models, bust the landscape, and line of site view distance is well over half a mile...

In simpler words, "it looks sweet..."

-R.

Comments

• I enjoyed watching the terabytes counter at a site...filehell or something. it was going at near a gig a minute. :D

THe bittorrent is the best bet for downloads though. at a steady 24K a sec.

some people are getting over 100K a sec at some sites though
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    I set mine up to download off one of the lesser travellled sites before leaving for work this morning. Hopefully it will be done once I get home in 3-4 hours. :)

-R.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    What's the game about?
  • no clue. but it looks purdo from the screens...85% done now...1 hours left
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    eye candy is one thing, smart AI is another...

but it aint shit without a freakin story...

I'm sick and tired of the runkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkill....
  • ok...from what I gather you run a charter service, and some girl hires you to take her to an island ASAP on your boat. you drop her off, and as you are leaving your boat is destroyed by RPG fire. your now trapped on this island with only your knife and wits to save you, and get yourself, and the girl, off the island and away from whoever the militants are that are trying to kill you.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    I just saw this on Fileplanet this evening, so I'm gonna be setting up my download once the traffic goes down on the site. Just wish I had something faster than a 56k modem. 3.*k a second isn't fun :(
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]eye candy is one thing, smart AI is another...

but it aint shit without a freakin story...

I'm sick and tired of the runkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkillrunkill.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Watch the movies on FarCry's website ([url]http://www.farcry-thegame.com/uk[/url]).

Great story idea
    It starts just as A2597 said, then gets darker when you learn that there's a secret genetic research facility on one of the islands, run by a company of "questionable ethics". It goes Dr. Moreau from there.

Fantastic AI
    Finally, AI that actually seeks cover, and has a heirchy/chain of command. . You can evade,, snipe, or take out the "squad leader" to throw the adversary into disarray.

Next Generation Engine.
    check out [url]www.crytek.com.[/url] Unbelievable. They even use the LOD paradigm on ground details (shrubbery) to make the detail one up on anything else out there. Real time lighting, fog effects, and well over a half mile line-of-sight. The editor has me drooling. You literally "paint" bushes, trees, characters, and topography onto the map. You can play the map *in the editor.* Additionally, the interface looks intuitive and powerful.

I think that this may well be the first game where camoflage makes an actual *difference* in gameplay.

The physics appear similar to what we see in Half-Life2, Doom, with the "fun factor" of Halo tossed in.

Want to see more?

Official site: [url]http://www.farcry-thegame.com/uk[/url] - Tons of AVIs, all worth watching.

Leading fan site: [url]http://www.farcryhq.com/[/url] - Good news and background sourse on the engine and it's development.

Personally, I see a sleeper hit potential here. Not trying to sell the game, but it's impressed me...something that is not exactly an easy thing to do.

[i]Tyco:[/i] If you don't have it, get [b]Download Accelerator[/b] off download.com (or similar site): it will, at the very least, maximize the D/L bandwidth of that modem of yours, plus it has autoresume in the event that you lose connection mid-way. Basically, it opens multiple ftp/http connections such that you can overcome any d/l choke limits that the site or your ISP put on your account.

-R.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Re: FarCry Demo is out...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]If you haven't heard about it, this is the game engine that looks just as, if not more, impressive than Doom3 or HL2...[/B][/QUOTE]

SO what you're saying RIck is that it's a Far Cry from Doom 3 or HL2 ? :p
    Damn...I can never find that thermonuclear Fwapp(tm) when I need it... ;)

-R.
  • I get over 100kbps from FileShack (despite their claims that the free servers cap there) every time... generally a little under 200kbps. From most sites, I average around 400kbps. Took me 1 minutes, 30 seconds to download Flash MX...

And Far Cry looks pretty good... it's one of those games that doesn't have a fanbase to back it up, so it had better do damn well, and get stellar ratings, or no one's going to buy it :(
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    From what I can see on the site, it reminds me of Midwinter.

I will have to download it when I get home.

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [url=http://www.livejournal.com/users/sanfam/]My Review is Here[/url]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    also, 9.89 Megabytes per second! YAY INTERNAL NETWORK!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    AAArgh!! I need a new computer...or atleast a ATI radeon 9800 pro.
  • Good god! After 5 minutes on Boomtown it was still figuring out the file's size, and was only at 28Mb... DEFINETELY trying something else.
  • WHOW....just finished the demo...

This game, absolutly, ROCKS...

the graphics are absolutly STUNNING!

forget Doom3, THIS is my next game!!!

(Unless HL2 comes out first)

My little review:

Graphics: Many people don't relize the default graphic settings are low. I tuned it up, and it looked like a cross between HL2 and Doom3. it was stunning to see, and photorealistic at times. Peoples mouths move to their dialouge, water distorts the image under it, birds, fish, pigs, etc can all be seen, EXCELLENT physics, bump and spectacular mapping, WOW.

AI: absolutly incredible, I've never seen AI this good, they actually take cover, you can confuse them, and they are DERN hard to sneak up on! even on easy! On hard...forget it. I took five tries to get past the first island, mainly because I knew I would need health later on, so I restarted. first two tries, I was killed, once by getting shot while I was hiding under the deck. They WILL hunt you down. if you use the sniper rifle, they will travel across the entire map to get you. they are GOOD.

Playstyle:

This is the BEST kind of FPS, a thinking mans FPS. as I stated, the AI is great, meanin don't even THINK about head on attacks. even while I was hiding I would get spotted. No run and gun here, this makes HL1 look pathetic. on top of this, it is just FUN to play. I take it back, UbiSoft CAN make a good game, its name if FarCry.

Overall: 9/10

the cons I had:
    it crashed on me once, no reason.
    fish acting funny at times
    the grass...it all faces the exact same way. for petes sake level devs, ROTATE IT TO SEPERATE ANGLES.

but this is a MUST HAVE game for all FPS fans now.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    You mentioned a bittorrent link; mind posting that?
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    looked good, reminded me about an old Amiga game called HUNTER where you could pilot everything from helicopters, boats, tanks to bikes on and between islands.
  • so...when is it coming out? :D :) :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]You mentioned a bittorrent link; mind posting that? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that'd be nice...
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    3D Gamers had a bittorrent link. Now don't I wish bittorrent worked through the University's firewall...Anyone know how to change the ports it listens to?

[URL=http://www.3dgamers.com/torrents/games/farcry/demofarcry.zip.torrent]3D Gamer's Bittorrent Link[/URL]

• Garr! I was doing 14kbps on BT... so I tried FileShack again. It actually took less time to download it, than to get a download slot! The game took about 45 minutes on my connection (the window said an hour and a half, but it LIES, I kept track of the time), after I waited in line for just under an hour.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Why don't subscribe on pelit([url]www.pelit.fi[/url]) and you can download with full speed from their server. :)
  • WOW. Severely underimpressed. The game was fairly solid on my rig, probably averaging about 40fps with maxed settings. After spending several minutes configuring the friggin' control scheme (I'm left handed), I got in, and was rather impressed by what I saw; the foliage looked realistic, the water (while not nearly as good as what I've seen of HL2 water) was purdy, and the boat controls good. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. This is probably just me, but the guns look way too... wide. It was disconserting to be using them. Second... the foliage looks terrible up-close. The grass looked decent, but the 2D vines and static bushes got rather annoying after a while. The first rock I saw, I approached cautiously... the messed-up shadows made it look like some kind of amorphous blob, that might have been moving. The enemy had some interesting conversations, but they didn't last long, because I found it rather easy to run-and-gun on anything less than the highest difficulty level. Enemies called out commands to their allies, and threw grenades, but it was a simple matter of dodging the grenades, and gunning down the slow-to-fire enemies; they never really survived long enough for me to check out their AI, until I got to the "temple" ruins. There, they ran back and forth behind a railing, firing at me while I sniped them with my M4. Enemies killed on stairs have this strange habit of sliding down the stairs in a manner that is more akin to gliding than tumbling.

As for the plot... I HATE how you have that other guy helping you. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. I really wish you were alone, fending for yourself.

I know it's only an early demo, but I hope this game improves.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]so...when is it coming out? :D :) :D [/B][/QUOTE]

According to Ubi: March 15.

They started "invite-only" outside MP beta testing last week.

-R.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]According to Ubi: March 15.
    -R. [/B][/QUOTE]

Whee the "Et tu, Brute" - / Me' birthday. Might consider keeping this in mind for that, then. :)

To those that don't know a monkey's spank worth what I'm talking about: Julius Caesar was assassinated on The Ides Of March (March 15th) in 44BC.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    FYI: I downloaded it at 50k/s from [url]ftp://ftp.multiplay.co.uk/pub/games/fps/farcry/demos/win32/farcry_spdemo.exe[/url] using an FTP client rather then a browser...its better then most if you don't have Torrent.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]WOW. Severely underimpressed. The game was fairly solid on my rig, probably averaging about 40fps with maxed settings. After spending several minutes configuring the friggin' control scheme (I'm left handed), I got in, and was rather impressed by what I saw; the foliage looked realistic, the water (while not nearly as good as what I've seen of HL2 water) was purdy, and the boat controls good. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. This is probably just me, but the guns look way too... wide. It was disconserting to be using them. Second... the foliage looks terrible up-close. The grass looked decent, but the 2D vines and static bushes got rather annoying after a while. The first rock I saw, I approached cautiously... the messed-up shadows made it look like some kind of amorphous blob, that might have been moving. The enemy had some interesting conversations, but they didn't last long, because I found it rather easy to run-and-gun on anything less than the highest difficulty level. Enemies called out commands to their allies, and threw grenades, but it was a simple matter of dodging the grenades, and gunning down the slow-to-fire enemies; they never really survived long enough for me to check out their AI, until I got to the "temple" ruins. There, they ran back and forth behind a railing, firing at me while I sniped them with my M4. Enemies killed on stairs have this strange habit of sliding down the stairs in a manner that is more akin to gliding than tumbling.

As for the plot... I HATE how you have that other guy helping you. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. I really wish you were alone, fending for yourself.

I know it's only an early demo, but I hope this game improves. [/B][/QUOTE]

You will be alone in the full game. that guy helping you is just for the demo, so you know what your supposed to do.

the AI for some is great, and horrible for others. myelf, once the AI spotted me, if I wasn't in full cover, 2-3 shots = DEAD...meaning bye bye me. I HAD to be careful, run and gunning was suicide.

I've also noticed some other bad stuff...BAD FPS for some people, and people with a simuler rig get 100+

This game is a load of fun though, provided the AI works for you.

also, there is a water fix that VASTLY improves the quality of the water...available somewhere. and an "Ultimate AI" setting from another hack available. might try those out.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I have the low fps problem :(

Worf