Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

NASA retiring Hubble...

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
A sad day, indeed. It seems that NASA is retiring the Hubble as a consequence of Bush's new space initiative. Apparently all of the shuttle flights between now and 2010 (Shuttle's retirement date) need to be taken to support finishing ISS; consequently, needed maintenance won't happen to Hubble, and her orbit will degrade.

A replacement is planned for the early 201x's.

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/16/tech/main593826.shtml[/url]

-R.

Comments

• An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Maybe... maybe not.

Hubble would be retired if Bush is reelected and Congress goes along with his plans (neither of which is a sure bet at this point). If neither or only one of those conditions is met then there might be a chance that the cancelled servicing missions could take place anyway. Of course, we could end up with a Democratic President who might not give a damn about Hubble or NASA in general (in which case the above would be moot; needless to say, I hope that isn't what happens).

We shall see...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It's not that the shuttle missions need to all be taken to support the ISS, it's that NASA is now required to have shuttles either capable of making it to the ISS in case of trouble, or have a second shuttle ready to go immediatly in case of trouble when doing non-ISS missions. Unfortunately, the shuttle doesn't carry enough fuel to be able to get from Hubble's orbit to the ISS orbit.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    eh... thats what droptanks are for..:D

surely they could add some juice to a tank stored in the cargo bay area

not much a space Ute if it cant carry a 44 of petrol in the back along with the dog and the fencing wire..:D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]eh... thats what droptanks are for..:D

surely they could add some juice to a tank stored in the cargo bay area[/B][/QUOTE]
    So that it could use fuel in cargo bay's extra tank to get near Hubble and then drop it and there would still have full internal tanks when grabbing Hubble?
    Interesting.

I think that main engines (which use LH and LOX) are used only when shuttle is rising to orbit.
    (LH and LOX are also cryogenic fuels which cannot be stored long time without isolated tanks and high pressure)

Orbital maneuvering rockets use hypergolic propellants (monomethyl hydratzine as fuel and nitrogen tetroxide as oxidiser) which are very toxic and corrosive. (and ignite immediately when contacting each other)
    So those would be also security risk.

[url]http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/missile/basics.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/nasafact/count2.htm[/url]

If I remember right after Challenger destruction safety instructions were changed also in that way that it's prohibited to take cargo with rockets using LH and LOX propellants.
    That was also reason for Galileo's long detour (and tripled flight time) for getting to Jupiter orbit.
    Bacause of solid propellant rockets have smaller efficiency and power than rockets using liquid propellants.
    (and from liquid propellants LH and LOX are most efficient, most power per weight)
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    im sure everything you can think of they thought of it also and have dismissed for any number of reasons

and the hubble wont be done till around 2011 anyway, they arent going to service it anymore.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]and the hubble wont be done till around 2011 anyway, they arent going to service it anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]
    What if something starts failing, like gyroscopes controlling attitude, after that it becames useless.
    In fact one service mission was moved forward because those gyroscopes were failing. (only one of them was working before that mission)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]and the hubble wont be done till around 2011 anyway, they arent going to service it anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]

It was due for decommisioning in 2010, and that was with a servicing mission in 2006. That servicing mission has been canceled, so it's unlikely it'll get to 2010 now.
    so there basically ending the mission a little earlier then they thought.
    Just a tad.
    I was just thinking. That the hubble mission ending is not because of Bush, its because of the columbia accident and the new protocols sent down by the investigation team. Having a shuttle standby because the ship wasnt going to the ISS would be way to costly, even before the increase. just saying.
  • bah...let it die. it's done a great job....but...

lets let it die, so we can get an even bigger one up there!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!!!
    We're going to (hopefully) get the better one anyway. Hubble's lifetime will have no effect on that.
  • JWST with 6,5-meter primary mirror made of beryllium will be a worthy replacement. I guess they will use beryllium also in the 45-meter mirror for OWL (Overwhelmingly Large Telescope). It would be technically possible to grow the telescope from 45 meters in 2012 to 70 meters in 2013, and 100 meters by 2014.
  • Even during the downtime, we'll still have Chandra in orbit.
    And the latest one that went online just over a month ago, who's name escapes me.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]JWST with 6,5-meter primary mirror made of beryllium will be a worthy replacement.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Downside of this telescope is that it can't be serviced so if anything breaks, it can't be fixed.
    (because it won't be positioned to earth orbit)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]Downside of this telescope is that it can't be serviced so if anything breaks, it can't be fixed.
    (because it won't be positioned to earth orbit) [/B][/QUOTE]
    Correct. It'll be positioned to the Langrange point 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, where gravitational forces of the Sun and Earth cancel each other out.
  • Mr.GaribaldiMr.Garibaldi Earthforce Officer
    yeah Hubble will basically be decomissoned a [I]few[/I] years ahead of schedule... oh well in sure the NEW space telescope will kick ass. Plus we will finally escape late 1970s technology and create a modern lifting vehicle! I really think NASA needed a quick in the pants to get them out of this rut they got into. America is THE leader in space technology and it is important to ensure it stays that way... sorry Canada... you can still make the robotic arms for us! :robot:
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I really wish they weren't so much for dropping it into the ocean. I would give so much to see it in person, on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Oh man, that would be uber
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I really wish they weren't so much for dropping it into the ocean. I would give so much to see it in person, on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum... [/B][/QUOTE]

So would a very large number of other people, including myself.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I really wish they weren't so much for dropping it into the ocean. I would give so much to see it in person, on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum... [/B][/QUOTE]

Until you died from the toxic space microbes it brought back... :p

;) :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]And the latest one that went online just over a month ago, who's name escapes me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Setzer, which is trailing the Earth's orbit a few million miles (can't remember how far). It also happens to be an infrared telescope, so it has to be kept near absolute zero using liquid helium. The coolant will run out in five years or so, at which point it basically just becomes a floating piece of space junk.
    It also makes use of its solar panels to shade the main body from the sun.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I'd like to see the shuttle with some solar sails.... massive sheets of monomer a few microns thick... to catch the solar winds...

somebody should experiment with such things
    They'd never do anything for the shuttle without being absolutely huge. The shuttle is too big and heavy, and it stays too close to the gravity well.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]I'd like to see the shuttle with some solar sails.... massive sheets of monomer a few microns thick... to catch the solar winds...[/B][/QUOTE]
    I don't want to spoil your joy but there's only one "little" problem:
    Solar sails work only to away from sun, so it would be one way ticket.
    [url]http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/20/1521218.shtml?tid=134&tid=160[/url]
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Coolness. Placing hubble a few 100 metres off of ISS in the same orbit would be grand. :)
    I'd even be happy with just storing it in a higher orbit until we have a new vehicle that can go grab it and bring it home. :)