Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 Season 3 DVD's

Just the other day I treated myself to the DVD Season 3 box set of Babylon 5. While I'm generally happy so far, I see what seems to be a glitch that occasionally appears and I'm wondering if its some problem thats common to the whole set, or just my DVD.

An example was, watching 'Voices of Authority', when Draal's hologram appears in the War council room, the picture is fine, when it pans over to a shot of two or three folk sitted at the table the picture is kinda fuzzy. When there's another shot it's ok, but just certain parts of the transfer seem a wee bit fuzzy.

Now if its as occasional as it appears I'm not too bothered, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Comments

• samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    Re: Babylon 5 Season 3 DVD's

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anla'Shok Douglas Nicol [/i]
    [B]Just the other day I treated myself to the DVD Season 3 box set of Babylon 5. While I'm generally happy so far, I see what seems to be a glitch that occasionally appears and I'm wondering if its some problem thats common to the whole set, or just my DVD.

An example was, watching 'Voices of Authority', when Draal's hologram appears in the War council room, the picture is fine, when it pans over to a shot of two or three folk sitted at the table the picture is kinda fuzzy. When there's another shot it's ok, but just certain parts of the transfer seem a wee bit fuzzy.

Now if its as occasional as it appears I'm not too bothered, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. [/B][/QUOTE]

What you're seeing is probably the film grain of the cropped CGI/composite shots.

While the live-action footage for each episode was filmed in widescreen, any shot containing CGI (this includes shots that are entirely CGI as well as live-action shots that are enhanced with CGI composite effects or other effects like PPG bursts or holograms) had to be cropped.

Because the composite/CGI scenes are cropped, the film is grainier (you're essentially "zoomed in" on that scene") and looks fuzzy when compared to an uncropped true widescreen shot.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    You get the same effect whenever [i]any[/i] type of graphical effect comes into play, whether it be PPG fire, bluescreen effects, or even [i]credits[/i].

You'd think they could at least redo the [i]credits[/i]....
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Don't forget fading transitions. Be it fade to black for a commercial break, fade to white for a flashback, or fade to the next shot for a jump cut. They'll all be fuzzy and grainy
  • Damn, I've had to return the box set since during the episode 'Dust to Dust' about 19 minutes 10 seconds into the episode, the picture and sound started breaking up... :mad:
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Were the discs scratched? Or did you get the sound & image breaking-up's regardless?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]Were the discs scratched? Or did you get the sound & image breaking-up's regardless? [/B][/QUOTE]

The discs were fine, the second set did the exact same.

I put the disc in my PS2 and played it and it went fine, so I guess its a disc that my DVD player just doesn't like.

It's about 3 or 4 years old now, an old Samsung 807, and it gets heavy use, so its possible that it might be needing replaced soon.

Certain DVD's just won't play in it without something happening.

Independence Day, The Abyss, and Planet of the Apes (new version) won't play without skipping, and now this problem.

Anyone know of a decently priced region free, or region hackable DVD player?
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Well...[URL=http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009QH6M/qid=1072888072/sr=2-3/ref=sr_aps_prod_3_1/028-0522287-1578162]this[/url] seems rather interesting. Pretty cheap too, don't know if you talk about quality though. Usually a price tag of this sort comes with some drawbacks.

Then again, you never know.
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    My seas3 dvds work fine although disc 3 had trouble loading when it was first put in but now that works fine aswell.