Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Another box defect in S3 R2 DVD?

I got my copy today and surprise surprise, the same thing happened that has happened to a whole lot of people. Discs 3 & 5 had come loose in the box and were scratched beyond use. The crew at Amazon.de immediately posted a replacement today but still makes me wonder, this has happened to too many people (discs 3 & 5) that I live in fear now... ;)

So, anyone here with the same problem? Discs coming loose? Just out of curiosity, I've so far heard of ONE bloke that got the pack with all discs intact. The rest of you?

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    From what I've seen, it's a major flaw in the design. It's not limited to just one season, but apparently, small flaws in how it's formed can lead to really serious problems later. My S1 box set has been abusing Disc 4 repeatedly. I was considering buffing it up with some foam or slightly deforming the top section to increase tension, but no idea if it'd work or not.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [url]http://216.93.162.5/content.php?contentid=6031[/url]

I'm starting to wonder who is that ameba who designed this box and who's that big shot who accepted it!
    (yeah, I know: I'm insulting amebas)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I present: A comparison of the R1 and R4 retainer mechanisms:

[url]http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jlbiggs/images/105_0565.JPG[/url]
    [url]http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jlbiggs/images/105_0566.JPG[/url]

The region 1 box is the top one (season 3), while the region 4 box is the bottom one. Notice how the region 4 box has my favorite kind of retainer, the kind that is a clip that actually holds above and below the disc, but is perfectly easy to get out without bending the disc at all because you push it in the centre to pop up the two clips. The region 1 box, on the other hand, has the annoying retainer that relies simply on the disc hole being slightly smaller than the retainer itself for grip. Pathetic. Fortunately, mine didn't come loose on the way here from the US, but I much prefer the region 4 retainers on all DVDs.
  • cornholio1980cornholio1980 Earthforce Officer
    I got the same problem :(

I think that this is due to the new DVD-holders, which are much stronger and have more edges then with the 2 boxes before. So while it happened sometimes that DVD's in the boxes 1 or 2 were lose, they weren't scratched that bad, because of the "softer" packaging.

Now it seems that Warner wanted to do something against the lose discs. Unfortunately, there seems to have been a problem with the packaging machine, resulting in most of the discs 3 and 5 being lose again, but this time also getting terribly scratched because of the harder packaging that was intendet to PREVENT the discs from getting lose... :(

I can only recommend everyone to return the box to amazon.de, aks for refund, and go to the local retailer, and get the box there. The best thing would be to talk to an employee and ask him if you could open the box in front of him in order to make sure that it's ok, but since most of those people are usually rather poorly informed, he probably won't allow that. So just buy the box, and as soon as you left the shop, open up the box and check the DVD's. If their scratched, go right into the shop, and exchange the box. Sooner or later you should get a box that is ok... I hope :rolleyes:

FAITH MANAGES
    cornholio1980

PS: Please excuse my bad englisch, I'm out of practice ;)
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Ahh... great. So the replacement that's on the way is most probably scratched as well. Unless I get unbelievably lucky and receive a mint condition set, I'll return that one too, take the refund and just wait for a few months 'til they get a set that actually has good holders. Bummer. Might as well probably wait all the way until the S4 is released and buy them at the same time... Don't think I'll be able to wait that long, though... :p

Biggles: I like the pics of those R4 holders, we don't get anything like that here in the R2 -land. ;)
  • Hmm... That one package must be mine. Heck, guess I'm lucky. (Siellä pelitin foorumeilla siis...):rolleyes:
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Doesn't look good! :confused:
    [url]http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.php?t=15317&page=12&pp=30[/url] (no, it isn't encrypted, it's finnish page)

Everyone are saying that there's scratched discs on their boxes.
  • Okay, after reading those DVD plaza forums I know that there are now two Season 3 boxsets that are in excellent condition, mine and someones who's registered there... Hmm.. thinking of it, 2 good boxsets out of.. how much... 4000 delivered? That doesn't sound too good.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    I want designer's and his boss' heads on a plate and now! :angryv: :angryv:

I got my UK-box today:
    They have already added same kind of plastic like in bubble packs to between "pages" in some point of "chain".
    But there was no cushion with outermost discs and of course disc six was free and is scratched!
    (And what little I've checked it, there's at least few pauses in video at certain points)

And disc retainer is also that kind disc are very hard to get off from it. (at least without fearing disc will crack to pieces) :angryv:
  • Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    I ordered my R2 Season 3 from Finnish online store and got email from them yesterday. It said that only three boxes were completely fine and all others had at least disc 3 with scratches. They didn't post defect boxes at all so now I have to wait mine until WB delivers good season boxes which may take some time :(.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    I called to shop where I ordered my box and they said that from 200 boxes they had ordered half had at least one free and scratched disc when they checked them.
    (and many boxes had had three to five free and scratched discs)

It's obvious that Warner used delay between R1 and R2 only to design box that will let discs free and scratch them.
    And that's inexcusable!
    :angryv:
    Babylon 5 deserves better treatment from Warner than this fiasco!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GeoKuutio [/i]
    [B]Hmm... That one package must be mine. Heck, guess I'm lucky. (Siellä pelitin foorumeilla siis...):rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yup, you're the one. I hope you applied for the lottery too, it seems like your week. :D

But anyways, most likely now it seems that unless I get as lucky as you did, I'll be posting the replacement back to Amazon.de and will prolly wait for a month or two to get a decent box. As the Germans so eloquently put it: Scheisse!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]And disc retainer is also that kind disc are very hard to get off from it. (at least without fearing disc will crack to pieces) :angryv: [/B][/QUOTE]
    And addition to that:
    After you get disc off from holders few times, discs wont't stay in them after that!

So Warner used this delay to make really piss-poor job!
    I have many double-DVD cases (for example Armageddon SE) which have normal thickness, so that "second" DVD's holder is very thin and still those are working extremely well, so why is it that Warner can't make working solution? I wonder!
    (might it be that they have too many overpaid big shots, like tends to be case in big companies/organizations?)
  • At least for single discs WB seem to be be finally ditching the crappy cardboard clip cases, but the B5 boxes aren't too hot. I remember my Planet of the Apes movie box set had a similiar problem.
    [B]so why is it that Warner can't make working solution?[/B][/QUOTE]

Well that's just the thing. As my earlier post illustrates, the region 4 sets are perfect.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [B]I have many double-DVD cases (for example Armageddon SE) which have normal thickness, so that "second" DVD's holder is very thin and still those are working extremely well...[/B][/QUOTE]
    Here are pictures that I taked from case:
    [url=http://koti.mbnet.fi/tuunaes/DVDcase/case.jpg][img]http://koti.mbnet.fi/tuunaes/DVDcase/case_s.jpg[/img][/url]
    [url=http://koti.mbnet.fi/tuunaes/DVDcase/disc_holder.jpg][img]http://koti.mbnet.fi/tuunaes/DVDcase/disc_holder_s.jpg[/img][/url]

Maybe we should send these pictures to Warner for studying.
    Does anyone know their e-mail adress?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles[/i]
    [B]The region 1 box, on the other hand, has the annoying retainer that relies simply on the disc hole being slightly smaller than the retainer itself for grip. Pathetic. Fortunately, mine didn't come loose on the way here from the US[/B][/QUOTE]
    And after a little use this kind of retainer doesn't hold discs on their place.
    So everyone with these boxes will have this problem (and scratched discs) after awhile.

The least Warner should do now would be to make new working boxes for us with this piece of crap box-design.
  • All of my disks were loose, but none of them were scratched at all, the disks were in reverse order though :P (somebody goofed at packaging probably)
    Well, atleast it didn't suffer the same fate as [URL=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~piit/kuvat/b5s2/]my season 2 boxet[/URL] had suffered in the postal system :( (i did get a replacement from blackstar within the same week :) )

Actually, those s2 dvd's did work without problems, just the box was frelled, so i could watch them while waiting for the replacement :D
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I'm one of those unlucky bastards that got a damaged set. Three (3!!) DVD's were loose inside the box and were badly scratched during transit.

I immediately sent them back to Amazon.co.uk (Region 2) where I got them from. I hope I'll have more luck with the replacement set.

It's not the first time that I got a DVD or game CD that came loose in a box, but scratched like this, never.

The boxes should be designed in such a way that the disks can't fall out when the box is closed, period. You can't ask the poor bastards that drive the fork lifts and haul the boxes to handle them with care... they don't get paid to care and they just simply don't care.

I also emailed Amazon's customer support about this problem. Let's see what will happen.
    You and a million others, buddy. :D They'll reply that WB is pulling back the whole set and making a new one with better holders.

I presume.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]You and a million others, buddy. :D They'll reply that WB is pulling back the whole set and making a new one with better holders.

I presume. [/B][/QUOTE]

Some chance, look how long it took for WB to take the hint that their single disc snap cases weren't popular.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]You and a million others, buddy. :D They'll reply that WB is pulling back the whole set and making a new one with better holders.

I presume. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would hope so. They must be losing a lot with so many scratched discs.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Amazon.co.uk is sending me a replacement set... I hope I'll have better luck this time. According to their Customer Service I'll even get a refund for the return shipping costs.

Of course if I get a box from the same stack as the first one, then I'll be out of luck...

How did they get them shipped in anyway? With [I]Air America[/I] and Mel Gibson at the helm? :D I suppose it's when the crates hit the ground that the DVD's were knocked loose. ;)
    Actually, I read someplace that Warner's about to pull back the whole R2 Season 3 for the box defects, and replace to suppliers with another box-type later on. How long this will take, no-one knows. :( I'm not certain about this, but as just about 90% of the supplied sets seem to be defect, they're receiving a shitload of returns. And as there clearly IS a market for B5 in Europe, they will either ship another set of seasons with another packing mechanism or lose a great deal of moolah.

But anyways... if that's the case, I'd like to get my replacement copy just so I could get some closure to the matter whether or not it's from the sandpaper-boxset... But I don't mind the actual wait for the better-packed season, I still haven't wached to commentary episodes of Seasons 1 & 2. And I think the extras in Season 1 need some attention as well. :p
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]Actually, I read someplace that Warner's about to pull back the whole R2 Season 3 for the box defects, and replace to suppliers with another box-type later on. How long this will take, no-one knows.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Shouldn't take too long or be too hard, because they have working retainer in R4 boxes.
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    My S3 box had discs 2, 3 and 4 scratched. Discs 2 and 3 were so badly scratched that my dvd player had trouble playing those.
    I had 4 scratched discs in total out of six. 2 were in perfect condition, 2 were loose and were scratched beyond use and 2 had some minor surface defects.

But when I decided to order the B5 DVD's I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't opt for anything else than mint condition discs.

I would have wanted to watch that Season 3 but no... not until I get a perfect set. :D
    Well... what do you know. Amazon.de isn't selling Staffel 3 anymore, they probably sent the whole shipment back and are waiting for a new batch.

And the combined price for Staffels 1 & 2 is now 60e!!!!! I mean, really... 29e for Season 1... how low can you go? ;) Too bad I already own the first 2 seasons.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    got mine from play.com today 4 disc with scratches...doesn't work in the really cheap dvd player, but works fine on the dvdplayer in my pc, which I use when watching movies...going to send an email to play.com and hear what I should do.
  • Play.com should be okay. When I ordered the Season one set, one of the discs just wouldn't read and they exchanged it with the minimum of fuss.
    Right, this ticket doesn't win either... I got my replacement copy today and disc 3,4 and 5 were scratched again. I e-mailed Amazon.de again and stated that I'll take refund this time. :p Going to send this package back tomorrow and wait for the next batch of Staffel 3's. And this time I'll wait for some reviews of the holders before placing my order. :D