Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

IFH countdown thread

1235»

Comments

• ...one tip...it's less than 168 hours...
  • ZosoliasZosolias Earthforce Officer
    [SIZE=4]wooHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  • rikuriku Earthforce Officer
    what is this IFH? a movie? a game? a mod for a game?

-riku
  • A full screen motion picture coming to your cinema very soon for free...
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [url]http://ifh.firstones.com/[/url]

It's a game being developed by some of the people here; it's been under development for quite some time now.
  • Whooops, my fault... :D
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    WOOT! I have some weekend gaming time (assuming it hits this weekend)!
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    Cool,we have started counting down again.:D
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I can't wait! :)

I need my B5 fix dammit! :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]I can't wait! :)

I need my B5 fix dammit! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

me to, its been so long.
  • eh, I have waited since 1998 for this, I can wait a little longer.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B][url]http://ifh.firstones.com/[/url]

It's a game being developed by some of the people here; it's been under development for quite some time now. [/B][/QUOTE]

I REALLY would like to do an Adventure game (Ala Space Quest kind of thing).

I'm a bit nervous using actual B5 stuff in it though just because of IP legalities etc.

I'd really have to be second chair too (more like third actually), as I don't have the experience to plan/manage a project like we have talked about before...

I also have to be realistic and wonder just how many people would be interested in it...

Adventure games with humor in them are great, but I have been really fond of the more serious types, like the Man Hunter, Heart of China, and such that came out of Dynamix...

just thinking out loud you know...

;)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Agreed.

The main problem I see with adventure games these days is the interface. One big reason Sierra adventures used to be so popular was the standardized interface, which had only small variances from game to game. I'm speaking here of the interface used in the VGA era, for KQ5, KQ6, SQ4, QG3, QG4, QG1 remake, LB2 (Dagger of Amon Ra), etc. The text-based interface that preceeded it also worked, but I imagine it was harder to implement, having to think up all the verbs and nouns that people would use to describe an action, and games with that interface probably would never have survived in the VGA era or afterwards. KQ7's over-simplified mouse interface was a mistake, as it prevented the player from truly specifying what he wanted to do. The interface for QG5 was also a mistake; there was no good reason to tie character movement to the keyboard when the player's viewpoint was fixed for any given scene.

SQ5 and SQ6 did a great job of preserving the same basic interface while simultaneously improving the look and feel of the games.

(On a side note -- going 3D for QG5 didn't have to be a mistake. The pre-rendered scenery looked beautiful, and the 3D characters layered on top of that mixed in well. It is supremely unfortunate that someone decided that, since the player's character was 3D, the player should have direct control over his movements as in an action game. LucasArts made the same mistake with Escape from Monkey Island.)

I do agree that there's definitely a place for completely serious adventure games -- case in point, [i]The Longest Journey[/i]. If B5 IP were to be used, then I think a serious game would be most appropriate. On the other hand, works of parody are granted far more lattitude in the copyright department.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]LucasArts made the same mistake with Escape from Monkey Island.)[/b][/quote]

The interface in that game was horrible, but I have to admit the inventory did rock. Every time you pulled it out near another character, they'd make some comment.
    "Dear, I thought we agreed you would stop spreading your stuff all over the living room?"
    "Oi! Put that away! You're scaring me bait!"
    And so on. :)

[quote][b]I do agree that there's definitely a place for completely serious adventure games -- case in point, [i]The Longest Journey[/i].[/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. :) I'd also like to throw Syberia into the mix, although it's not as good as TLJ it's probably the 2nd best one in recent years.

Speaking of old good adventure games, has anyone else here played [url=http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1906][i]Cosmology of Kyoto[/i][/url]? Quite hard to get into but extremely rewarding when you do. Actually, I think this one might really really interest Randy, I should have pointed it out to him before.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]eh, I have waited since 1998 for this, I can wait a little longer. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think I have an idea to speed things up a bit. :)

Work faster, or you get a date with [url=http://vertigo12.freeyellow.com/Newbie.jpg]this fellow[/url]. :D

Seriously though, I can't wait to finally get my hands on the finished product. :) (I suspect they're delaying on purpose and will release it on the 25th. :D)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Don't wish to hijack this thread so I will start one in the Zocalo... ;)
    *bump*

How many hours left now? ;)
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Patience, grasshopper ;)
    It's not like this is Duke Nukem Forever....this one is actually going to make it out.

I find it hillarious that a game developed in another country by a team of unpaid hobbyists, which was announced years after DNF (a game that is based on a pre-developed engine by a bunch of pros), will go gold in what will, most likely, turn out to be years *before* any DNF screenshots come out.

Kudos SDF. ;)

-R.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    DNF: It's the Daikatana of the 21st Century!

DNF is poised to steal the award from "most overhyped game" from Daikatana any day now. The only thing really keeping Daikatana in the lead is the oft-cited unbelievably arrogant "John Romero will make you his bitch" ad.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]a game that is based on a pre-developed engine by a bunch of pros[/B][/QUOTE]

Not [i]a[/i] pre-developed engine. [i]Several[/i] pre-developed engines.
  • heh...

true true
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Patience, grasshopper ;)
    It's not like this is Duke Nukem Forever....this one is actually going to make it out.

I find it hillarious that a game developed in another country by a team of unpaid hobbyists, which was announced years after DNF (a game that is based on a pre-developed engine by a bunch of pros), will go gold in what will, most likely, turn out to be years *before* any DNF screenshots come out.

Kudos SDF. ;)

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah well, patience is something I'm severely lacking. ;)