Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

IFH countdown thread

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Wow, that must have cost a lot to organise.
  • Those AOL CDs seem to be useful :p
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    ifh.firstones.com updated again.....bugfixing....grrrrrrrrrrrr :(

*reading for exams next week*
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Hmm... I hope this isn't too late, but there are a couple of English mistakes on the back of that CD cover:

"Senturies" should be "Centuries"
    "Fraction" should be "Faction"
    "Posess" should be "Possess"
    "Over a dozen of ships" should be "Over a dozen ships"
  • You grammer Natzi you....;) :D
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Hmm... I hope this isn't too late, but there are a couple of English mistakes on the back of that CD cover:

"Senturies" should be "Centuries"
    "Fraction" should be "Faction"
    "Posess" should be "Possess"
    "Over a dozen of ships" should be "Over a dozen ships" [/B][/QUOTE]
    i posted this at the ifh forum. i think they can change the cover.

they found already the "Centuries" typo.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The Ultimate Space Combat Game!!!

Hah hah! I love it!

Catch that Marc?!?

:)

someone at least got one out! :D
  • What sharp little eyes you have!
    "The ultimate..." ;)

Hopefully their luck is better than ours.
    :shadow1:

[B][COLOR=red]Good luck, IFH team![/COLOR] [/B]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    *salutes*
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]The Ultimate Space Combat Game!!!

Hah hah! I love it!

Catch that Marc?!?

:)

someone at least got one out! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Wonder if that was purposeful or not. :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]You grammer Natzi you....;) :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey!! That's [i]Nazi[/i], dammit! Get it right! [b]*bam* *bam* bam*[/b]
    I was goint to point that out, but I figured it'd be funnier coming from you. :D
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    Going ;)

It better if they remove the bugs so we can play it without interuptions.:)
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Hey!! That's [i]Nazi[/i], dammit! Get it right! [b]*bam* *bam* bam*[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

*cough* Ahem. ;)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Cool shirt! :D
  • heh , ...
    is that 'shit on a stick' ??
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Is that you Biggles??
  • I'm confused. Is there still a release date?
  • MooMoo Trainee
    Yeah, second Tuesday of next week.
  • Last time I talked to then they said "a few days"

I told them to take their time, but they insisted on a few days. :)
  • Meh, I'd rather they rescheduled for mid December than 'a few days' us all the way to Christmas.
  • Look, they are doing this for FREE, so quit whining. mmmk?
  • Sorry, guess it's all that pent-up not whining from all these months.
  • Everyone will be much happier if they spend the time to iron out bugs, distribution issues, compatibility problems, etc. etc. etc. before they "go live".

As has been stated, it is a gift; we owe them only "thank you"'s, not "hurry up"'s. It's not like missing thanksgiving weekend will "blow the quarter" or otherwise cause financial ruin...

Yes, anticipation is killer; but lets try to stay positive and supportive. The only luxury of producing a free product is being able to say "it's done when we say it's done." At least the IFH team aren't talking about "some time in 2005" or the project being on an 'indefinite hold". (and I don't want to mention names like DukeNuken, FreeLancer, or TeamFortress2)
    :shadow1:

(for the IFH folks)
    On the upside... all the angst over the minor delays shows the high level of interest everyone has. ...and don't take any whining personally; just accept it as part of the risk of giving a date... and then missing it. ;)

Believe me, it is much nicer than (true story) delivering your working product to your customer only to find out that (a) they don't really want it, and (b) the idea wasn't supposed to work and (c) it's success is an embarrassment to them, so they bury it.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]Look, they are doing this for FREE, so quit whining. mmmk? [/B][/QUOTE]

So? They should set a specific release date and stick to it. Just because they're doing it for free doesn't make them exempt from criticism. :rolleyes:
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]So? They should set a specific release date and stick to it. Just because they're doing it for free doesn't make them exempt from criticism. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Vertigo, that comment was uncalled for. The IFH team is doing this on their own FREE TIME. Everything they have done is from scratch.

Yes, they have set a date and missed it. However, they are not charging for the game nor their time in supporting it once it becomes available to the public.

How can you complain about something that's free??

Let's see you develop a game from scratch and try to release it on the FIRST date you set. More than likely, it's not going to happen. Talk to the ITF developers, the B5 modders, etc. on this forum. They'll tell you it's hard to try to meet a deadline when it comes to creating mods or complete games.

A lot of bugs, conflicts, etc. don't show themselves until the final product is near release.

So, sit back, chill out, and wait. If might be another 2 days or another 2 weeks. before the game is ready. If you have waited this long, another few days isn't going to hurt you at all.
    [B]So? They should set a specific release date and stick to it. Just because they're doing it for free doesn't make them exempt from criticism. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Bull. It absolutely exempts them from criticism, at least of the type you're giving them now. Neither you nor I am paying them [i]anything[/i] at all to get this game done; they have absolutely no obligation to deliver anything whatsoever. Everything that they do release is a gift, not a product; you have no basis at all to complain.
  • RendererRenderer Earthforce Officer

I just think that in our case (when we have no angry publisher hanging over our heads) it's a lot better to be criticized for a missed release date than to get much more rotten tomatoes for releasing the buggish version right on time... Don't you think so?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Renderer [/i]
    [B]I just think that in our case (when we have no angry publisher hanging over our heads) it's a lot better to be criticized for a missed release date than to get much more rotten tomatoes for releasing the buggish version right on time... Don't you think so? [/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutley! Id rather have it a little late, but with (hopefully) no bugs, than on time with loads of them!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Striker [/i]
    [B]Vertigo, that comment was uncalled for. The IFH team is doing this on their own FREE TIME. Everything they have done is from scratch.[/b][/quote]

How is it uncalled for? NOTHING exempts anyone or anything from criticism. Nothing.

[quote]Yes, they have set a date and missed it. However, they are not charging for the game nor their time in supporting it once it becomes available to the public.[/quote]

So? Missing a release date is forgivable. However, to not expect to get a little criticism for missing it is naive.

[quote]How can you complain about something that's free??[/quote]

Again, just because its not being charged for doesn't exempt them from a little criticism.

[quote]Let's see you develop a game from scratch and try to release it on the FIRST date you set. More than likely, it's not going to happen. Talk to the ITF developers, the B5 modders, etc. on this forum. They'll tell you it's hard to try to meet a deadline when it comes to creating mods or complete games.[/quote]

I have no doubt in my mind that its pretty damn hard to do.

[quote]A lot of bugs, conflicts, etc. don't show themselves until the final product is near release.[/quote]

Something I'm quite familiar with. Hell, its 5 days past the release date as of now. We didn't hear anything about another release date till a couple of days AFTER the extended release date. (Yes, I know they are busy people, but they could've atleast had someone else explain what was going on before, or on, the 25th.) If it was explained that they found some bugs that needed to be ironed out then they wouldn't be people up in arms about it. However, all we've heard (atleast on here) is what A2597 posted.