Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Shadows, Vorlons and the Minbari

I've noticed that even after the Shadow War, Delenn seemed to regard the Shadows with dread. And yet, she doesn't seem to view the Vorlons in the same light, which is ironic considering the Vorlons turned out to be as bad as the Shadows (in their own way, of course).

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I suppose living with the knowledge that the Shadows would return after the 1st great war, wouldn't have helped. And since the Vorlons 'helped' Delenn for such a long time, with Kosh by her side, would have always tipped Delenn towards them, though her comments about them would not have been ignorant of what they did.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]B5 site[/url].
  • Oh I agree. I can definitely understand Delenn's attitude toward the Shadows. And yet, I've wondered if she had ever "fully" understood that she and the Minbari had been used by the Vorlons for so long.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I really don't consider Season 5 to be of the greatest quality. There were so many flaws. If there is a conflict between S5 and a previous season, I choose the earlier one above all.
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    I think she became very disappointed and angry with herself and with the vorlons especially to Ulkesh the new ambassadorin the ep [i]Hour of the Wolf[/i].When she demanded to talk to Ulkesh about Sheriden it became obvious to her that the Vorlons cared little about the younger races...

------------------
    "When it is time,come to this place,call our name,we will be here"-Walkers of Sigma957
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Probably becuase Kosh had been her guide for so long and had shown her that there are good Vorlons and bad Vorlons. On the other hand, there are only bad Shadows.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • FaylornFaylorn Elite Ranger
    Who says there are only bad Shadows? Their strategy* is to blame for their reclusiveness; hence, preventing them from communicating the good intent behind their evil acts. The same principle also applies to the Vorlons, in that yes Kosh I was kind but how much of that kindness was his mission?

Concerning Delenn's apparent bias, I think it's because she, and the masses, can identify with the Vorlon's strategy*. It is based on the morality of the lowliest wretch, the underline principle being everyone should prosper. The Shadows' strategy was based on opposite principles akin to the morality of the Knights and Kings of the Middle Ages or the Hindu caste system, i.e. people deserve what they get. It translates into today where we adopt the prior and elite adopt the latter. She, like us, probably prefer it because we know what it's like to be close to bottom and reckon if we move up it's possible we or our kids fall down.

*the best way to guide the younger races.

------------------
    [i]Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.[/i] --> www.zmag.org

a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."
    --Dennis Miller, Dennis Miller Live

[This message has been edited by Faylorn (edited 11-21-2001).]
  • (spoiler warning)

...another interpretation of the two strategies, however, equates them a little less with good vs. evil. Perhaps a better comparison is freedom vs. security...

The [b]Shadows[/b] spoke of (paraphrase): 'Encouaging evolution and advancement through competition and strife.' they also spoke of the sad and regretable (but necessary) side effect being the harm and sacrifice of some is necessary for the advancement of others.
    "There can be no advancement without conflict, competition, and change."

The Vorlon strategy was one of static law and conformity. Faylorn compares the [b]Shadows[/b] strategy to the caste systems, yet I would like to (respectfully, with a nod to Faylorn) offer another comparison, only this time with the Vorlon approach. The easiest way to peace and stability is if every member of a civilization (whether it is one species on one planet, or many species on many planets making up a collective civilization) knows his or her place and never deviates from it. Although this is peaceful and lawful, it is also stagnant & rigid. Where does the visionary, excentric, or deviant fit within such a scheme? "Don't want to be a taylor like your father and his father before him? Too bad." "So, you want to be an explorer. Too bad your role [i]has been chosen[/i] (by others) to be guardian of this shrine."

So, why would the [b]Shadows[/b] become involved with PsiCorps? That's easy. To turn the Vorlon weapon against the Vorlons. Remember who cultivated the telepath gene...

Who best served the role of watching over the younger races? The Vorlons with their telepath breeding and permanent "advisors" stationed with the Minbari leaders, or the [b]Shadows[/b] who quietly sleep; only awakening every millenium (when disturbed by others) to have a look and "mix things up" a little bit (perhaps only in response to the active stifling/dampening of natural strife by the Vorlons...).

Also, which strategy is better served by a ruling-class of mind reading telepaths? A society of freedom, diversity, privacy, and discovery or one of absolute control, rigid roles, and conformity (and, admitedly, peace & safety). Not only would you be stuck in predefined roles or economic/social tiers, but even [i]dreaming[/i] of doing something else (or having thoughts and ideas not approved by the state) would be detectable and punishable. This is the Vorlon vision, not the [b]Shadows'[/b]

Of course we, like Sheridan, choose neither. We reject forced strife just as we reject stagnant rigidity.

Given only those two choices, however, I would side with the [b]Shadows[/b]. Freedom will always be my preferance to prison, no matter how guilded the cage may be.

-- john [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/shad.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by John Walker (edited 11-21-2001).]
  • NickNick Earthforce Officer
    It was sunny today... I casted a shadow.

Is "casted" a word?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I think its cast...

Cast cast cast. Well, I dunno...

------------------
    [b][i][url="http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~gu00mama/"]http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~gu00mama/[/url]
    Vir - Are you saying you don't trust me anymore? I made your favourite, Spoo.
    Londo - I'll order in.

How can we possibly use sex to get what we want? Sex [/i]IS[i] what we want! - Frasier Crane[/i][/b]
    John Walker, yes I agree that the Vorlons would be supportive of a caste system. However, when I was defining the Shadows' strategy I said it was "akin to the morality of the Knights and Kings of the Middle Ages or the Hindu caste system, i.e. people deserve what they get" I did not mean the Shadows support a social structure other than feudalism. They would however support the morality shared with evolution: the favor of strength and demise of weakness. I am not sure if I relayed that in my last post; if I did, sorry for saying it twice. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    [i]Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.[/i] --> www.zmag.org

a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Claudia Trent:
    [b]I've noticed that even after the Shadow War, Delenn seemed to regard the Shadows with dread. And yet, she doesn't seem to view the Vorlons in the same light, which is ironic considering the Vorlons turned out to be as bad as the Shadows (in their own way, of course).

[/b][/quote]

Minbari and Shadows and Vorlons? OH MY!

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [quote]Originally posted by Entil'Zha:
    [b] Minbari and Shadows and Vorlons? OH MY!

[/b][/quote]

Someone should make a poster with that on it. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    [url="http://www.mdstudios.f2s.com/index.html"]Material Defender Studios[/url]
    [i]Fan Artwork[/i]
    [i]3dsmax tutorials ONLINE! More to come soon![/i]

[b]PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN![/b]
  • Faylorn: I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said, I simply wanted to reuse the same example you used, but in a different way. I hope my discussion was not interpreted as a challenge, it is merely a different point of view. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/shad.gif[/img]
    -- john
    No no no, I just thought my message might have been conveyed incorrectly, that's all.

------------------
    [i]Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.[/i]
    --Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."