Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

something interesting..

RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
It's a slow day at work, and i was browsing through the net when i stumbled over this:[QUOTE] from IMDb - Trivia for "Star Trek: Voyager":
[b]The episode "The Void" contains many references to _Babylon 5 (1994)_ . Robin Sachs , who played a Minbari councillor in the B5 TV movie "In the Beginning," stars in "Void" as an alien named Valen. In B5, Valen was a holy figure among the Minbari. Also, "The Void" features a 'raider' spaceship first used in the B5 episode "Signs and Portents." And 'Vejar, Mike' , who directed several B5 episodes, also directed "The Void."[/b][/QUOTE]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's nothing. [i]The Year from Hell[/i] (arguably a very good episode) features Babylon 5 itself dressed up as a very big spaceship.
  • the void, the void... remind me what that epp was about?
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]That's nothing. [i]The Year from Hell[/i] (arguably a very good episode) features Babylon 5 itself dressed up as a very big spaceship. [/B][/QUOTE]

REALLY??? I DONT REMEMBER THAT!

PICTURE!! PICTURE!!
  • Not exactly babylon 5......

[IMG]http://mods.firstones.com/buda5/public/Krenim1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://mods.firstones.com/buda5/public/Krenim2.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://mods.firstones.com/buda5/public/Krenim3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://mods.firstones.com/buda5/public/Krenim4.jpg[/IMG]

looks like they did a little kit bashing ;) i think YoH was filmed be4 they switched to all CGI, i beleive it was still a composite model? could be wrong tho, i don't remember the voyager dates well... ::Sigh:: wish they woulda gone another season..
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [B]That's nothing. [i]The Year from Hell[/i] (arguably a very good episode) features Babylon 5 itself dressed up as a very big spaceship. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not hardly. The design is quite different from B5.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I just noticed that they used the hull texture that was on B5's main cylinder, though.

And I never saw that raider ship in The Void. I only saw half the episode, though, but Ex Astris Scientica's overview of the episode seemed to miss it as well.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Season 4 (which includes Year of Hell) of Voyager was the first to use CGI. I think they may have used some for Scorpion Part 1 too (the last episode of season 3).

Worf
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Very interesting...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Not hardly. The design is quite different from B5. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, I was exagerating a little.
  • MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
    Voyager go another season I don't think so Tim. It lost the plot long ago when certain cast members left only to be replaced by a new cast member with questionable acting talent and sizeable physical asserts.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]Season 4 (which includes Year of Hell) of Voyager was the first to use CGI. I think they may have used some for Scorpion Part 1 too (the last episode of season 3).

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

It did.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    what i was hoping for the last VOY episode (as lame as it might sound) was that at least half of it would take place after they got home, telling what they would go on to do, etc.
    I also kinda find it lame that neelix suddenly leaves the ship. i mean, he traveled what? 30.000-40.000 lightyears with them, is far away from anyone he knows in the delta quadrant and then he suddenly jumps off? at least, in the alpha quadrant he would have known some people...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Why did he jump off anyway? I've seen the last episode, but not the ones before it where he obviously leaves.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    I'm pretty sure the hull texture used to make B5 was included with Lightwave.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]Why did he jump off anyway? I've seen the last episode, but not the ones before it where he obviously leaves. [/B][/QUOTE]

Second to last episode (Homestead). He found a colony of Talaxians who were refugees from their world and fell in love with one of them.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]I'm pretty sure the hull texture used to make B5 was included with Lightwave. [/B][/QUOTE]

It is. Its also included with 3dsmax IIRC. Its just a generic bitmap.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people

Year from hell was a decent 2 part episode, until they did the tyical startrek thing, and neatly wrapped up the whole thing, badly, with 3 minutes to go in the episode.

Star Trek has a formula, that they follow in all their shows, and Games even, good beginning, Great middle, Bloody awful ending.
    Yeah, the ending did suck compared with the rest.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    The biggest problem with it, though, was that everyone seemed to completely forget Kes's warning from the previous season.

Despite all that, I still think it was the best that Voyager ever did. I think that's saying a lot, because even though 90% of post-season 3 Voyager was absolutely pitiful, the show did nonetheless manage to have some of the best individual episodes Trek has ever seen.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]The biggest problem with it, though, was that everyone seemed to completely forget Kes's warning from the previous season.[/B][/QUOTE]

I once heard a theory about this I liked very much. By the time the [i]Voyager[/i] arrived at the Bad Guys' doorstep, the Bad Guys had already screwed around with the timeline in such a way that Kes's encounter with them unhappened. Hence, nobody ever says "Hey, remember when Kes told us about these bad guys? We should be careful-like.", because, in their timelines, Kes never went into the future and found out about them.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Year from hell was a decent 2 part episode, until they did the tyical startrek thing, and neatly wrapped up the whole thing, badly, with 3 minutes to go in the episode.[/b][/quote

Exactly. With the story they had set up, they could've dragged that out for atleast a whole season if they wanted to.

[quote][b]Star Trek has a formula, that they follow in all their shows, and Games even, good beginning, Great middle, Bloody awful ending. [/B][/QUOTE]

TNG was the exception here. It had a decent ending that nicely wrapped things up while leaving enough things to continue on at a later date. I only wish that DS9's ending was done that well. :(
    DS9's ending was way too rushed. They should have dropped all the little individual episodes they seemed to like doing and spread the main arc out over that season properly.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Or, it shoulda had a frelling season 8 :D

DS9 could have *easily* continued on for a season more, perhaps even *two*. There were simply so many paths, and everyone was just so violently thrashed into where they were at the end.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Aye, DS9 was frellin' excellent. I actually did like the ending, though I agree that it was a little rushed. But at least they, y'know, [i]ended[/i] it, gave it a proper conclusion. That, and the fact that it didn't suck, is enough to make me happy.
    Actually, they DIDN'T end it. It actually continued on in the Avatar duology....which never had an ending itself. ;) That kinda pissed me off though, because, to my knowlege, a third volume to it was never released so Spoiler: we never find out what happens to Jake.
    Now, you see, I [i]knew[/i] I should've posted about this last night.

The Avatar Duology was the first in the larger Deep Space Nine relaunch (how can you tell if a book is part of the the Deep Space Nine relaunch? Well, for starters, the logo is in a different typeface). Anywho, the series consists of, in order:

Section 31: Abyss
    Gateways #4: Demons of Air and Darkness
    Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond: "Horn and Ivory"
    Mission: Gamma #1: Twilight
    Mission: Gamma #2: This Gray Spirit
    Mission: Gamma #3: Cathedral
    Mission: Gamma #4: Lesser Evil
    Rising Son (this one is concurrent with everything after Avatar and tells what happened to Jake)

The next book comes out in November, in hardcover, and is called Unity. Basically, if you think of the Relaunch as Season 8, then Unity is the Season Finale.

In recent years, Star Trek books have become a lot more interconnected, so while I've given you, the "essential" relaunch, there are quite a few very enjoyable standalones or even books that are part of another series that relate to characters and situations in the Relaunch. See [url=http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB17&Number=1048874&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all]this topic on the TrekBBS[/url] for more details.

Also, the [url=http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/booklist.html]Star Trek Book List[/url] might be of interest to you as well.
    Now all I need to find is somewhere that I can get those books without having to shell out too much money (none at all is preferable, but I doubt the libraries around here will carry them).
    Well, with the quality of Trek books as of late, I haven't bought any since the second Avatar novel. I've been buying solely SW novels, in particular the "New Jedi Order" series...which is set to end in November of this year.
    I never really got into SW books. The only one I've read is Shadows of the Empire. Mind you, I never really got into ST books either.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    If you never really got into the "normal" starwars books, you might want to try the X-Wing books...