Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Draal for President!

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
Is it just me, or is Draal one of the coolest reoccuring characters in the B5 universe?

John Schuck does a wonderful job with the character, and you could just listen to his voice for hours on end.

I think that's another of B5 strengths as a show, they picked very talented and strong actors to play many of the ancillary parts.

Jake

Comments

• Re: Draal for President!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]Is it just me, or is Draal one of the coolest reoccuring characters in the B5 universe?

John Schuck does a wonderful job with the character, and you could just listen to his voice for hours on end.

I think that's another of B5 strengths as a show, they picked very talented and strong actors to play many of the ancillary parts.

Jake [/B][/QUOTE]

Draal!? That guy gives me the [i]screamin' willies!!![/i] :eek:

Seriously, despite Draal not being one of my favorite characters, he is quite entertaining. By sheer co-incidence, I'm halfway through watching "Voices of Authority", which reminded me what a unique character he is. (A minbari with a sense of humour for pete's sake!) :D

Otherwise, he can act really well, his dialogue with Ivanova when she was being attacked by the shadows while plugged into the Great Machine was forcefully delivered and really convincing. :)

Regards,
    Morden
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Hey, I was watching that episode just 5 minutes ago. :)
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    John Schuck was certainly more animated that the original actor who played him, the guy that played Brother Theo later on. I think he had a stroke and couldn't come back to play Draal so they had to get another actor. John Shuck filled the role very well and gave his character a great sense of humor. I wonder if JMS decided to make him more 'funny' as the orignal Draal was typical Minbari, very serious but kind. Maybe they could have played on the idea that the Great Machine changed him in some way. I suppose being able to see so much of the galaxy from one spot would change your outlook on things, make you a bit more sarcastic maybe? ;)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Maybe they could have played on the idea that the Great Machine changed him in some way. I suppose being able to see so much of the galaxy from one spot would change your outlook on things, make you a bit more sarcastic maybe? ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

That's a great perspective Falcon1, and I'm inclined to agree with you. :)

Regards,
    Morden
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I think that the orginal Drall had the sense of humor. Remember his first apperance?

"Quickly, what is the third principal of sentient life?"
    "Drall!"
    "Incorrect!"

And the way he liked the hokey-pokey? Yes, I think he had the sense of humor, but it was a bit repressed, given how he was so unhappy about the state of his people, and, oh yes, he was going to the sea.

On a related note, what the hell does "going to the sea" mean? I've never heard any explanation, but as near as I can tell it invovles a Minbari leaving home soon before dying to go to strange places and make himself useful to strangers.
    Cheers Morden279 ;)

David of Mac... yes your right, he did have a sense of humor, but it was more a repressed one.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Draal is cool. And he got a lot more open after a while, if it was because of the machine, or because he got his will to live back, I dont know...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    He did say the machine made him look and feel younger.

Worf
    So in other words he was a bit like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty once he quit his job, bought the cool Mustang etc, relived his youthfull days, ruled big time... but then Draal wasn't chasing around teenage school girls in short skirts ;)
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]So in other words he was a bit like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty once he quit his job, bought the cool Mustang etc, relived his youthfull days, ruled big time... but then Draal wasn't chasing around teenage school girls in short skirts ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

mmmmm jailbait ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well, teenage school girls in short skirts don't exactly seem to be in abundance on Epsilon 3. I suppose he could dress up Zathras...
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Hmmm,

There's some bizzare imagery. Can you imagine a conversation with someone who a)always speaks in third person, b)hangs with people also named Zathras and c)Has the mentality of a 15 year old girl

[I]
    Zathras was like, lets go to the mall
    Zathras was like, no way
    Then Zathras was like, lets go cruise the strip
    So Zathras said Zathras heard Zathras was already out there
    Zathras was like, Zathras is hot!
    [/i]

Gives me a headach to think about it.

Jake
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]So in other words he was a bit like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty once he quit his job, bought the cool Mustang etc, relived his youthfull days, ruled big time... but then Draal wasn't chasing around teenage school girls in short skirts ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Wasn't he able to travel pretty much anywhere from the planet using that machine?

If not, I think that the women's locker/shower room in Babylon 5 would've provided him with some R&R.
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    Whos Draal?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    *[b]FWAPP[/b]s Simmonds*
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    I cant remember who Draal is.

Isnt he the guy who lived in that planet?
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Well, teenage school girls in short skirts don't exactly seem to be in abundance on Epsilon 3. I suppose he could dress up Zathras... [/B][/QUOTE]

ROFL!!!

[img]http://www.b5-blender.com/phpbb/images/smiles/2thumbs.gif[/img]