Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Season 3 DVD first impression

Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
Hi guys, well I got home to find my copy waiting for me! Woohoo! :D Anyway here's a quick mini review for you guys. Don't read if you don't want spoliers...
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

The box is very cool. The art work is fantastic and I love the colour. Looks great on the shelf. The artwork inside is very nice too, the booklet it nicely done. But.... wait for it.... there's no upside down ships!!!!!

Anyway popped the disc in and watched the Intro from JMS. It was good. I watched episode 1 to start with. Picture quality was fine to me as was the audio. It soooooo cool to hear the Season 3 intro music in surround sound, my fav season music! Extras wise, I watched the documentary on Creating The Aliens of B5. That was interesting. Just to confirm the blooper vid reel is in the same location as season 2's... just go to the Data Files, the 5 symbol appears in the centre when you hit the nav down button. Its short but funny :)

So all in all another plus from WB.

However I was disappointed with the intro sequence when the dvd loads. The animation is not very interesting or imaginative. Season 2's was much better with the Narn fighters. And yes they use that silly morphing technique on the characters. Also I noticed that the WB intro music sounds slightly different to before, slightly different pitch to it.

But despite that I'm happy with the purchase and will spend many hours admiring it on my shelf ;) Got my evenings booked for the next few weeks now ;)

Comments

• Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    cool. can you post some screenshots from the menue please?
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yep no probs... just need to dig out a screengrab program for the dvd.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Did you get S3 dvd imported? Or is there somewhere over here in the UK that has it?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]Did you get S3 dvd imported? Or is there somewhere over here in the UK that has it? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think you can get it on region 2 yet, only 1 for the States.

Amazon.co.uk gets Season 3 on R2 DVD on October 22nd.

Regards,
    Morden
    Shadowdancer... I got it from DVDconcept.com, Region 1 release. They charged me £49.99 for it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Cheers people. I saw the release date on amazon.co.uk and I figured that you must have got it imported, but I just wanted to check.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    got my copy yesterday. First impressions were B+. of course not for the show, just the DVD. This is the best one yet tho, the video quality was improved, and the sound was definately better, i found myself jolting a few times from the sound.

the documentaries was good, tho too short :(. the bloopers were good, but shorter than the ones on season two. (u can find them all on the gag reels). the data files and what not weren't quite as robust as season 2, but still they were interesting. So overall, B+ (the highest yet from me), as the picture quality was still not 100%. I'm looking forward to season 4 tho, they probably had a higher budget by the time they made S4, so i'm looking forward to an A+ DVD :).

I haven't seen the episode comentaries yet, gotta save something for the weekend. so i may come back and bump that B+ up or down ;) (i'd think up tho, i've been a fan of the comentaries). Tho i was hoping for a special double commentary for the war without end :( oh well, lol guess we can't have everything.

But it sure looks nice, season 1, season 2, season 3 all in a row on my DVD shelf :) there's already a place reserved for S4 and S5 :)

any gambles on the color of the S4 box? we've had red/orange blue and green so far... i'm betting yellow for S4. maybe purple. any other opinions? :)
    Do they have any commentaries like in S2 where Bruce, Claudia and Jerry 'commented' on an episode? I thought that was one of the best bits of the dvd.
    yea, bruce, jerry, biggs, and ed wasser (morden) comment on interludes and examinations... i haven't seen that yet. that's up for tonight :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm really looking forward to that one. :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    All right, that's it! What the [i]hell[/i] is going on with this end credit music?!

I just got my Season 3 set today, and as soon as I finished the first episode, I was confused and annoyed.

Now, on the Season 1 DVDs, all of the episodes had the Season 1 end credits music. Great job, guys!

Season 2 DVDs, all of the episodes had the Season 1 end credit music. Except for [i]The Coming of Shadows[/i], that had the correct end credits music.

Now, Season 3 has come along, and the first four episodes (at least!) have the season 1 end credit music! Is there something difficult with coding in the proper music. Are the people who are remastering the episodes incapable of taking the extra three minutes to load the proper music into a given episode.

Another thing that bugged me about season 2 was that they kept the wrong part of the opening credits in the early episodes. They should've used the rerecorded narration from the fifth episode on, but no, they used the original narration, which hardly matches up to the images and sounds more than a little weak. Now, I could've accepted this, if they'd kept the proper video. But no, the video is all the version from the redone opening credits, which, whoops, spoils Delenn's transformation in Revelations. So they keep the crappy parts of the credits, and overwrite the useful parts. Not to mention that it's apparently a briefly-used interim version which has the wrong rank for Ivanova, and no rank for Keffer. Jeeze.

They really need some anal-retentive fans in there to keep things straight. ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm mainly worried about "The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father"
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]They really need some anal-retentive fans in there to keep things straight. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

You're not being anal mate, messing up the end credits music on those S3 episodes is a MAJOR mistake.

I know that on at least ONE of the episodes of S3 it does have the old music but [i]four[/i] episodes is ridiculous.

Regards,
    Morden
    Never mind. I am an idiot. Every episode in season 3 from the fifth on has the season 3 end credit music. Why? Because [url=http://www.jmsnews.com/scripts/MsgStore.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetMsg&List=1&Topic=23&Flags=1&Query=end%20credits&QFlags=1&ls=21&qs=1&qt=0]it was broadcast that way[/url]. I didn't see any of these episodes (or, for that matter the entirety of season 2), so I didn't know about that except way the hell back in my head. I'm guessing that the Season 2 music only being on one episode was also intended.

As to why they didn't fix it on the DVDs, well, it's probably fear of Lucasian revisionism. Same reason why they're doing the episodes in broadcast order, even when it would make sense to do it in the original order (i.e. Delenn using a triwhatsitcalled in Legacies, before getting it in Babylon Squared, or putting Walkabout before War Without end, and thus getting both episodes of the two-parter on the same disc).

Stupid damned artistic decisions. The world would be a better, happier place if we could all just work out what should happen when and where.
    actually the way u have described everything is the way it is on my origional VHS tapes of the series.... i'd say the copied them onto the DVD exactly the way they aired, which i think is the way it should be.
  • If I remember correctly JMS said that Chris Franke would do some new music for few episodes, as "non-stop" music. So is there new music?
    Yeah he did say that, but the changes weren't going to be major. I do agree with David of Mac about the first 4 opening credits for Season 2, it sounds so bad when you hear it. I had some of those on video and never noticed so I can't see how or why they made the mistake. Its odd really that such mistakes are made,... I've heard of loads on Angel and Buffy releases. Sloppy editing imo.
    Hey Alpha1 here's some screenshots for you:

[URL=http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/staff/njj/images/shot1.jpg]Shot 1[/URL]

[URL=http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/staff/njj/images/shot2.jpg]Shot 2[/URL]

[URL=http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/staff/njj/images/special.jpg]And yours turely...... :)[/URL]
  • Yes! Jason Carter as Marcus Cole in all his glory! :cool:

Regards,
    Morden
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Yeah he did say that, but the changes weren't going to be major. I do agree with David of Mac about the first 4 opening credits for Season 2, it sounds so bad when you hear it. I had some of those on video and never noticed so I can't see how or why they made the mistake. Its odd really that such mistakes are made,... I've heard of loads on Angel and Buffy releases. Sloppy editing imo. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well yer wrong there falcon... they are EXACTLY the way they origionally aired in the US. JMS even comments that they didn't have a soundstage to do the first take of it, and later, they redid it (after the 4th episode)... that's the opening they aired with origionally, so that's what it is on the DVD.. and i think that's the way it should be :)

as for the new music and all... i'd expect that (if it happens) to be on the 4th season set.
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Hey Alpha1 here's some screenshots for you:

[URL=http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/staff/njj/images/special.jpg]And yours turely...... :)[/URL] [/B][/QUOTE] ´

btw. can you post some shots from the special features menu's please

• cornholio1980cornholio1980 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]as for the new music and all... i'd expect that (if it happens) to be on the 4th season set. [/B][/QUOTE] Well, but that's not what JMS announced. Unfortunately I couldn't find the message any more, but I'm sure that he once stated that Christopher Franke will provide a new soundtrack (with nonstop music) for the episodes Messages from earth, Point of no return & severed dreams.

Can anyone confirm that?

FAITH MANAGES
    cornholio1980
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cornholio1980 [/i]
    [B]but I'm sure that he once stated that Christopher Franke will provide a new soundtrack (with nonstop music) for the episodes Messages from earth, Point of no return & severed dreams.[/B][/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be suprised, the score from Messages From Earth was some of Franke's best music he did for B5.

Regards,
    Morden
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cornholio1980 [/i]
    [B]Well, but that's not what JMS announced. Unfortunately I couldn't find the message any more, but I'm sure that he once stated that Christopher Franke will provide a new soundtrack (with nonstop music) for the episodes Messages from earth, Point of no return & severed dreams.

Can anyone confirm that?[/B][/QUOTE]

He said that he wanted to get Franke to rescore two or three episodes on with nonstop music, but he never said it was going to happen for sure, and he never said which two or three episodes.
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    nonstop music for severed dreams would have rocked... my favorite episode
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Perhaps Season 3 will be in my library soon...

and Season 4 when available...

:D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Perhaps, although I'd still personally prefer to start at the beginning.
  • Crap, I was hoping for the new music on the season3 episodes.

***K

Yet another disappointment. What about that JMS announcement that something was brewing at a point? But he wouldn't talk about it yet?

aargh

Well, I got myself a PS2 and bought season1, season2 and 3 are next.

Mmmmm...... season 3..... :eek:
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Hey Thomas!

What's the haps?

Good to see ya around! :D
  • Hey Jack![IMG]http://forums.firstones.com/images/oldicons/icon10.gif[/IMG]

I'm doing good. Working like hell these days.. 'sigh' I don't have internet at home so that's why I'm not online all that much..

:o

I'm ain't leaving this place before we get an ITF game..:eek: