Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

[OT] 'Personal Themes'

Comments

• IndieIndie Moderator
    I've been terribly busy with school lately, and will probably continue to do so in the near future...:(
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Hardware trouble again. I had serious problems with getting audio to work, but I think I've fixed it now. Had to reinstall OS & everything related to it of course...:mad:
  • what's been the problem?
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    It seems that my mobo just doesn't like SB Live. No matter - I'm using onboard audio now and it sounds pretty good.
  • Today my father is celebrating his 50th anniversaire. Already 40 guests have come and the celebration will last until the deep night (now it's 4pm here) So I won't be able to do anything regarding scripting or voice recordings. Though I have a busy calendar this week I try to finish my mission (if you've recognized, I've updated the Mission Campaign Sketch yesterday) and all recordings. If I don't get it ready 'til the end of this week it will be finished next week, so we can - after final beta testing - release the MC then.
  • posted some homeworld 2 badges in the zocalo forum, it includes two buda 5 badges.
  • [URL=http://mods.firstones.com/buda5/public/star_riders/star_riders.html]Star Riders Clan[/URL]
  • Hehe nice. Now I "only" need to buy Homeworld ;) .
  • Time issues - serious questioning @Scripting

Unfortunately this seems the problem of all of us:

Although [COLOR=crimson]the audience on the presentation today was very excited[/color] (photos and a short report are following when I'll have some time) from the mod and although I get [COLOR=crimson][b]3-4 mails/day from "satisfied fans"[/b][/color] and so the motivation for the project has increased I won't be able to do more for Buda5 - in the contrary, it seems that I'll could do only a few things in the future ... I have some problems with university due to the time I spend for Buda5 (the mod itself but also the "troubleshooting" and "answering question" for our audience). I [b]love to work for Buda5[/b] and I'd like to work more for it and to bring this mod to a professional stage, but regarding the fact that we never will get money for that we're doing (if no one of you has a clever idea how to get good money for this or a similar project ;) ) I have to set my [i]priorities on "what is to do"[/i] away from Buda5 unfortunately. :( :(
    Maybe I will get ready my MC mission 'til X-Mas, but I'll never have the time to script a mission for the explorer campaign.
    I can continue making voice samples/working on the homepage/helping the fans and I'd like to have co-determination regarding the Mission Design and the story/characters. But I can't do scripting as one main job anymore.

[b]But who wants to do all the scripting work?[/b] He needs MUCH time, the knowledge of scripting and of Babylon 5 and schould be creative.

Psiqx? ...no time, Indie? .. no time?, Warlord?, Aurora?
  • [size=5]You're leaving?????[/size]
  • Damn, not especially good news...:(

if anyone else doesn't have the time, I could probable take the "lead"...the main problems are just that I don't have almost any experience about GUI and my scripting skills still need improvements.And I'm also starting to get interested with modelling and I've been studying the lightwave for a while. and there is also the RL.I've had quite long a plan to start to writing a book but like I said, if anyone else doesn't have the time...
  • Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    Ehh, so what could I say. Good luck for Roi to whatever you do. Currently I still can program some when I have freetime. Still Indie has been working on campaign gui so I won't interfere that altough I know how to make GUI, I started making skirmish gui before Roi came (still Roi is better ;), I couldn't get scrollbars to work). About campaign missions, I can probably make few but I think I don't have time or skill to create storyline so if Indie could post more detailed document on campaign missions if there is any made. Also there won't be enough continuity in campaign if everyone makes own details to storyline in missions (that too is still needed to have some originality). And I think we don't need to rush things too much. This is voluntary thing and if scripters don't currently have time then they don't. Campaign will be done...someday.

I said I have time currently. There is school of course now but in January I'm going to army which probably takes 6 months. So I'm not available next spring. But I'll be back after that.
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    No prob!

By all means, have a break if you feel like it Roi! Its a voluntary fan project, after all and its supposed to be fun, not work. We've always had slow periods with Buda5 only to pick up speed later. Its always been like that with Buda5. Just so you know: Once a Buda5 member, always a Buda5 member. :)

As for scripting, I've been working on this and that slowly. Just so you know I have started on campaign mission #1. Its going to be dialogue heavy since its meant to introduce characters. Hopefully I've figured out something fun for the player to do. If everything goes as planned, I'll be working next spring and summer and as a results can devote more free time for scripting. Trying to study, do home assignments, maintain a (sort of) real life(tm) and scripting Buda5 can be quite time consuming. At some point the body needs rest even if the mind is full of creative ideas. ;)

Warlord: Yeah, I could perhaps create more detailed documents about the missions with dialogue and detailed description of events. I guess thats what you wished for? In fact, I'd probably find that a lot easier than scripting missions since my studies are sometimes quite coding-intensive.

"What is built, endures - and Buda5... Buda5 endures." :D
    Yes, I meant document about events what's going to happen in missions. That would make scripting easier since I don't have to think what events there will be. I also started school about computers this autumn ( for Finns: ammattikorkeakoulu, tietotekniikan linja, tod. näköisesti suuntaudun ohjelmistotekniikkaan) I can't explain in more detail in English but probably I'm going to start programming software. My programming course currently is basic C course and it's directed to those who don't know anything about programming and it's booring (Ei saa hyvitystä kun ei ole avoimen yliopiston/amk tasoista vastaavaa kurssia käytynä. Lukio kurssit ja oma osaaminen ei riitä). I started to study Playstation 2 emulator's source in those lessons for fun.

Still I have couple bigger schoolworks I have to do but I try to do some scripting also when I get some info what events I'll script there. Only until January 12th of course.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B][size=5]You're leaving?????[/size] [/B][/QUOTE][Size=3][b]No no, I'm not leaving at all.[/b][/size] I just wanted to say that I don't have the time to do much for Buda5 anymore ... no scripting and no advertisment/support in that many different forums. Currently it would be more an "advisory job" for me. I still will look and post regularly at the forums if there are questions. And also if I have the time to order my many ideas for the campaign I will post them here.
    But mainly I have to bring back my studies to a good stage.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Indie [/i]
    [B]At some point the body needs rest even if the mind is full of creative ideas.[/B][/QUOTE]so true

[SIZE=3]Although I risk to repeat myself and seeming to be melancholic: It's really good to know you guys which whom I can work effective and complete voluntary. And that we are making a good work and not just an "okay-product" says our audience every day :) . It's a nice experience to work with people from the other side of the world with such a good accord ... latest example is the Buda5 Promo Poster (currently its decorating one wall in my room).

[b]If we ever will come to that situation that there is a chance to make a commercial product I would be glad to work together with u, guys![/b]

And maybe sometimes there will be a chance to meet each other ... but ... well ... I'd stop now ;) ... [/size]
    I don't know about you but at least for me seems that I can effectivily script only in short periods - otherwise I would already be insane and in medical care. Sometimes with modding/scripting it's really hard to tell what's gone wrong because compiler compiles okay but things just won't work. I have many experiences in this. When you make own program with c/c++ it's easier to tell what's wrong because you have designed the program from the beginning, though I haven't made very big programs yet so I won't comment them (I know it's frustrating to search bugs in big programs). So we'll just do this in our own pace.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Warlord II [/i]
    [B]I don't know about you but at least for me seems that I can effectivily script only in short periods - otherwise I would already be insane and in medical care. [/B][/QUOTE]Hehe, for me the same ;) . I mentioned the "possible future work" b/c I think together we work very effective despite the unfavorable ways of communication (Forum, chat ... no "live brainstorming") ... a little bit like a well-rehearsed team.
    Just the very limited time for the project and not our skills or motivation (at least when I speak for me) hampers us to create a more appealing product.
  • I got hang of lightwave and I'm now modelling a Tempest class cruiser in case it has possible use...I'm also fairly interested to model babylon 4 but does it have that much of a use?maybe we could give her a small role in explorer campaing.As far as I know the babylon 4 wasn't destroyed during the last shadow war and it was found later but I don't know all the details about this...
  • P3kP3k Trainee
    hey guys, ive also been occupied with rl things for a few weeks now...but hoping to get into the swing of things again shortly...

-p3
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Aurora SF [/i]
    [B]I got hang of lightwave and I'm now modelling a Tempest class cruiser in case it has possible use...I'm also fairly interested to model babylon 4 but does it have that much of a use?maybe we could give her a small role in explorer campaing.As far as I know the babylon 4 wasn't destroyed during the last shadow war and it was found later but I don't know all the details about this... [/B][/QUOTE]

hate to say i modeled the tempest class a LOOOONG time ago, just never released it :/

it was found later and eventually destroyed... it fell into a planet basically.

wb p3k
  • Damn you logic, you are one cheap bastard;)
    I bet you have every possible model from b5 universe but you have released only half of them!!:D

Well, I'm still gonna keep modelling the tempest. gotta take a little brake from scripting besides, I think I gotta buy a new keyboard before I continue scripting. a little accident with a cup of coffee...
  • WHAT SHOULD WE DO

having noticed the significant increase and proliferation of Real Life (tm) issues... i have to pose the question.. what's our future? do we stay on track with the Journey of Shadows? has buda5 passed beyond the vail? even i have succumed to the real live (tm) issues of this semester of school (Assembly level programming SUCKS!!!).. anyways, i was just curious about the current view from the gallery...
  • Re: WHAT SHOULD WE DO

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]what's our future? do we stay on track with the Journey of Shadows? has buda5 passed beyond the vail?[/B][/QUOTE]Passing on like we did before ... working for it in our freetimes (holidays or smthg like that). Nevertheless I would be happy if there is a way to do something like that for commercial. Ideas? ;)

hehe btw, due to my advertisments I made for Buda5 I still have not less to do with support for issues people have with Buda5 InGame and Mission Collection
    ... the case people buying IWar 2 "just" to play our mod increases.

... and unfortunately the upload rate of the FirstOnes Server is very poor for many peeps.
    Like Indie said it's not first slow period for Buda5. Why we can't take it slowly if for example commercial games like Duke Nukem Forever has been in development longer than Buda5v2 :).

As for my situation I have exams next week and one bigger project work so don't be suprised if I won't post often. Still I can script mission if Indie makes detailed document for the campaign. I don't have time to think storyline and I'm not good at it.

It's out when it's done....
  • The MercifulThe Merciful Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Warlord II [/i]
    [B]Like Indie said it's not first slow period for Buda5. Why we can't take it slowly if for example commercial games like Duke Nukem Forever has been in development longer than Buda5v2 :).[/B][/QUOTE]Aaargh!! Don't compare Duke4ever and Buda5. It makes me restless in my grave. :eek:

(The Merciful, now a member of broad band internet club)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Merciful [/i]
    [B]Aaargh!! Don't compare Duke4ever and Buda5. It makes me restless in my grave. :eek:

(The Merciful, now a member of broad band internet club) [/B][/QUOTE] hehe, it wasn't a comparison, just an example fitting in the situation ;)

@Broad Band: So you can use your own computer as a server? ;)
  • #include

int main(){

typedef struct no_time{
    char soon[5];
    char buda5;
    } AHHHH!;

AHHHH! Exams='NO!!!';
    AHHHH! no_time='y';

Exams->soon=no_time->buda5
    }

yea i have exams for C programming soon, i've had very little time for Buda5, but xmas break is soon, so i'll have some time.
    You are not the only one who doesn't have time. I have to do two presentations from which other one is in Swedish :(.
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Ack... Several lab reports due by the end of the semester. Scores of exams and a Java project. :eek:
  • So a christmas w/o Buda5? ... I don't want to repeat the X-Mas of last year .. my family and girl-friend won't understand it :p .
    Otherwise I still have this unfinished "explorer campaign prequel mission".

btw, just got this mail:

[quote]Hello,

You knocked my socks off. Unbelievable, I sat for about an hour just watching the screen with my mouth open.. Why do you guys do this for free? I believe there was supposed to be a Babylon 5 game but it was canceled. Seems to me you guys did what they could not. You guys should charge for this. I would have bought it no matter the cost if I saw it at a computer store. I would like to buy you guys a case of beer. Please give me a paypal address or something.

Great job.. You blow away any of the mods available in bridge commander and that?s saying a lot for there a great many good ones there. Hardly any Bab5 mods though. Now, how about a Battlestar Galactica mod.[/quote]

So has anyone a paypal adress? :D *jk*

.. and nice greetings from my exams, too. :rolleyes: