Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A few questions...

Hi,

I'm new to Buda5 and was wondering what ships are flyable?

I haven't actually got it installed yet (will be doing that tonight) so was wondering what i can expect.

Advice is always welcome!

Comments

• IndieIndie Moderator
    Most of the ship mods in our downloads section replace the command section in the normal game. Only freighters and static ships, such as GOD platform don't replace the player. LogicSequence has been workin on a mod that replaces also the AI ships with various Buda5 ships, but its not ready for release quite yet.

In the Director War scenario included in the cristmas pack, you can fly various fighters of different factions. In a new, not yet released version, you can also choose to pilot a capital ship.

In the Skirmish scenario, you can fly practically anything, but the scenario still has some serious bug issues and doesn't always work.

In EOC, practically any ship can be flown by the player, but the interface works best with smaller ships and fighters. I guess, theoretically, one could create a brand new capital ship control interface with fighter launching and command, jump engine control etc, but that would be a pain to script.

...but maybe, maybe... ;)
  • Great, thanks for the help.

Another question for you:

I've downloaded the ship pack, but there have been new versions of ships released (the whitestar for example), i have downloaded those too. Will they automatically overide whats in the ship pack?
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Good question and I don't know the ansrew. :) I'm not sure how EOC determines which mod takes priority if there are identical filenames. Perhaps its the one that was activated last.:confused:

There is developer version of the ship pack and we are hoping to release a new one soon.
  • I suppose i could replace the files in the ship pack with the new ones?

Do they have to be zipped, or can you unzip everthing?
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Yes, updating the pack yourself would work. I think they should work just fine unzipped but I've never tried it - its just easier to handle the mods if they are zipped. I'm not sure if you have to create a new directory named after the mod.

Unzipping them in to the resources directory would definitely work, but I don't recommend that. It will be difficult to clean it up later.
  • Ok, thanks for the help.

I'll give it a try.
  • Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    Mods work if you unzip it to directory with same name without .zip under mods directory. If you have mods/Buda5_Ship_pack.zip you make directory mods/Buda5_Ship_pack and unzip mod there. I always use mods like this when I'm coding because it's easier to update. Only bad thing is that 80mb zipped ship pack is over 200mb uncompressed.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    The latest ship pack has all of the latest ships except the excalibur, so other than that particular ship, you needent worry about replacing anything. As far as what selected mod takes precedence: whatever mod has been selected and USED (i.e. played) takes presidence... so.. THEORETICALLY.... you could select the ship pack, use it, quit your game, select the new excalibur and go with it. However you'll be entering the land of finicky, i wouldn't recommend it.

Now if you get into repacing files in the ship pack you have to be VERY VERY VERY careful what you do as some seperate ship mods use the same names to describe different weapons, etc... (i should know, i made most of them, lol) so when the ship pack was created, files had to be renamed. so if you go replacing on your own, and don't get the correct names right, at the very least your going to get wrong sounds for weapons, more likely you'll have the wrong weapons on ships, such as the wrong turrets for a ship, and at worst it may not work at all because you are trying to link to something that doesn't exist any more.

The files in EOC especially when it comes to weapons and ships are criss crossed with links from here to there back to here and then to mars and back. and if you try and link to something and misspell a link, or link to something that's no longer there (and trust me there are a lot of linked items in the ship pack, i doubt you could locate them all in under a good 12 hours) the whole thing is gona crash and burn, lol.
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Actually, the ship pack that is downloadable from the website is the Christmas 2002 ship pack and as a result, is pretty much out of date. The devs version we are using hasn't been released (publicly) yet.
    OH YEA! THAT'S RIGHT, lol... UM SCRATCH WHAT I SAID, LOL
  • B5JunkyB5Junky A Sanfamitek Systems product
    I have a question!!!!!!!!!!

How do i post a new thread????????????????????????????????
    i take it you figured this one out on your own ;)
  • B5JunkyB5Junky A Sanfamitek Systems product
    Thanks

Thank you and yes i did.

F**k'n A --> :robot:
  • hello to all

hi everyone at Buda 5. im new at this and have downloaded all the ship mods and i must say they are VERY GREAT well done to you all!! i wouldn't mind know what is the future to all this? what new mods and plans are you guys creating in the near future?

also just a thought, how do you develop you ships, i mean what software do you use as i'd love to create my own ships from B5 and maybe someday some other people could learn to love them too (i wish hehe).. anyway cya guys around and keep up the good work!!!!!!
  • The MercifulThe Merciful Earthforce Officer
    I think the ships are modeled in LightWave 5.5 by NewTek. LW 6.5 may work too, but IIRC not LW7. I recal there is a cheaper* version of the software, but don't remeber it's name.

* Well, cheaper and cheaper. Modeling/rendering software of this level cost an arm and a leg.
  • cheers mate

cheers for that i will look into it.... also i forgot to ask on my first messege are you guys at Buda 5 creating the shadow battlecrap ships at all?? as i'd love to fight against one in EOC
  • Roi DantonRoi Danton Moderator
    Re: cheers mate

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Panic_Attack [/i]
    [B]also i forgot to ask on my first messege are you guys at Buda 5 creating the shadow battlecrap ships at all??[/B][/QUOTE]
    The Shadows will get all of you ... :p ;) . With clearer words: Yes, the Battlecrab will come.
    @panic:

Ships in the origional EOC game were created using Newtek's Lightwave 5.6. But as that's now obsolete, 90% of the time i've used Lightwave 6.5 to create buda5 ships. lately tho, i've been using Lightwave 7.5c. However i wouldn't recommend using anything over 6.5 b/c you cannot get models to work in EOC unless you know exactly what your doing and there are several tricks you have to do to get them to work. Lightwave costs around $1595 - $1700 (US) :eek:. The cheaper version merciful described is called Inspire 3D, it has far fewer features, and a bad interface, and sold for about $800 (US), but i don't beleive they make that anymore.

Lightwave is a very hard tool to learn how to use, so be prepared to spend a lot of time learning it (and i'm talking weeks to months to get to beyond basic things). Also there are a lot of special rules you have to follow while modeling to get the models to work in EOC, if one of these is off, well your model may not work at all in EOC, or end up looking very strange. Long story short, it's expensive, has a killer learning curve, but is the best 3D rendering software on the market, and in my opinion, is worth it. (well seeing as i'll be doing it for a living too)

As for whats coming up, there will be new ship releases, probably a couple updates, and a new mission pack is to be released sometime this summer. As for the battlecrab.... :) It may already be here... u know the shadows, they don't move quickly, they may be biding their time, MUAHAHAHA. LoL in other words it's only available to developers at the moment as it's not completely finished ;) but as always, as soon as i finish it, it WILL be released.
  • brill

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO cheers!!