Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

TURN ON YOUR T.V.s FOLKS!!!

Comments

• RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [quote]Originally posted by Entil'Zha:
    [b]
    Try living here, this city has gone insane.

[/b][/quote]

You and those other people involved in this tragedy have my sincerest thoughts of sympathy and prayers.

Keep safe, Entil'Zha.

-Rick

------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]
  • May the favor of Fortune be over mankind...
    and let us all hope that a greater darkness doesn´t folow....
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I agree!!!!
    Well, I'm happy to live in Finland!!

------------------
    Born from silence, silence full of it
    A perfekt concert my best friend
    So much to live for, so much to die for
    If only my heart had a home
    -Nightwish:Dead boy's Poem-
    [quote]Originally posted by Freejack:
    [b] I try to pay quite a bit of attention to the conflict between Israel and Palestine and I don't believe that the DFLP(I don't believe that what they call themselves) has ever taken on something near as big as this. I also would have a hard time believe it’s the Taliban considering that the US has had little conflict with them other than the occasional "we don't condone your actions"

Its interesting to note that one week ago the US walked out of the UN conference on racism over language that deemed Israel racist. I wonder if there's any connection?

Jake[/b][/quote]

There are allot of coincidences here.

Today is 9-11 (911)

Today is the anniversary of the peace accord that was signed between Arafat and Israel at Camp David.

The planes were definitely picked for their symbolism "American" for obvios reasons, and "United" as the flagship carrier.

The strike on the Towers was a strike at our economic strength; the Pentagon, our military; the State Department, the Government itself.

My concern, today, is that the day is young, and I just hope we've seen the extent of the damage, and that these extremists aren't planning further ground attacks as the day progresses.

This is, without a doubt, the most horrific thing to happen to the US since Pearl Harbor. Probably even moreso, as this was a direct attack on a civilian population.

I doubt, highly, that any pilot would fly a plane into the building volontarily or under duress. My deepest condolances go out to the friends and family of the crew and passengers so unwittingly thrown into this turmoil, and those people trapped in the towers and the Pentagon as the buildings were destroyed.

The rescue personnel are nothing short of heroes here...I can't imagine that all of them were able to escape the falling rubble raining down on them as they were trying to save these people...

My god, this is a dark, dark day...

------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]
    [quote]Originally posted by MT:
    [b]Faylorn,

Where did you hear that a car bomb exploded at the State Department. My brother works there and I keep getting his answering machine so I can't have him confirm that for me.

[/b][/quote]

CNN & NBC Reported this.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    The car bomb has since been denied, thankfully.

I think that we've seen all we're going to see today...once the first wave of attacks took place, the country was locked down, making any further attacks difficult (but admittedly not impossible). The New York City skyline has been suddenly and violently changed forever. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
  • New Yorkers call it the "New Pearl Harbor"
  • Sheesh!
    And to consider that this day started out plain great. We got our sofas back from the furnisher, I was contacted by a guy who's willing to sell me his copy of The Kilrathi Saga (which I've been after for years now), I got some reading done for my math A-levels and so-on. A very good day in my books.
    --And then I hear that The World Trade Center was obliterated.

I've always had this theory, that someone can NEVER be completely happy. There's at least some gland in your brain to compensate a perfectly good day with something. Anything goes. I just hate it when I'm right.

Another day, another dollar.

Yeah, right.

------------------
    Life is full of surprises. The ones reserved for me usually come wearing brass knuckles.
  • Ranger BrianRanger Brian The Anti-Scrooge
    Jesus it makes me f**king sick that animals can do things like this. My heart goes out to you guys over there.

Just caught Tony Blairs speech on this, and it sounded like a speech you make when you declare war on someone. All it missed was "We are at war"

All I can say is the we will stand with you.

-------------------
    I have seen the future, and it was dark
    and then I took my shades off...
    --
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper,
    Only those that prosper truly judge what is sane.
  • FalconFalcon Elite Ranger
    This is very sad day for our world.

I'm really shocked.

I only hope that the situation will not escale.

The people involved in this horrible situation have my deepest sympathy.

Falcon

[This message has been edited by Falcon (edited 09-11-2001).]
  • If we let them effect how we live our lives and the freedoms we have they win.

We need to rebuild bigger, better, NOW!

To those who have expressed hatred and dicontent toward the US on these boards and around the world in the past... I feel more than words can express.

[This message has been edited by Konrad (edited 09-11-2001).]
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    Sad news, all of it.

[b]Terorists terrorise. It's what they do, and have always done, yet we continue to be shocked by their actions."
    -- Quote, origin unknown.[/b]

Yet me must be shocked, for that is what makes us civilised.

As for how it was done, read Tom Clancy's 'Debt of Honour' and 'Executive Orders'.
    I'd paraphrase for those who dont have copies, but it would be inappropriate.

The news is sickening. I need fresh air.
    [quote]Originally posted by eamonmca:
    [b]Sad news, all of it.

[b]Terorists terrorise. It's what they do, and have always done, yet we continue to be shocked by their actions."
    -- Quote, origin unknown.[/b]

Yet me must be shocked, for that is what makes us civilised.

As for how it was done, read Tom Clancy's 'Debt of Honour' and 'Executive Orders'.
    I'd paraphrase for those who dont have copies, but it would be inappropriate.

The news is sickening. I need fresh air.[/B][/quote]

When I read Debt of Honor, it was scary to realize how easy it would be for someone to do that.

Today, seeing it happen on live TV was beyond horrifying. I'm sure Mr. Clancy would say the same, and I'm sure that someone in the media will ask him about the similarities before the media coverage dies out.
    Update:

There is an unconfirmed report that the Pittsburgh crash was the result of an intentionally downing by the air crew, rather than continue on to its target.

If this is the case, the men and women of that crew deserve the highest honor for such an amazing act of courage and sacrifice, and absolute selflessness...

-R.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-11-2001).]
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]Update:

There is an unconfirmed report that the Pittsburgh crash was intentionally downed by the air crew rather than continue on to its target.

If this is the case, the men and women of that crew deserve the highest honor for such an amazing act of courage and sacrifice, and absolute selflessness...

-R.[/b][/quote]

True Heroism... An -ism worth fighting for.

It brings me to tears of pride when people do things like this.

------------------
    [i][b][url="http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~gu00mama/"]http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~gu00mama/[/url]

Vir - Are you saying you don't trust me anymore? I made your favourite, Spoo.

Londo - I'll order in.[/b][/i]
    A passenger on one of the American Airline aircraft that struck the WTC tried to warn the people on the ground. They just released a transcript of his 911 call from his cellphone that he made while locked inside a lavatory on the plane moments before impact.
  • HavokHavok Earthforce Officer
    This is abominable! The Japanese with Pearl at least attacked a military target. This was a direct assault against a civilian target.

Make no mistake. The United States now sits in a state of War. We only have to find out who is responsible and we will bring the full might of the US against that party. They will be given no quarter.

These people are fools. As Yamamoto told the emporer of Japan when told to attack the US. "I can run wild for 6 months. Then we will lose. Do not wake the sleeping giant."

We (the american people) seek to help who we can in the world. We do not seek to hurt anyone. We do not agree with our governmental policies all the time. We are also the only thing that can change those policies. Those who would do something like this are angering the only allies they have.

As Delen once said when speaking of all three of the Mimbari casts agreeing. (Paraphrased) We went mad together and it almost destroyed you.

Do not anger the people of America. With full support, the government can and will use every tool at their disposal to attack those responsible and those who harbor them. At that time, may God have mercy on your soul because we will not.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I heard that the (or a) 911 call came from a passenger on the flight that crashed outside of Pittsburg...

I'm sure we're all keeping quiet about how much worse this could have been if it had a nuclear tone to it.

It's even more frightening to think that to produce a nuclear yield, one does not need special electronics, special explosives, etc.

Simply a block of Uranium or Plutonium fuel and a pellet made of the same material to use as a military shell or as a torpedo.

A person could use a hammer...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [b]
    There are allot of coincidences here.

Today is 9-11 (911)

Today is the anniversary of the peace accord that was signed between Arafat and Israel at Camp David.

The planes were definitely picked for their symbolism "American" for obvios reasons, and "United" as the flagship carrier.

The strike on the Towers was a strike at our economic strength; the Pentagon, our military; the State Department, the Government itself.

[/b][/quote]

We must remember that although Bin Laden is the most likely culprit. We have another George Bush in office, and Powel as Secretary of State. Iraq *could* also be responsible...

New York is a big target for many reasons beyond economic. I've said this before here and elsewhere for several years.

Besides being a trade center, it has a high population of Jews. I do not say this to be deragatory to Jews, simply that it is a fact, and that their are many anti-semetic groups out there.

New York is also a point of pride for the United States, so by attacking her, they seek to degrade the US with a black eye.
  • I go to a regional school in Bergen County New Jersey. At least two people from my own town know people who were there, one kids dad works there and they don't know if their loved ones are still alive. All day we just watched the news in class, and my class at least saw the second collapse. By 12:30 when I left half the school had gone home. Fort Lee is right by the George Washington bridge so a friend who lives there didn't know if he could get home. Then I happened to pass by the local telephone company building. The police had blocked off the driveway with a truck. This whole event is disgusting and I hope they actually go after all these Goddamn terrorists, instead of just talk.
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    First my prayers go out to those who died (and those out there trying to prevent more)in this cowardly attack. No words can describe the depth of horror and revulsion I feel.

I cannot imagine the pure hatred the people responsible for this must have to allow this to happen. How did they come to this, without the world noticing ?

My final question and the most chilling thought. What will happen if this was a domestic act ? (All the hijacked flights were domestic)
    This is what makes my blood boil. How on earth could any human being CELEBRATE an event like this....
    [url="http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-woman.shtml"]http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-woman.shtml[/url]
    [url="http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-reax.shtml"]http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-reax.shtml[/url]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-11-2001).]
  • HavokHavok Earthforce Officer
    [quote]
    This is what makes my blood boil. How on earth could any human being CELEBRATE an event like this.... [url="http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-woman.shtml"]http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-woman.shtml[/url] [url="http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-reax.shtml"]http://www.sfgate.com/today/photos/mideast-reax.shtml[/url] [/quote]

I don't know if the Palastines realize it or not, but the US has been the one holding Isreal back from annihilating them. They don't know who's on their side in this.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    "May God Stand between you and harm, in all the empty places were you must walk" - Ivanova
  • CnlPepperCnlPepper Earthforce Officer
    Its the fact the kids are celebrating that sickens me..... the fact their parents have taught them to hate at such a young age. So much for the future generations forming peace.

I'm fighting hard to supress the part of me that has the desire to find and kill all those responsible and all those who would support it. I just hope all those in positions of power do the same and wait for clarity before they make decisions.

Today we watched as thousands of people were murdered live before our eyes. Those people in the top of the trade center we saw waving, seeking assistance just before it collapsed will stick in my mind for the rest of my life.

The people responsible will be brought to justice, punished. Those who would seek to cause terror must be shown what will happen to them if they dare to try.

My heart goes out to all those who have relatives injured or killed in this terible act. You are in my prays.

CnlPepper - Horrified by what he has seen.

------------------
    [b]HW:B5TC Dev. Team Member and B5TC Board Moderator.[/b]
    [url="http://www.geocities.com/cnlpepperplanet"]CnlPepper's B5 Mod Resources[/url]
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." — Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (after the attack on Pearl Harbor)

those few words speak volumes about the american people. we may appear as decadent, selfish, greedy and weak willed. But no single act has stired as much....rage, on a national scale as todays events have, since pearl harbor. And the results of that attack are well documented in the history books. I for one am sick and tired of all these little coward organizations that think that they can attack the US people and get a messege across. Instead, all they have done is ensure their own demise....and they WILL be destroyed. And I feel that anyone or anything that attempts to defend them, should also be annihilated. What they have done is a deliberate attack against the us as a people, and a nation. I don't care if they are not representitives of any country or government. BLOOD CALLS OUT FOR BLOOD! Will that bring those back who have perished today? no. Will it ease their spirits and the anguish of those who knew them? maybe. Will it send a messege that the US is NOT to be ****ed with? You better ****ing believe it!

To those who have done these acts today, I salute you.. nnllnn <=== (that's my middle finger for those of you who can't figure it out.)
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    [b]There is an unconfirmed report that the Pittsburgh crash was the result of an intentionally downing by the air crew, rather than continue on to its target.

[/b][/quote]

Any idea where the transcript is?

About the heroism part, Definitely.
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    I have just heard a BBC expert saying that the CIA were the first people to give money and training to Bin Ladden to undermine the USSR. Bloody Hell !!!
  • [quote]Originally posted by Faylorn:
    [b]Both World Trade Centers in Manhattan hit by two twin-engine jet planes. FBI suspects terrorist activity.[/b][/quote]

What's scary is my sister was just promoted to a senior manager at Deloitte & Touche (a national accounting firm) and they had a party planned for _tomorrow_ to celebrate the promotions...at the World Trade Center.
    [quote]Originally posted by eamonmca:
    [b] Any idea where the transcript is?

About the heroism part, Definitely.[/b][/quote]

I was listening to it being read over AP and NPR webcast.