Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Not Funny!

Though I can't deny that Babylon 5 is the best written show ever made you have to admit that it has one major fault...................

It just wasn't funny! Many of the humerous moments are excrutiating to watch, and often ruin the episode that they are in!

For example, I was watching a season 3 episode today- the one where Delenn and a Minbari captain are kidnapped by Nightwatch members (the name escapes me) and what they go and do! They put in this bit about a forgotten computer personality that plauges Garibaldi- that completely offsets the mood of the piece.

Are there any other gripes (as well as the whole of the 5th series) that anyone has?

Sorry if i've offended anyone............... :robot:

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I enjoy corny humor, so I enjoyed it somewhat.

But i'll admit, B5 did lack some sophisticated humor, although it was present.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I never really felt that anything was wrong with the humour in B5, but I will admit that some of it was a tad painful to watch.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    "I think I am going to sue someone..."

That was pain
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Some of it was funny.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Actually I love the humorous bits. They let you know the show is not taking itself too seriously.

My favorites generaly involve Londo or G'Kar, especially Londo.

[I]...in purple, I am stunning![/i]

Jake
  • LorienLorien The First One
    actualy that is good. personaly, I could never stand humor in sci-fi, so glad B5 wasnt full of it.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    B5 had many great, funny moments, but also had scenes where the humor fell flat.

But ya know what? That's just like real life. The fact that characters didn't deliver every line with Shakespearean precision is one of the things I liked about the show.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    Just a couple of things I found funny

the "zip then fasten or fasten then zip?" dialogue.
    --------
    "I think I'll stick my head in the station's fusion reactor. It would be quicker, and, I suspect, after a while I might even come to enjoy it. But this . . . this, this is like being nibbled to death by ahhh . . . what are those Earth creatures called: feathers, long bills, webbed feet, go 'quack'?"
    "Cats."

"Cats. I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

------------
    "There's no alcohol in here, is there?"
    "Alcohol? No, of course not. Here, drink up."

"Because my people do not react well at all to alcohol. Even a small quantity causes psychotic impulses and violent, homicidal rages."

"Ahhhhhh . . . alcohol? My mistake. Miss Hammer? Just water for him, thank you."
    -------------
    "You don't frighten easily."
    "I work for Ambassador Mollari. After a while, nothing bothers you."
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    people, people people !

do I even need to say it ?

it must be one of the most zen and funny bits of dialogue Ive seen in Sci-fi...
    "Woo-hoo?"

:D
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    "Beep Beep? Must be Earth humor"
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    I always thought that Marcus had the funniest lines in the series, myself.

For some reason, his and Ivanova's exchange at the end of Exogenesis always cracks me up...
    Or when Susan fell asleep at breakfast and they stole her food
    The stealing food scene is great. :)
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Or when Susan fell asleep at breakfast and they stole her food [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, 'twas excellent!
  • "You're having delusions of gradure again."

"Well, If you're going to have delusions you might as well make them the really satisfying ones."
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I think the humor of B5 was well done.
  • NelnoNelno Trainee
    "No, I understand that there are two factions, but what is your point of contention? Where do you disagree with each other?"
    "Purple."
    "Green."

----------------------

"Sometimes I feel as if my eye itches. How can it itch if its no longer there!?"

----------------------

Though the one that takes the cake for me, is when you see G'Kar's artificial eye on the table by Sheridan and Delenn's wedding bed.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I actually enjoyed alot of the humor thrown in. Particularly Ivanova's "sex" with the Lumanti ambassador. :D

"Next time, my way!"

[img]http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/img] (we seriously need this smilie)

Also, that bit where Garabaldi tried to hack the computer and end up screwing up his door was a riot! :D
    Done. :laugh:
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Not many fishes left in the sea, not many fishes, just Londo and me..... :D
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Or when Susan fell asleep at breakfast and they stole her food [/B][/QUOTE]

They didn't steal her food.

Sinclair and Garibaldi replaced their own plates of food with empty plates, so when they woke Ivanova up, she would think she slept through dinner.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]I actually enjoyed alot of the humor thrown in. Particularly Ivanova's "sex" with the Lumanti ambassador. :D[/b][/quote]

I like what the Lumanti ambassador said afterwards: "I'll call you."
  • Whitestar 15Whitestar 15 Earthforce Officer
    I thought that Vir was quite funny throughout the whole series...although there was one major bit that made me cringe in Season 4...the episode where Garibaldi, Lyta and Franklin go rescue Sheridan and Lyta is going on about sueing (right spelling?) someone because she's a bad liar or something...I can't really remember the exact dialogue but it makes me cringe everytime I see/hear it lol.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]They didn't steal her food.

Sinclair and Garibaldi replaced their own plates of food with empty plates, so when they woke Ivanova up, she would think she slept through dinner. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm fairly sure it was breakfast.
  • Whitestar 15Whitestar 15 Earthforce Officer
    Yeah I think it was breakfast...it was because she wasn't sleeping well in space or something wasn't it???? Oooo I can't remember...it's in season 1 though because I remember seeing it from when I was watching my season 1 DVDs...
    It was breakfast
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I liked it in Hunter, Prey, when after they've gotten Jacobs and Franklin is stitching up Garibaldi after he got stabbed with that screwdriver.

Garibaldi: *pricked by Franklin* Ow! Hey, you were his teacher. What did he get in first aid?
    Franklin: 4.0.
    Jacobs: 3.7.
    Garibaldi: *pricked by Franklin again* Ow!
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    The scene with Ivanova falling asleep was DEFINITELY breakfast. That was the same scene with Sinclair's "The time I really learned to appreciate mornings..." line in it (which is what made Ivanova fall asleep in the first place).
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    yep, the time he was with monks somewhere, and in the morning they did 3 hours of meditations.. inhale, exhale... inhale, exhale...

i think it was in babylon squared
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    londo: CAN ANYONE HEAR ME?!?!?

G'Kar: [SIZE=1]I hear you *Giggles*[/SIZE]

and the Not many fishies...left in the sea...not many fishies, just londo and me...

LMAO!